GameStop refuses to sell Consoles bundled with Digital Games

en-INTL-L-XboxOne-Raptor-Console-KF6-00053-mnco.jpg

Gamestop released a rather interesting tidbit about their policy in carrying consoles with a digital title. In fact, they flat out said they refuse to carry them anymore. Here's the breakdown:

During a recent earnings report conference call, GameStop executives outlined their decision to move away from "digital" bundles and highlighted their recent effort to provide "physical" bundles instead. This new strategy went into effect just last month, with the release of Madden NFL 16. While other stores sold Xbox One and Playstation 4 bundles featuring digital copies of the football game, GameStop "worked with Sony, Microsoft, and EA" to reach an arrangement for the retailer to provide a physical copy with any new console purchased. This isn't just a little experiment either. GameStop COO Tony Bartel explained that if Sony and Microsoft continue to release digital bundles, GameStop will turn to "third party" physical-bundles. This could mean that they'll work out a deal with a major publisher like EA or Ubisoft to include a free physical copy of a recent release.

The obvious stance here is, Gamestop's only continued profitability and business model relies on used game sales. Controversy has always stemmed from the pay out of a used game that will eventually be resold to another consumer for a $50 price tag, but in the end it is what drives Gamestop's overall cash flow.

It is rather interesting to see the trend of Digital games continue to rise against the physical copies of games. Early NX rumors have begun circulating that the new Nintendo console may be intending to go full digital for the future, and i'm sure most 1st and 3rd parties would love to cash in on the market of digital sales.

As a purveyor of digital games, I find the stance understandable but a little silly. How do you feel about this move? And what is your stance on the timeless Physical vs Digital argument?

aaronz77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Destiny is a perfect example of how digital sucks, especially when you're an occasional gamer who has only a few minutes to play. Why can't the console keep your games updated and ready to play? Like um.. Steam??!

Reactions: Zense

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wish they did that over here in Europe, digital games may cut costs a bit but it annoys me so much as collector -_-" I seriously prefer physical copies over digital but I guess thats a problem of mine. =3=

Digital copy isn't cheaper. It could be cheaper if the physical copy sale is way higher than the digital copy. If digital copy becomes the standard, then the digital copy pricing will be same as the physical copy was.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Pretty obvious including digital copies with a console is a manufacturing cost reduction detrimental to the average user. Why should I have to wait for a game to download immediately after buying a console? Large mandatory installs are disappointing enough, being historically limited to PC games.

Reactions: Vanth88

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they refuse to sell it because customers want to resell the bundled games, not because they can't make money off of digital games multiple times.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There's a reason NES, SNES, Genesis, etc games are still celebrated: they can be found in person and lots of people have played them second hand. They've been passed down through families, to friends, sold and resold again. They've stayed relevant in the gaming community. Digital games and DLC will be a blip on the radar compared to physical games that can still be experienced 30 years from now. I say this as someone who's been gaming since 1987. I've researched where the industry used to be, experienced a great portion of what it's been through, see digital-only games cheapening gaming's cultural impact and value to society. Where will today's games be 30 years from now? Rotting on old hardware, assuming the mass-produced, poorly made parts even hold up that long. Gaming is being treated as if it is disposable, instead of an art form and a piece of culture.

I think you are romanticizing a piece of plastic, and your only experience seems to stem from consoles and that has left you severely biased. I have been gaming since 1987 too, but the platforms I started on were the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum and Atari 800XL and the Amiga, and my games ran off audio cassettes, and later on they ran off floppy disks, and later still they ran off the hard drive and the medium was never a part of the game, and later systems were backwards compatible so the platform wasn't part of the game either, and I say you are looking at the past from your perspective only and making connections where there are none. The best games have been ported and emulated and are still being played today even though the hardware is no longer around. Games that have had equally as large an impact as (S)NES games, that are played today even though not a single original medium or original box they ran on remains.

The reason games you speak of stayed relevant is because they were good games to begin with, not because the original hardware still works, and most of the people nowadays who play the old games play them on emulators and other machines. Everyone has played Pac-man or Tetris, not because they're bought/borrowed/inherited the original arcade machine, and not because the original hardware is still available, because "it can be found", but because it has been ported everywhere, and because it's fun. Games are not limited to their original hardware or the medium where they were once stored, and if people play them 20 years later it is because of the game, not because they happen to have the tangle of tubes and wiring it used to run on, or the plastic they were distributed on. If a game is bad, the mere fact you can pass it on won't save it from oblivion.

Online-only games get custom and pirate servers while the game is still officially supported, and there are ways of running them long afterwards, until a point in time where it gets a port, re-release or what have you and become supported again one way or the other. If a game fizzles out once support is gone, it wasn't that good of a game in the first place. If a game is good it will be played long after its original era/generation/platform has kicked the bucket (and long after the "mass-produced, poorly made parts" - actually faster, more powerful and more efficient parts that inevitably come with the trade-off of being more sensitive; long after said parts rot away), and 30 years from now games that deserve to be played will still be played, just like old games are (or aren't) played today. True, consoles are harder to crack, have patchy and inconsistent backward compatibility, and it takes longer for them to become emulated well enough to run games, and this is why to someone who plays only consoles it may seem that the only way to be able to play a game is to still own functioning original hardware, readable original storage media and working original online support, but for a large number of games, and a large number of gamers this is not true and never was.

A game's quality and draw has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone bothered to stamp out a few disks for someone who wants to caress and/or resell it. How does the fact a game is or isn't "digital-only" affect the gameplay, the design, the story, graphics, interactions, genre, any single part of the game? You don't use the data storage in any way when you play the game, it is no part of the experience. A game's quality has nothing to do with how it got onto your screen.

You may believe games are dropping in quality in recent years, they aren't as good or as fun or as impactful as the games of yesteryear, but even if this weren't just a case of nostalgia goggles, there are other, way more relevant reasons for it than digital distribution.

D

Deleted User

I think you are romanticizing a piece of plastic, and your only experience seems to stem from consoles and that has left you severely biased. I have been gaming since 1987 too, but the platforms I started on were the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum and Atari 800XL and the Amiga, and my games ran off audio cassettes, and later on they ran off floppy disks, and later still they ran off the hard drive and the medium was never a part of the game, and later systems were backwards compatible so the platform wasn't part of the game either, and I say you are looking at the past from your perspective only and making connections where there are none. The best games have been ported and emulated and are still being played today even though the hardware is no longer around. Games that have had equally as large an impact as (S)NES games, that are played today even though not a single original medium or original box they ran on remains.

The reason games you speak of stayed relevant is because they were good games to begin with, not because the original hardware still works, and most of the people nowadays who play the old games play them on emulators and other machines. Everyone has played Pac-man or Tetris, not because they're bought/borrowed/inherited the original arcade machine, and not because the original hardware is still available, because "it can be found", but because it has been ported everywhere, and because it's fun. Games are not limited to their original hardware or the medium where they were once stored, and if people play them 20 years later it is because of the game, not because they happen to have the tangle of tubes and wiring it used to run on, or the plastic they were distributed on. If a game is bad, the mere fact you can pass it on won't save it from oblivion.

Online-only games get custom and pirate servers while the game is still officially supported, and there are ways of running them long afterwards, until a point in time where it gets a port, re-release or what have you and become supported again one way or the other. If a game fizzles out once support is gone, it wasn't that good of a game in the first place. If a game is good it will be played long after its original era/generation/platform has kicked the bucket (and long after the "mass-produced, poorly made parts" - actually faster, more powerful and more efficient parts that inevitably come with the trade-off of being more sensitive; long after said parts rot away), and 30 years from now games that deserve to be played will still be played, just like old games are (or aren't) played today. True, consoles are harder to crack, have patchy and inconsistent backward compatibility, and it takes longer for them to become emulated well enough to run games, and this is why to someone who plays only consoles it may seem that the only way to be able to play a game is to still own functioning original hardware, readable original storage media and working original online support, but for a large number of games, and a large number of gamers this is not true and never was.

A game's quality and draw has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone bothered to stamp out a few disks for someone who wants to caress and/or resell it. How does the fact a game is or isn't "digital-only" affect the gameplay, the design, the story, graphics, interactions, genre, any single part of the game? You don't use the data storage in any way when you play the game, it is no part of the experience. A game's quality has nothing to do with how it got onto your screen.

You may believe games are dropping in quality in recent years, they aren't as good or as fun or as impactful as the games of yesteryear, but even if this weren't just a case of nostalgia goggles, there are other, way more relevant reasons for it than digital distribution.
I prefer disc PC games.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love physical copies as much as all of you, but lets face it - it's not what it used to be. Games anymore are coming pre-packed as installer or license files that allow digital content to be downloaded. This is backed by cheaper operation costs and overhead by the gaming companies allowing them to put capitol elsewhere in their companies. It won't be too long until as the OP said, consoles go full digital.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will always take physical discs over digital. When Microsoft decides to ban my account and console, essentially killing all of my digital content, the physical discs will still be there and available to me.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will always prefer digital over physical. My main reason is its a nice way to keep all your games organized in one spot and do not need to switch discs to play another game. Its very convenient. Overtime physical games were have wear and tear and eventually stop working where as digital will work just fine (as long as your hard drive holds out). The ability to store multiple games in one location was my original reason for getting a ds flash cart and this was before everyone started doing digital downloads for console/portable systems. There also some other advantages like on ps3 when you buy a digital game you essentially get two copies of it, which is nice for multiplayer online games (granted they sort of did away with this on ps4)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As someone who like the have a physical collection I'm rather glad they did this. Its always bugged me when theres an exclusive version of a console based on a game I like, but the game is installed digitally, forcing me to choose the look of the console or the game on my shelf.
I agree with this and many other posts in the thread. It's nice to see someone making a stand against everything going full digital when everyone else seems to be moving in that direction, even if they are only doing it for their own gains by making sure used game sales still continue it benefits everyone who prefers physical copies as well.
I wonder what this will mean for Nintendo's limited edition bundles though. Every single one is digital nowadays, and if they were to do a physical one for just GameStop they would have to work that out with Nintendo themselves since most of the bundles are Nintendo's own games.

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always prefer to have physical copies of games rather than having a digital copy. I like keeping them all. Digital is cool, but these days you can fill up your internal HD quickly with the size the game is, that isn't including the massive updates every game seems to have, or the DLC for the games. I was a bit disappointed when I got the Xbox One Master Chief Collection Edition and it was a digital copy of the game.

D

Deleted User

I always prefer to have physical copies of games rather than having a digital copy. I like keeping them all. Digital is cool, but these days you can fill up your internal HD quickly with the size the game is, that isn't including the massive updates every game seems to have, or the DLC for the games. I was a bit disappointed when I got the Xbox One Master Chief Collection Edition and it was a digital copy of the game.
IKR? The Courier came with my XB1 in the morning and I didn't get to play the multiplayer portion till the next day.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what this will mean for Nintendo's limited edition bundles though. Every single one is digital nowadays, and if they were to do a physical one for just GameStop they would have to work that out with Nintendo themselves since most of the bundles are Nintendo's own games.

It's hard to say. Honestly, I think Nintendo would stand by this at least for the NA audience for the N3DS at least. We always get shafted it seems with the bundle editions that other locations get, and I believe it's due to the issues with Legit CIA. They may potentially like this idea, but there definitely is extra overhead in cart production, box engineering, etc. that they may not be thrilled in taking on.

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It always continues to surprise me on the stance that people take on physical games versus digital games.

Just to play devils advocate and throw a scenario at you, do you just as many of you that preferred the physical copy of games also prefer the physicality of movies and music? Do you still continue to purchase CDs to this day and do you still continue to purchase Blu-rays and DVDs? Does the physicality of that media matter to you as much as the physicality of the gaming media?

It is not that I don't understand the mentality of having a physical library. I also like to look at my little collection of games that I have assembled over the years but even I can understand that eventually much like music, that medium will most likely go away in the coming years.

Granted I know that the physical media of movies still exists so I know that it won't die out completely. But I do believe there is an inevitability that gaming will soon continue to move towards a more digital space and the physical copy will eventually either cease to exist or be the afterthought.

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say I love my physical copies of games. As long as I have a console that works, I can still play the game. This is not so for digital games though. When the company shuts the servers down (for whatever reason), you can no longer play your game. If they would take a stance to give a lifetime license in this instance, it would not be so bad. What really turned me off on large digital stuff (eshop games and minis don't really matter) is a few years ago, I wanted to play a game on my PS3. I had not loaded the game is well over a year since actually finding time to play something this time consuming was impossible at the time. I had recently moved to a place that had absolutely NO INTERNET or cell signal for that matter (or I could have just tethered my phone long enough to get a hit back), and the game would not load. It informed me that my license was not up to date and I could not play a game I had purchased. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I haven't purchased anymore digital PS3 games since.

But here is the other side. Digital is "supposed" to be faster. I honestly think it is up for debate on speeds. There really shouldn't be much loading times in games like that. If say a company wanted to do an install disc with physical media. That would be cool. You have a disc to play later and the check could be the old "insert disc even though we aren't really using it" deal. Regardless, it is all about the money side of things.

On the story topic. I don't care for Gamestop because of their employees and never buy anything from them in stores. I do use the online store since I like my purchases to come in a sealed package in hopes of getting everything (i.e. those Club Nintendo cards when they were in use or an instruction manual). Another thing is how they were price gouging during the Xenoblade release. Our local store on release day was selling "used" copies for $90 a pop. Used games just suck n my opinion and I have terrible luck due to is maybe taking 6 months to a year to get a chance to play it and no longer being able to return a damaged game. At least they are taking a stance in saying that if "Joe buys this console with a game bundled with it, then Joe should be able to trade the console back in with said game for a little extra value."

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It always continues to surprise me on the stance that people take on physical games versus digital games.

Just to play devils advocate and throw a scenario at you, do you just as many of you that preferred the physical copy of games also prefer the physicality of movies and music? Do you still continue to purchase CDs to this day and do you still continue to purchase Blu-rays and DVDs? Does the physicality of that media matter to you as much as the physicality of the gaming media?

Ignoring channel usenet then yeah kind of. If the day comes that my downloadable games are as lendable, resellable, tradeable and otherwise as functional for that sort of thing as the physical goods are then I will switch, I do not even mind having to sort my own backups/storage. Music kind of already went there and videos are contemplating it, some games are heading there and I have purchased several of those.

Hyperstar96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital distribution kills First Sale Doctrine, and forces gamers to get games from a single "official" source. It kills the timelessness of a game; games on today's systems (and their DLC) will disappear when the servers go down and/or the companies go bankrupt.
If you're referring to Steam, Valve has made it clear that they'll remove the DRM from all Steam games if Steam ever shuts down.
But that's one of the perks of piracy: even thought it's often used for getting current games illegally, it's also the main method of playing older games, even download-only. How would people have been able to experience Earthbound Zero before a few months ago without the ROM being distributed and the anti-piracy edited out? How many people who play non-VC Game Boy games today are playing them through their actual cartridges? It's still technically illegal, but it's also a necessary evil that preserves these timeless games.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Digital distribution kills First Sale Doctrine, and forces gamers to get games from a single "official" source. It kills the timelessness of a game; games on today's systems (and their DLC) will disappear when the servers go down and/or the companies go bankrupt.

There's a reason NES, SNES, Genesis, etc games are still celebrated: they can be found in person and lots of people have played them second hand. They've been passed down through families, to friends, sold and resold again. They've stayed relevant in the gaming community. Digital games and DLC will be a blip on the radar compared to physical games that can still be experienced 30 years from now. I say this as someone who's been gaming since 1987. I've researched where the industry used to be, experienced a great portion of what it's been through, see digital-only games cheapening gaming's cultural impact and value to society. Where will today's games be 30 years from now? Rotting on old hardware, assuming the mass-produced, poorly made parts even hold up that long. Gaming is being treated as if it is disposable, instead of an art form and a piece of culture.
Well, under EU law, resale of digital copies of games is completely legal and the publisher/distributor cannot deny that right no matter what the EULA might say, so the First Sale Doctrine actually still applies in this case. However, Valve has yet to comply with this law.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've bought only a few physical games here and there during the last few years. As someone who has a couple of boxes full of old games from NES to present generation, I haven't touched any of the physical games pre-PS360 generation. Why? They're all in digital format. A few Everdrives and a soft mod here and there have made the cherished physical carts obsolete. Think what you may of backup loaders and flashcarts, but they are the reason why I don't need to have a whole bookshelf for plastic that will both wear the console and readers. Nevertheless, I still buy a few games here and there in physical format if it can't be had otherwise (which could be an issue for pre-PS360 generation, but we know how well everything is available).

As for Gamestop, this is a purely financial decision. Don't think the consumer is the winner here as Gamestop makes the best profit out of used games :)

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bought only a few physical games here and there during the last few years. As someone who has a couple of boxes full of old games from NES to present generation, I haven't touched any of the physical games pre-PS360 generation. Why? They're all in digital format. A few Everdrives and a soft mod here and there have made the cherished physical carts obsolete. Think what you may of backup loaders and flashcarts, but they are the reason why I don't need to have a whole bookshelf for plastic that will both wear the console and readers. Nevertheless, I still buy a few games here and there in physical format if it can't be had otherwise (which could be an issue for pre-PS360 generation, but we know how well everything is available).

As for Gamestop, this is a purely financial decision. Don't think the consumer is the winner here as Gamestop makes the best profit out of used games :)
As a consumer I enjoy being able to buy used games.

Reactions: sporkonomix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning