Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

the_muteKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. So this has already greatly exceeded my expectations -- in particular the support for the GB printer and the initial SGB border for supporting GBC games are things I wasn't expecting. This is quite clearly the definitive emulator for GB games right now, at least on DS (and still better than playing GB games on 3DS VC because *color*).

I was curious about the viability of a couple features. In a couple backward-compatible GBC games, such as Wario Land 2, Pokemon TCG, and the Game and Watch Galleries, the Super Game Boy border is somewhat dynamic, changing in the first case based on which level is being played and in the second on which badges the player has collected. Since I don't know of any emulator that's even tried to implement this as a feature (except for possibly bgb? and even then they admit it's pretty buggy if it's what I'm thinking of) it does seem like something that would probably be completely unfeasible. I can't say I'll be particularly miffed if this can't be done, since having even the static initial SGB border is more than I expected, and outside of the game and watch classic mode borders they're usually not much to write home about.

Other feature I'm curious about is probably a bit out-of-scope but is something that has been done in at least some emulators before, though not ones focused only on GB stuff -- implementing SGB enhanced sound for games that support it, like Donkey Kong or Animaniacs. I have no idea if there's a quick-and-dirty hack that would make this possible without having to build an entire SNES emulator though, since I know embarrassingly little about how the SGB actually sends that enhanced sound data to the SNES. (Hell, I'd probably buy the argument that there just isn't space in RAM for the samples in question.) The lack of it is more frustrating to me than the previous issue though, just because otherwise, say, Animaniacs is a choice between color OR sound, and damn if I don't love the little "help help" sound in Donkey Kong.

Even then I still see these as "might be nice to have" more than "necessary to keep games from being broken" sorts of features.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK. So this has already greatly exceeded my expectations -- in particular the support for the GB printer and the initial SGB border for supporting GBC games are things I wasn't expecting. This is quite clearly the definitive emulator for GB games right now, at least on DS (and still better than playing GB games on 3DS VC because *color*).

I was curious about the viability of a couple features. In a couple backward-compatible GBC games, such as Wario Land 2, Pokemon TCG, and the Game and Watch Galleries, the Super Game Boy border is somewhat dynamic, changing in the first case based on which level is being played and in the second on which badges the player has collected. Since I don't know of any emulator that's even tried to implement this as a feature (except for possibly bgb? and even then they admit it's pretty buggy if it's what I'm thinking of) it does seem like something that would probably be completely unfeasible. I can't say I'll be particularly miffed if this can't be done, since having even the static initial SGB border is more than I expected, and outside of the game and watch classic mode borders they're usually not much to write home about.

Other feature I'm curious about is probably a bit out-of-scope but is something that has been done in at least some emulators before, though not ones focused only on GB stuff -- implementing SGB enhanced sound for games that support it, like Donkey Kong or Animaniacs. I have no idea if there's a quick-and-dirty hack that would make this possible without having to build an entire SNES emulator though, since I know embarrassingly little about how the SGB actually sends that enhanced sound data to the SNES. (Hell, I'd probably buy the argument that there just isn't space in RAM for the samples in question.) The lack of it is more frustrating to me than the previous issue though, just because otherwise, say, Animaniacs is a choice between color OR sound, and damn if I don't love the little "help help" sound in Donkey Kong.

Even then I still see these as "might be nice to have" more than "necessary to keep games from being broken" sorts of features.

I would say, that the dynamic SGB border feature is unfeasible when you're running in GBC mode. Some emulators have a weird hack where it runs in a GBC/SGB hybrid mode, but it usually doesn't work properly... but the dynamic borders should work if you force it to run in SGB mode.

As for SGB sound, as I understand it I'd pretty much have to make an emulator for a SNES sound chip. There's a reason most emulators don't support this, it's a huge pain.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wouldn't using a 3in1 expansion cart help with the sound part? loading the SNES sound chip emulation into the ram and keep it running from the ram I know that Snemul does this for additional graphic support

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wouldn't using a 3in1 expansion cart help with the sound part? loading the SNES sound chip emulation into the ram and keep it running from the ram I know that Snemul does this for additional graphic support

Well, maybe it would help. The question is, who's going to code it? Not me :P

Besides, processing power would also be a significant issue, if it would have to emulate a whole nother core.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, maybe it would help. The question is, who's going to code it? Not me :P

Besides, processing power would also be a significant issue, if it would have to emulate a whole nother core.
Hey Drenn, nice to see you around... did you ever figure out why the 3DS sleep mode screws the emulator over? It's pretty weird when I decide to take my 3DS on the go instead of my DS... it's not awful or anything, just distracting.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey Drenn, nice to see you around... did you ever figure out why the 3DS sleep mode screws the emulator over? It's pretty weird when I decide to take my 3DS on the go instead of my DS... it's not awful or anything, just distracting.

No idea, it's really weird...

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Drenn - if you are looking for something to do, now that gameYob is basically done - I have just the thing.
The excellent sega emulator s8ds could need some scaling for the game gear (and possibly some nice borders).
The source can be picked up at:
http://www.ndsretro.com/download/S8DS01Src.zip

One has to recreate the changes/updates made by fluBBa - but that shouldn't be very hard when you are skilled as Drenn.

/dACE

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Drenn - if you are looking for something to do, now that gameYob is basically done - I have just the thing.
The excellent sega emulator s8ds could need some scaling for the game gear (and possibly some nice borders).
The source can be picked up at:
http://www.ndsretro.com/download/S8DS01Src.zip

One has to recreate the changes/updates made by fluBBa - but that shouldn't be very hard when you are skilled as Drenn.

/dACE

It's not that I'm looking for something else to do. If anything I'd keep working on gameyob, I just haven't made the time to do so. But that's an idea I'll keep in the back of my head.

Lavos2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my only question Drenn, is the Latest Build the one similar to the Test Build you linked? ill try the test build shortly but if the Latest is just the stuff that was Fixed in the Test one ill use that

i was having the same issues as the other with some games deleting the save data too...i installed the test build you linked some pages ago but im not sure which main version its a base of....id prefer the Cheat support if possible for stuff like Pokemon Yellow since theres some you simply catch find in that game...and i dont have the ability to trade so cant get them otherwise

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my only question Drenn, is the Latest Build the one similar to the Test Build you linked? ill try the test build shortly but if the Latest is just the stuff that was Fixed in the Test one ill use that

i was having the same issues as the other with some games deleting the save data too...i installed the test build you linked some pages ago but im not sure which main version its a base of....id prefer the Cheat support if possible for stuff like Pokemon Yellow since theres some you simply catch find in that game...and i dont have the ability to trade so cant get them otherwise
Get pokemon thunder yellow.

Lavos2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drakorex im playing for sake of Nostalgia...so that wasnt a helpful post

and in other news

yes the game seems to save and load properly on the Test build you uploaded Drenn

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drakorex im playing for sake of Nostalgia...so that wasnt a helpful post

and in other news

yes the game seems to save and load properly on the Test build you uploaded Drenn
Thunder yellow is the same as yellow, just with all the pokemon. Unless part of your ''nostalgia'' trip is having to trade between games which as you realize, cannot be done... You were wanting to cheat anyway, so there ya go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o