Hacking GATEWAY 3DS IS PREPARING A BIG UPDATE IN APRIL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's not even that. It depends on what people DO with their 3DSes too.

For example, someone who never uses cheats has no reason to use a Gateway nor NTR, and Luma is enough. Someone who uses cheats *sometimes* has no reason to wait for Gateway's support for 11.4 when Luma+NTR covers their needs.
But someone who uses cheats *everyday* (for example a cheat that displays the monster on the map on MH in solo because the game is called "Monster Hunter" and not "Map Explorer") has no reason to wait for NTR to boot a game when Gateway does it faster.

And I'm not talking about the operations needed before running the game, I'm talking about loading times. When I wanted to stream Smash to record a replay with NTR, it spent more than 4 minutes on that stupid "Accessing the SD Card" loading screen. And I really mean "more than 4 minutes", I was so bored after some time that I started recording it with my phone and the video lasts for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, Gateway does not have any impact on loading times. Guess who I'll chose if Gateway's secret feature is "screen streaming".

And same, I have a9lh (probably had it long before that fanboy) and Luma, but I still have my Gateway lying around somewhere.
Best post on the topic to date

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one thing i can say about Gateway is that those who purchased a cart on day one have still been given support after all these years, Gateway could have easily released a new cart to improve features like Sk3DS but Gateway are loyal to all its customers.

end of the day the cart still works a treat, its getting tiring listening to people bitch about them because people forgot to follow the day one 1 and never perform a console update.

its not Gateway's fault people cant follow simple rules or understand the common fact that console updates have always been to block exploits.

over the years Gateway have brought its users features such as cheat codes and I understand that yes this new update is taking some time and delaying emunand updates(1) but id rather have them delay this crap to ensure its new features are tested before releasing(2).

(1) end of the day you are pirating, if you want full access and online gaming then how about buying your games and playing on a legit system - this way you will have 100% access
(2) you'd all be bitching if Gateway rushed this update and its features had bugs that broke your system, its bad enough people blame Gateway when they cant follow the Fastboot guide or other guides and brick the console.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Unrecoverable with a hard mod? How is that possible?
It can cause a MCU brick, to he mcu is basically the thing that controls various things on the 3ds such as LED states etc, apparently the 2.1 firmware can cause a bad state to be pushed to the MCU which bricks the MCU itself, which means the system cannot power on

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Unrecoverable with a hard mod? How is that possible?
Different part that gets corrupted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It can cause a MCU brick, to he mcu is basically the thing that controls various things on the 3ds such as LED states etc, apparently the 2.1 firmware can cause a bad state to be pushed to the MCU which bricks the MCU itself, which means the system cannot power on
Is the MCU a seperate chip or is it all baked in to the sysnand chip?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
In theory, since you know these stuff heck of a lot better than I, would it be possible to exchange a MCU from a donor 3DS?
Yeah probably, although most people would probably just swap out for a replacement mainboard (it's a bga chip so not something you average hobbiest tinkerer could do)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah probably, although most people would probably just swap out for a replacement mainboard
I have access to a broken N3DS mainboard though (de-soldering accident... ripped off a solder pad that apparently had a micro-via attached to CLK) so the MCU swap would be the first thing for me to try. But I'd hate to do it with a soldering iron... I need to order a reflow station. The one I had my eye on a few days ago was out of stock :(

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have access to a broken N3DS mainboard though (de-soldering accident... ripped off a solder pad that apparently had a micro-via attached to CLK) so the MCU swap would be the first thing for me to try. But I'd hate to do it with a soldering iron... I need to order a reflow station. The one I had my eye on a few days ago was out of stock :(
Mcu swap would only really fix a mcu brick, have you tried bridging the 2 clk points, that has worked for a few people who ripped the clk points, if just depends on which pad was ripped etc, but always woth a shot

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol do people honestly think gateway is dead because its 2 firmwares behind? it can easily be updated. its really annoying how people take every opportunity when most are totally idiotic to piss on gateway.

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol do people honestly think gateway is dead because its 2 firmwares behind? it can easily be updated. its really annoying how people take every opportunity when most are totally idiotic to piss on gateway.
Its not that its dead, its just slacking a shit ton. They didnt even put firm protection for A9LH at all?!?!? Thats just crazy. Hopefully they see how much its needed and adds it for gods sake. If not, im not touching it.

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not that its dead, its just slacking a shit ton. They didnt even put firm protection for A9LH at all?!?!? Thats just crazy. Hopefully they see how much its needed and adds it for gods sake. If not, im not touching it.
i doubt they will. they dont have to. everyone just uses normal a9lh then side boots gw and they know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!