Digital downloads vs. physical copies of games - which do you prefer?

digitalphysical.jpg

Buying a game is easy and it's getting easier - but the age old question remains - digital or physical?

When it comes to purchasing a game, given the choice, should you opt to buy a physical copy of a game or purchase it digitally for an instant download? What are the pros and cons of each? Does it make a difference?

While digital games are no doubt the more convenient option, that "purchase" comes with an enormous amount of fragility attached to it. What if the publisher revokes the game from the storefront? What if the game is has DRM that can affect performance? Is the purchase even a true purchase or is it a lease of a service? Let's not forget that all too often we're seeing games removed from digital store fronts due to licensing arrangements. We've even seen games being changed at a moments notice with soundtracks being edited, or replaced entirely, as rights expire. And what of service games - they can be shutdown remotely if the game underperforms rendering the game unplayable.

Then you have physical media. While unlike days past, even physical media can carry some questions when its merits. Day one patches that prevent you from playing the game without updating the title; disc-based consoles cost more; mandatory internet connections or account registration can be a thing; and what of the environmental impact? And let's not forget that inevitable disc rot!

Publishers are even thinking up ways to make physical ownership less attractive - you only need to look at the plans by Microsoft during the initial Xbox One reveal where physical disks, once used on a console were then digitally tied to that system and unable to be traded or resold without going through hoops and paying a premium to do so.

At the end of the day - does it even matter? Should video game ownership and preservation be a concern for the average player or should the purchase be seen as the equivalent of a theme park ticket - a temporary thrill with no regard for the future?

And what of piracy? Is there a merit and legitimacy to breaking DRM and illegally copying games when it comes to video game preservation?

Let us know your thoughts below.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like my physical copies if I'm going console, because you know that eventually the online storefront is gonna close. Plus, there's just something about having the physical product that's so satisfying. Different story for PC, of course-- all digital on Steam.

That said, I only ever buy games for my Switch and PC anymore. I don't plan on buying another Playstations or XBox ever again, since most of their stuff ends up on PC at some point anyway. Plus, I don't care for PS-exclusives anymore.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since EA pulled licenses without notice i'm back to physicle disc.
Digital download is scamming, they say it's the same as buying a game, asking full price for it, but in reality you rent the software.
that said, i'm not totally out.
  • Steam: is treating me still fair... all my bought games still work here (and that's a lot of games).
  • GOG: though i don't like the path that they come back on the never DRM rule... it's still a good deal.
  • Battle.net: tiny letters in the EULA, i don't know if that's how you say it in english. I don't like it.
  • Epic: thanks bros! i never bought a game, but those free games... i'm not planning on buying ever there.

Estella_McLaren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Physical cartridges are good because they can be sold second hand.
However, I think that it has advantages and disadvantages because it is troublesome to replace.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer physical, especially after the PS4 battery problem. Digital games rely on servers to supply them, and can only be used within the respective console, while physical games allow you to use them as you please. Also, Physical games can be traded for other ones between you and a friend, or GameStop, while you will be stuck with digital ones forever, the only way to rid them of yourself is to try and get a refund, which doesn't always work. I have also found that Physical games can be cheaper to buy, like Dark Souls Remastered for example, the one on the PS Store is $39.99, while the physical version can be found brand-new at your local Walmart for $10-$15.

Reactions: DragonBoy

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Buying a game is easy and it's getting easier - but the age old question remains - digital or physical?

When it comes to purchasing a game, given the choice, should you opt to buy a physical copy of a game or purchase it digitally for an instant download? What are the pros and cons of each? Does it make a difference?

While digital games are no doubt the more convenient option, that "purchase" comes with an enormous amount of fragility attached to it. What if the publisher revokes the game from the storefront? What if the game is has DRM that can affect performance? Is the purchase even a true purchase or is it a lease of a service? Let's not forget that all too often we're seeing games removed from digital store fronts due to licensing arrangements. We've even seen games being changed at a moments notice with soundtracks being edited, or replaced entirely, as rights expire. And what of service games - they can be shutdown remotely if the game underperforms rendering the game unplayable.

Then you have physical media. While unlike days past, even physical media can carry some questions when its merits. Day one patches that prevent you from playing the game without updating the title; disc-based consoles cost more; mandatory internet connections or account registration can be a thing; and what of the environmental impact? And let's not forget that inevitable disc rot!

Publishers are even thinking up ways to make physical ownership less attractive - you only need to look at the plans by Microsoft during the initial Xbox One reveal where physical disks, once used on a console were then digitally tied to that system and unable to be traded or resold without going through hoops and paying a premium to do so.

At the end of the day - does it even matter? Should video game ownership and preservation be a concern for the average player or should the purchase be seen as the equivalent of a theme park ticket - a temporary thrill with no regard for the future?

And what of piracy? Is there a merit and legitimacy to breaking DRM and illegally copying games when it comes to video game preservation?

Let us know your thoughts below.
I think I will always prefer having physical copies of my games. There is just something special about it that I cant let go.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I buy digitally on anything that I know can be hacked or have the DRM broken. And I go physical for anything I'd like to see on my shelf.
Where I live all game licenses are perpetual and entitle me to play the game where I want and how I want, and cracks or soft mods aren't illegal, thus I have my ways to ensure I will be able to play my games and no publisher or developer can change that.

Anything that requires a permanent internet connection to work will not be bought at all, unless it's an MMO or otherwise has an actually valid reason to be online. I can't exactly expect an MMO handling thousands of concurrent people at once to continue working after the servers are shut down. Those I treat like theme parks, the fee is for entry only as long as the theme park is open.

Edit: I also own rom dumpers, so anything I buy physically will be backed up digitally and then played through a flash cart or installed onto the system itself if possible, my NAS is big and theoretically expandable forever.

Last edited by RAHelllord,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Digital for me!

Why after a long shift at work do I want to get up off my arse again to change discs etc? Ease of access.

Also, selling the games? If I'm gonna buy a game I'm making damn sure it's gonna be good enough so I don't WANT to sell it afterwards.

Also, rows and rows of games on show, that's just soo 90s, yet people still do it! And eg with books despite there being kindle these days! Is it really all that, or is it just a bit of 'hey everyone, come look at my collection and see how cool I am' - you might as well start nailing the old food boxes you've had to the wall too - 'yeah I ate that Aldi Spag Bol back in '96, mint condition too'

..My own opinion of course!

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
companies like limited run games are why i'm not fond of physical anymore. they purposely only make like 5 copies, refuse to make any more and then if i end up wanting a physical copy of a game it goes for like 8 million dollars on ebay jut because it's limited run

Reactions: t1000 and Teletron1

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For PC (My main platform) I get digital since it's basically the only choice at this point. Any console, I avoid digital like the plague. Much prefer having a physical copy that I can re-sell once I'm finished with it or simply if I didn't enjoy the game. If you buy digital, you're stuck with it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer physical, especially after the PS4 battery problem. Digital games rely on servers to supply them, and can only be used within the respective console, while physical games allow you to use them as you please. Also, Physical games can be traded for other ones between you and a friend, or GameStop, while you will be stuck with digital ones forever, the only way to rid them of yourself is to try and get a refund, which doesn't always work. I have also found that Physical games can be cheaper to buy, like Dark Souls Remastered for example, the one on the PS Store is $39.99, while the physical version can be found brand-new at your local Walmart for $10-$15.
Digital copies work as licenses with the respective account bought, so that's "fine," but if you'd like to use it on multiple PS4s (since you bought it) then that's where the problem rises.

I wonder what will happen to those who have vast 3DS/WiiU digital libraries and then it gets shut down. Make a couple of backups? 😬

Just.. hack it. It's not worth the hassle.

Reactions: Plazorn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol