Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, you could always use save states.

i've played legendary superwarriors on gameyob and used both sram saves and savestates and both work for me.

my first guess would have been that you simply didn't use the save command in the game, but since you say lameboy saved your game, you probably know how to save ingame and the difference between autosave sram and savestates.

try this: first, remove the .sav file thats on your card. 2. remove any weird symbols from the roms name like brackets and , and shorten the name down if it has like (multi 5) (en, ger, nl, fr, etc etc).
I've experienced problems with some games on some flashcards and some emulators on random consoles. when trying to create a file, sometimes symbols or too long a filename cause the emulators to mess up and not be able to properly work.

also, in case the name has any region specific letters like german äöü ) or é ô or something like that, get rid of that too. a bunch of programs have problems with these too

ureru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, you could always use save states.

i've played legendary superwarriors on gameyob and used both sram saves and savestates and both work for me.

my first guess would have been that you simply didn't use the save command in the game, but since you say lameboy saved your game, you probably know how to save ingame and the difference between autosave sram and savestates.

try this: first, remove the .sav file thats on your card. 2. remove any weird symbols from the roms name like brackets and , and shorten the name down if it has like (multi 5) (en, ger, nl, fr, etc etc).
I've experienced problems with some games on some flashcards and some emulators on random consoles. when trying to create a file, sometimes symbols or too long a filename cause the emulators to mess up and not be able to properly work.

also, in case the name has any region specific letters like german äöü ) or é ô or something like that, get rid of that too. a bunch of programs have problems with these too

First of all thank you very much for the quick response, I really do appreciate it very much. I actually edited in an additional paragraph to the bottom of my first post just after you posted, since I didn't see your post yet then, so that may give some useful information, I don't know.

Yes I used the save command in game. Then after that, in my tests today I pressed the X button, followed by the exit function. When I loaded the game up again, there was nothing but a "New Game" option. So yes I'm trying to save the SRAM, not using savestates. But savestates do work fine, and so I at least have that as another option. However, it isn't as great of an option because these savestates probably only work with gameyob. I doubt I can, for example, load it up in VBA.

The file name I used yesterday, for the ROM, was "DBZ_LSW.gbc" which is the name I gave it. Therefore it generated a "DBZ_LSW.sav" in the same directory. Because of your suggestion I tried renaming it to "dbzlsw.gbc" and removed the save file, and then I tried to save my SRAM again with exactly the same results.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Drenn, hay otro error Wario Land 3, en la primera fase a la que desee ir a la tecla azul. ¿Qué estoy yo uso excepto archivo te refieres? Quiero ayudar a corregir los errores en Wario Land 3.
Gameyob, mejor emulador gbc gb y ahora quiero leer los juegos que me gustan 100%.
Perdone mi expresión, mi idioma principal es el español, I know little English, para llegar a lo que tienes que ir a google traductor. I express myself as much as possible.

i can try to translate it, my language is similair to spanish.

drenn there is another error on wario land 3, in the first level i want to go in the blue button

desconocido, él quiere que el archivo de salvar (.sav)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lets try this out once, here's the version of gameyob i'm using (for testing purposes, I just tried saving ingame with autosave on and its all working fine for me).

i also included my sav (its for the us version), you can try and see if it loads for you or not.
and my ini file for gameyob, just in case. but try it with that gameyob version first.

Attachments

• Neuer Ordner.zip
    223.5 KB · Views: 173

ureru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lets try this out once, here's the version of gameyob i'm using (for testing purposes, I just tried saving ingame with autosave on and its all working fine for me).

i also included my sav (its for the us version), you can try and see if it loads for you or not.
and my ini file for gameyob, just in case. but try it with that gameyob version first.

Alright, I tried your version of gameyob with your save file and your config.

Basically I've narrowed down the problem a bit now.

I can load your save file fine. However, when I go to save the game (even just by going into Battle mode and using the save function there), and then go to reload the game, all that's left is a "New Game" option. It completely wipes the save file clean, apparently, every time it copies the SRAM to the SD card.

With regard to this saving issue, your version of gameyob seems to be no different from mine. Your config file also doesn't seem to make any difference. I then thought it might be that I somehow ended up with a bad gbc_bios.bin but whether or not I leave that file there, it makes no difference.

I'm now even more confused than I already was...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i guess the same problem happens in other games then too.
at which point i would have to guess that maybe, your sd card or your flashcard/firmware is the problem.
it really doesn't make sense that it doesnt work. do you maybe use an old type of flashcard that would require gameyob to be dldi patched first?

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It sounds like chkdsk needs to be run use the command prompt as administrator and type chkdsk :x /X /R

Replace x with the drive letter of your SD card. If this doesn't work backup your sdcard download and run the Panasonic SD formatter use the option full(overwrite), this tends to fix filesystem errors on fat32 cards

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've discovered that some flashcart+mSD combinations have write issues for certain homebrew programs. I have a kingston card that works fine with the gateway blue card but not the dstwo. However, a samsung card works fine with the dstwo

ureru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm using the Acekard 2i with AKAIO 1.9.0 software.

I've only tried playing this game on my DSi that has 1.4.4U software on it. But I think that doesn't matter. I just tried it on my old DS Lite and got the same result.

I haven't tried playing other games with gameyob. Only DBZ:LSW. Admittedly, I probably should have at least tried other things to help get more information on this problem.

....Okay, so I just tried to play Pokemon Silver and it's doing the same thing. I made a new file, named my character, got to the part where I can walk around in my room, and then saved, and tried the X button/exit thing, reloaded the game, and the only options that are there are "NEW GAME" and "OPTION."

So yeah, I don't know what to do here. Hmmm.

ureru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It sounds like chkdsk needs to be run use the command prompt as administrator and type chkdsk :x /X /R

Replace x with the drive letter of your SD card. If this doesn't work backup your sdcard download and run the Panasonic SD formatter use the option full(overwrite), this tends to fix filesystem errors on fat32 cards

I'm running linux and I don't have easy access to a windows system, so I decided to run fsck -rv on the partition as an attempt at a substitute. But it didn't seem to find any problems, and the save issue is still there. I don't know, maybe I should try and find a way to run chkdsk...

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a linux port of the SDFormatter utility? That's been the most consistent way I've been able to take care of a misbehaving SD card. However, it benefits most when I am able to perform a FLASH format rather than a simple erase/quick format in those cases. And annoyingly your ability to do that depends on the ability of your SD reader to support that functionality. And that's a bit of a crap shoot.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ureru, pressing X or selecting "exit" do nothing to the save file when autosaving is enabled. It seems that autosaving isn't working properly, for whatever reason. Try disabling it. Then you'll need to save manually, which functions the same as lameboy.

I will see what I can do, about finding what's wrong with autosaving...

ureru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, I backed up my data and used gparted to write a new partition table (MBR) and a new partition (fat32) to my SD card, and copied all my stuff back, and now autosaving apparently works fine. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird. I find it strange that lameboy had no issues with my filesystem even though gameyob apparently did. But oh well. If the problem is remedied then I'm happy.

Thank you for your help everyone. I know you guys didn't have to help me out and I really do appreciate it.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ureru, pressing X or selecting "exit" do nothing to the save file when autosaving is enabled. It seems that autosaving isn't working properly, for whatever reason. Try disabling it. Then you'll need to save manually, which functions the same as lameboy.

I will see what I can do, about finding what's wrong with autosaving...
Oh, so I'm not crazy then... this seems to be something that got broken recently. It did work at some point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F