Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

tjexp

Happy New Year!
Trophies
XP
Country
70 dollars is nothing! Abou 100 gbp for that over here second hand so about 120 id jump at the chance to get it for 70
I remember Blockbuster here in the UK selling 3DS for £80 at one point but I couldn't find any in stock due to people buying multiple :(

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
I remember Blockbuster here in the UK selling 3DS for £80 at one point but I couldn't find any in stock due to people buying multiple :(
That's cheap, looking a 3ds xl in a few months for my bday hopin t get one for around 130 to 150 with no scrapes on screen

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Still waiting for us poor sods who updated by accident to be a part of the illuminati, er, I mean to be a part of those who are able to use the Gateway already :creep:
Yea hopefully by the time I'm geting one so don't have t hope for low fw lol would love homebrew so can play my snes games on it to lol

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im Haggling with a guy on Craiglist to buy his 4.3.10u for $50. Hopefully he says yes :P

EDIT: He's firm on $70 :L.

EDIT 2: The asshole stopped answering my Text messages T_T

Dude you should have taken it for $70 if it was in decent shape.....once word gets out that hackers/modders are coveting 3DS on 4.5 or below people will be jacking up the price to more than a new one!

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well pre-ordering in June paid off with modchipcentral.com as I was in the first batch of 50 they got yesterday and was shippied today and got my tracking #......It arriving Monday as I am in the US but not too far from their Canadian location. I am so excited I am about to jump out of my skin. Then I got a deal today on 5 8gb micro SD cards at Office max. They were on sale for $8 per but had a I day $10 off 40 coupon so got the 5 off them for $30 plus tax (hell the even had the SD card adapter in there which I now have about a dozen of). So I am all set in that I now have 4x4gb, and 5x8GB cards. I even have a couple of 16gb but will hold out on using those until a multi-rom solution comes forth.

Now that GW v1.1 is out I wonder what the team is working on next....will they work on the 5.x/6.x compatibility next or homebrew/multirom??? I am guessing 5.x/6.x as that could significantly expand their sales base which will make them money and help further fund their development of extra features. I have a 4.5 3DS and a 5.1 XL so hoping they get the 5.x/6.x nut cracked so I can use the XL which also has all my abassador stuff tranferred to it and my other eShop purchases. In the long run I am planning to keep one machine for gateway and keep the other one udpated for official use.

A few thoughts about things I have read that transpired the last few days since being out of the thread......

1. Rom trimming is not messing with the signing because normally it is the executables or run time files that get signed, not all the files. So everything being trimmed is just dead space and the 'game' doesn't even know it is missing. I am not messing with it because I have enough cards of different sizes and their are currently only 2 4GB games out that I am aware of Resident evil and DKCR. Gateway team said in their last post they think some people having crash/lock problems 'could' be related to trimming so until we get multigame capability why bother. With that said hey if you can get it to work for you and make some game work on a smaller SD then go for it.

2. The game save features will be worked arround, as others have said Nintendo has used different save formats in carts as piracy 'protection' ever since the GB. Once gateway gets to where they can run unsigned code (homebrew, multigame, everything else they are promising and I fully believe they will deliver) then scene member types will make a nice rom patching tool that will be able to defeat any type of save crap Nintendo tries and will also be able to patch what I am sure will be the AP stuff that will be coming.

3. I am guessing we will never see 6.x released as a cartridge update. The spoofing will likely work on any game up thru 6.x which will be the stuff that comes out this fall. By the time Nintendo releases Pokemon and Zelda expect them to be throwing out a new firmware that spoofing will not work with, expect them to be using more NAND saves like AC and expect them to be implementing AP code in the games themselves. All of which as history has proven can be defeated.

As I state in my previous, lengthy posts, all this is speculation on my part, but it is speculation based on a lifetime of being on the scene and playing with modding technology. I have been at this stuff since many of you were in diapers so I have 'scene' it all. The important thing is 4.5 is cracked wide open and they are tampering with the firmware to do things like open the cartridge slot and do their save dumping/loading. It takes time to disect a firmware and find the relevant code needed bypass 'security features'. As much as I respect and give credit to gateway, the sooner they get 'cracked' by other teams the better because then we will have more resources working on disecting the 3DS firmware and the sooner we get to unsigned code or even the full promise land of a true CFW.

From the way this has unfolded I think gateway is a fairly small team with some cash restraints. Look at how it took them several months since proof of concept to launch, and look at how staged (meaning slow) their first production cycle has been. If they were big and cash flush like some of the other more established HK flash card makers they would have had a much larger first production run. Again speculation, but really who cares, if they have a solid product and they keep updating and supporting it then I am their biggest fan! Also $80 is really not to bad considering you are really getting both a 3DS and a DS flashcart. Hell if you throw a 16GB in the DS cart you can pretty much have over 100 games and about everything ever made worth playing on the DS at your disposal as well.....yes Reggie.....my body is ready!

umdking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
1. Rom trimming is not messing with the signing because normally it is the executables or run time files that get signed, not all the files. So everything being trimmed is just dead space and the 'game' doesn't even know it is missing. I am not messing with it because I have enough cards of different sizes and their are currently only 2 4GB games out that I am aware of Resident evil and DKCR. Gateway team said in their last post they think some people having crash/lock problems 'could' be related to trimming so until we get multigame capability why bother. With that said hey if you can get it to work for you and make some game work on a smaller SD then go for it.

2. The game save features will be worked arround, as others have said Nintendo has used different save formats in carts as piracy 'protection' ever since the GB. Once gateway gets to where they can run unsigned code (homebrew, multigame, everything else they are promising and I fully believe they will deliver) then scene member types will make a nice rom patching tool that will be able to defeat any type of save crap Nintendo tries and will also be able to patch what I am sure will be the AP stuff that will be coming.

3. I am guessing we will never see 6.x released as a cartridge update. The spoofing will likely work on any game up thru 6.x which will be the stuff that comes out this fall. By the time Nintendo releases Pokemon and Zelda expect them to be throwing out a new firmware that spoofing will not work with, expect them to be using more NAND saves like AC and expect them to be implementing AP code in the games themselves. All of which as history has proven can be defeated.

As I state in my previous, lengthy posts, all this is speculation on my part, but it is speculation based on a lifetime of being on the scene and playing with modding technology. I have been at this stuff since many of you were in diapers so I have 'scene' it all. The important thing is 4.5 is cracked wide open and they are tampering with the firmware to do things like open the cartridge slot and do their save dumping/loading. It takes time to disect a firmware and find the relevant code needed bypass 'security features'. As much as I respect and give credit to gateway, the sooner they get 'cracked' by other teams the better because then we will have more resources working on disecting the 3DS firmware and the sooner we get to unsigned code or even the full promise land of a true CFW.
Reasonable conclusions.
i'm curious about when/how they could do some work to deal with the NAND saving games.
And i hope they will enable local multiplayer when running region unlocked games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys think there's any chance that Gateway can work with FW 5.1.0 anytime soon?
My crystal ball is broken, my time machine is out of gas, and the star signs are a bit foggy at the moment, sorry.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
My crystal ball is broken, my time machine is out of gas, and the star signs are a bit foggy at the moment, sorry.

Wait a second. Your time machine runs on GAS?
You must have really old model.
My time machine (from year 4125) does not need energy at all.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Where can I get one of these gas-powered time machines? Oh wait, never mind, I have one took, but it runs on dilithium crystals :P

Gateway says 1 week to 3 months.
Good, and if it works for 6.2 (such as the one I accidentally updated to ROFL) then you can bet your sweet arse that I'll be getting a Gateway. Hell, now that the very basics of homebrew are being worked on (same thing with that, it will be a very long time, but it's being worked on) that's another reason why I really want one :P

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when gateway works could be fun but i have a non-working gateway...

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-crashes-when-game-starts.353444/

:hateit:

Dude you are like the only person in that thread which you started that has a broken unit......so I would either try to take it up with your distributor or try emailing gateway and see if they will replace it for you.......If you bought from a newbie or unkown distributor then shame on you as we should all know in the 'grey market' scene that is a bad idea. I bought from modchipcentral which for NA is about as good as it gets...they are reputable, have been around for years, have fast shipping/processing and also put a 6month guarentee on the gateway so if I get a bad one they will make it right. Some times its just bad luck and that sucks but for sure I would try to the distributor to make it right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://imgur.com/gallery/yzZudfW