• Likes 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I do not get why people are being so finicky about the Gateway 3DS. I mean, I remember one poster harking to the early days of flashcards that needed technical knowledge to use. (Indeed, GBA Flashcards already had all the memory you could use, some of them only holding one game! Even so, you needed to plug the card into the Parallel Port and load the ROMs using a loader! You even needed Pogoshell for proper memory arrangement! Also, the earliest DS Flashcards required to first use the GBA slot in order to bypass the DS protection, that is, a PassMe. Only later you could flash your own firmware into the DS, that is, FlashMe, yet, even then, you had to crash PictoChat in order to see the type of firmware your Nintendoo DS has! Now, the DS Nitro and DS Lite are protected against the updates of the DSi, having some people gloat over the fact that they have these older systems!) Then again, I remember people hoping that the 3DS Flashcards would not come for a while to let Nintendoo get some money, first!

Also, why is everyone getting so hard on the Gateway 3DS? This is the first 3DS flashcard (Crown 3DS not counting). Of course, they would hit on some kinks along the way! We need to let the Gateway 3DS develop before we get all those advanced features (multiboot, homebrew...)! After all, there was once a time when we actually measured DS flashcards by the amount of ROMs playable by the flashcards! Plus, given how this flashcard can play lots of ROMs, this flashcard pays for itself many times over. $80 is nothing compared to the ~$120 GBA flashcards once upon a time.

Honestly, I am optimistic about this. I am still waiting for GBATemp to review the card, though.

Thank you.

LeSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking forward to the review. I am however a bit worried, what about the save games? As I've read the save game is stored directly on the flash card itself, making it impossible to just switch games by switching the sd card, without losing the save data that is. Isn't that a huge problem? I haven't seen many of you commenting on that.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to the review. I am however a bit worried, what about the save games? As I've read the save game is stored directly on the flash card itself, making it impossible to just switch games by switching the sd card, without losing the save data that is. Isn't that a huge problem? I haven't seen many of you commenting on that.
Actually plenty of people have commented on it, but it has since been buried by tons of the same questions/comments/concerns over and over again.

Yes, it is a huge problem. They are currently working on finding a way to safely save your saves (or so they say). It's also possible that the various save dongles will work with Gateway. We won't know until it's released, though.

LeSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually plenty of people have commented on it, but it has since been buried by tons of the same questions/comments/concerns over and over again.

Yes, it is a huge problem. They are currently working on finding a way to safely save your saves (or so they say). It's also possible that the various save dongles will work with Gateway. We won't know until it's released, though.

I see.. I haven't read more than 10 pages back, as it was, as you say, mostly the same stuff that was brought up.

I didn't know about the existence of save dongles (I'm new to the scene), that could be a possibility. It doesn't seem like it's much of a hassle to use a USB dongle or something like that. Well, let's see if they can actually fix the stuff they say they're working on. It feels to me like they're trying to get this out as quick as possible, maybe before alternatives come up, before we get to question their work too much. I hope that's wrong though, I'm very excited for this.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

NickTorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a reply from Gateway 3DS that seemed like an actual reply to my questions. They state the card wasn't blocked, but it currently does not work on firmware 6.0 and they have to adapt the code for the card to work. The initial shipment is not delayed, but will require an update for it to work on 6.0.

Reactions: manu-m3

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a reply from Gateway 3DS that seemed like an actual reply to my questions. They state the card wasn't blocked, but it currently does not work on firmware 6.0 and they have to adapt the code for the card to work. The initial shipment is not delayed, but will require an update for it to work on 6.0.

Can you get an image of the email in particular?

Reactions: DiabloStorm

LeSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Please provide some evidence of this statement. If that is true, it's huge news.

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does that mean they use some kind of software exploit for Gateway to work? or else why they need to adapt code for new version of system menu?

NickTorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My original email:

> Does your team have an eta on when the card will work on the newest firmware?
> I have been keeping up with the GBATemp forums, and the lack of confirmation
> from you guys almost definitely says that you know it is blocked on the newest
> firmware or you would have come out cheering that it still works as it takes 5
> minutse to test this kind of thing. Is this going to delay the initial
> shipments while you guys work on a solution, or are you going to release a
> card that only works on firmwares 5.1 and below?

> Thanks

Reply:

It is not going to delay shipment, and it will be released on a later update.
Nothing is blocked (Nintendo does not know how we get in anyway since no one had
the production unit yet). Just it requires some work to adapt the code, and it
is no ready yet. It might be for launch, otherwise it will be available a bit
later with an update.

LeSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My original email:

> from you guys almost definitely says that you know it is blocked on the newest
> firmware or you would have come out cheering that it still works as it takes 5

> Thanks

Reply:

Nothing is blocked (Nintendo does not know how we get in anyway since no one had
later with an update.

Very interresting, thank you!

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My original email:

> Thanks

Reply:

later with an update.

YAY!! :yaynds:

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly means code for the Programmable Logic (FPGA)?
my point is, if they use 1:1 hardware emulation and nintendo doesn't implemented new checks in 6.x, why they need to adapt code for it? it may make sense if they use some exploit and there's different offsets or timings in new firmware required to trigger it.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm a newb, but how does "it will require an update for it to work on 6.0" not equal being blocked? Unless they meant permablocked?

adelsmud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
my point is, if they use 1:1 hardware emulation and nintendo doesn't implemented new checks in 6.x, why they need to adapt code for it? it may make sense if they use some exploit and there's different offsets or timings in new firmware required to trigger it.

Ah yes, I would guess it's certainly blocked. Perhaps Nintendo got wind of it and looked in the area to see if they could add additional checks - and they did.

LeSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah well.. I guess you're right, it's blocked as of now. They however make it sound like a solution is in fact on its way, and that this is not impossible. I think that's reassuring.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My original email:

> Thanks

Reply:

later with an update.

Very interesting news, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what happens. I have not updated my 3DS XL yet and will not til this is resolved

nordini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I just got my 3DS XL and its only on V4.0, but i'm going ahead and updating anyways. I have faith they will get it working on 6. And if not, it's not worth it if I can't play Animal Crossing.

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My original email:

> Thanks

Reply:

later with an update.

I knew that nintendo couldn't have blocked it before it was released lol That's just nearly impossible to figure out how their system was exploited before they even knew where to look,

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I knew that nintendo couldn't have blocked it before it was released lol That's just nearly impossible to figure out how their system was exploited before they even knew where to look,

Yes because it's not like people lie or anything like that.

Reactions: DiabloStorm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users