Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but only idiots would buy it because of its firmware. I bought a new 3DSXL for $175 recently (albeit plus tax), and it had a GW-compatible firmware. Anyone who pays any attention whatsoever should know that they'd be better off sticking to stores, unless they can get a good deal on a secondhand from a friend or whatnot.

or Craigslist. I was sooooo Close to getting a red 3DS(4.3.10u) with KH3: Dream drop distance, a pokemon game and a mario game downloaded to the sd card all for $70 but the owner fucked me over and sold it to someone else

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or Craigslist. I was sooooo Close to getting a red 3DS(4.3.10u) with KH3: Dream drop distance, a pokemon game and a mario game downloaded to the sd card all for $70 but the owner fucked me over and sold it to someone else
Well that's because you spent too much time trying to lowball him down to $50!

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's because you spent too much time trying to lowball him down to $50!

Lol naa, after he said he was firm on $70 we agreed i would buy it and then he said okay. So i texted him like 6 times between that day and the day after and he didnt respond. The next time he responds he's like "I already sold it to someone else, tough cookies. Im like >_>

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XD lol. At least right now the GW isn't widely known, so people aren't taking advantage of the situation by over pricing their 3DSs on ebay or other selling sites. That might change after a few months of it's release though.

Like I'm going to spend money on yet another 3DS XL.

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is actually incorrect. The exploit that Gateway uses is present all the way to 6.2, they just have to edit the necessary code to make it work.

Source Email from Gateway Team:

"it is just requiring some work, but it will be done, as the same exploit is there on 5.x and up to 6.2"

Before anybody says it, I'm not helping Nintendo patch it by saying this now that Gateway is in the wild.

so u have only change the .dat file iin order to update the card (so no updating on the 3ds itself?

umdking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So , many people are interested in the coming Pokemon XY and MH4,how do you guys think about the possibility that Gateway card can run these two games?
IMO Nintendo generally could make blockades in two ways to prevent Gateway running these two big titles.
1 Commencing building some kind of Firmware/Software blockades.---Since these two games finished developing(almost)and coming soon,not too much space/time left to Nintendo to do anything in Firmware/Software scene. So I don't think Gateway will face too big challenge from this way.
2 Using some special hardware design on the retail game card,just like what they did to Animal Crossing(special save nand chip).---I think they'll possibly make some obstacles in this way,though technically using special memory chips is not an original anti-pirates measure.It seems very effective for the Animal Crossing example and we don't know whether/when the Gateway team can solve this kind of problems.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
so u have only change the .dat file iin order to update the card (so no updating on the 3ds itself?

that is correct
all we had to do to update from 1.0 to 1.1 was copy the new Launcher.dat to the SD card

So , many people are interested in the coming Pokemon XY and MH4,how do you guys think about the possibility that Gateway card can run these two games?
IMO Nintendo generally could make blockades in two ways to prevent Gateway running these two big titles.
1 Commencing building some kind of Firmware/Software blockades.---Since these two games finished developing(almost)and coming soon,not too much space/time left to Nintendo to do anything in Firmware/Software scene. So I don't think Gateway will face too big challenge from this way.
2 Using some special hardware design on the retail game card,just like what they did to Animal Crossing(special save nand chip).---I think they'll possibly make some obstacles in this way,though technically using special memory chips is not an original anti-pirates measure.It seems very effective for the Animal Crossing example and we don't know whether/when the Gateway team can solve this kind of problems.

i think they will be able to delay the gateway but not stop it

from the looks of nintendo we will now more than likely see NAND saving
and software that installs to the 3DS on game boot (e.g. pokemon could install a 3DS app storage box for 1 console cross game trading) and that app would have to be installed on game boot as well as firmware requirements for that game and would enable more Firmware checks of flags that need passing. but again thats more of a slowdown as all the Gateway team need to do is implement the checks and flags in the Launcher.dat (tho it may take longer to boot into GWMode)

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's out of beta.

We would like to thank all our beta testers for their timely response and reporting.

Common minor issues we are aware of are:

1) The lack of upper screen banner for some titles which trigger both region and firmware spoof requirements.
2) Some expected issues related to language fonts

There have been some unique reports of issues related to title exit or first GW3DS entry after installing the update. We believe these are either related to file fragmentation of the 3DS SD card or some users trimming the titles to fit on the red card's micro SD. Please make sure to try a new SD card for the 3DS as well as micro SD for the Gateway card together with a known good un-modified title, where possible.

Installation of the update is simple, download our release here: http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads.htmland simply replace the "Launcher.dat" file on the 3DS SD card. ENJOY !!

Reactions: sonic2756

Pigfoot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well 3ds-flashcart.com is useless!!, they say on their site they ship within 24hours, they still haven't shipped my order and in an email they told me to be more patient.. pffft!!! for an official site that is really sucky.

bluejon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Or pawnshops I got a purple 3ds at a pawnshop for $80 and it was in great condition no scratches, charger, sd card on firmware 4.4.0-10U :yaynds:

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

i already own a 3ds but if gatweway doesn get released for 6.0 im gonna to buy a secend 3ds and a gataway

umdking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i think they will be able to delay the gateway but not stop it
It does make sense and I really hope so.:)
I wonder what are the possible solutions they(Gateway) could use to implement the SLC NAND saving function? building some APIs in order to emulate the function by software?or just turn to do some research on the eShop version of Animal Crossing(apparently this one saves data on the SD card).Which way is more pratical?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe