Games You SHOULDN'T Buy #3 - Pokémon X and Y

Enchilada

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
For a Pokemon fan, every game is worth buying. (I'm not talking about the spin-offs too)
I love Pokemon X, it improves the series in many ways. The only things that I didn't like were the low difficulty and the lack of post-game content.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may just put my $1.50 USD in...

In my case, I have to say that the Pokémon series, especially its core games, seems to just actively hate my guts. I know some people will probably harp and say "genwunner" or something stupid like that, but I at least gave one (or two) games of each generation. But that said, each since had given me reason to be anywhere from annoyed to absolutely bombshell-laying enraged. To put it bluntly, for the longest time, it was only Gen 1 that I had managed to actually be able to have just a team of six, I could get within the game, and stick with it all the way through to beat the main game, and not constantly struggling for funds, or being at the wrong level, or something daft like that. I wish I could say I was joking, but annoyingly, especially with the insane processing/input lag as of Gen IV, I had been quite ready to quit the series altogether, if not for peer pressure, and even to the point that some friends would even actively buy me a copy of one of the games to have me continue with them, only for them to leave me in the dust for me to eternally struggling. Between encounters explicitly coded to not be obtainable by any legal way, Mystery Gifts coded to not be transferable in any way, GTS trades that are impossible, I was honestly quite fed up with Nintendo and Game Freak's antics. I didn't even want to give Gen 6 a chance because after very harrowingly and very narrowly completing the dex on my ROM copy of Black 2, and having no way to actually migrate my work over to the new games, I was pretty fed up.

It was only because I had the gateway that I even bothered to try to play the game in the first place, and be forced to download the 1.2 patch.

So, the good I can say from my experience?
  • This was the first game since Generation I where I was able to get a team of six and stick with it. Sadly, it had to be with a couple of trades in and out with my fiancee's real copy of Y, but unlike almost all the generations before, I could at least have a team of six I liked enough to go through all the way with.
  • For the first time since the DS generation of games, I could actually beat Gym 1 on the first try.
  • for the first time since gen 1, I didn't have to worry about what level my team was to get through the main part of the game
  • Pokemon Amie, as an added game mode, is a double-edged sword - it's wonderful playing with and caring for my team, but it does honestly create just another form of busywork if we're honest.
  • Oh my god, Game Freak actually did some goddamn modeling work! This is honestly the first time they've updated the 3D models of the Pokemon since the N64 era.
  • And for the first time since Gen IV, the input lag has FINALLY been addressed.
Then the bad stuff.
  • All the talk about how this generation made it easier to get shinies, and yet I've yet to even see one...
  • ... except AZ's shiny floette. An 8000:1 chance and that asshole gets the shiny!
  • Gen V's plot was absolutely worthless, and X/Y's plot was absolutely... wasted.
  • *expletive* FASHION NAZIS!
  • I was forced to look like a hipster douche in order to earn enough style for the bonding/O-Powers.
  • Why do I have to do hotel work for style? that makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Seriously, I'm being blocked from restaurants and places to go because I'm not stylish enough? That's just horrible.
As for what I would want in a game?
  • Why can't I have one of them follow me around on the field?
  • maybe some visual cues to the Pokemon's nature on its stance, or how close they are to defeat?
  • Or now how Pokemon with high affection can shrug off status ailments or endure a sure-KO hit... why not some animation to show them toughing it out?

And at the end of the main game, there's really... nothing for the post game. Yes, I caught Mewtwo, happily, and yes I got xerneas and zygarde, but there really isn't anything there. And without some proper cheats, I just don't have the motivation to slog through all that again. About the only thing I'd want is maybe a donor cart so I could go online with the gateway, but... I'm just not motivated to do so, either. Pokemon games, especially the core games, are notoriously expensive to purchase, and while some do get a lot of time to sink into it, I just can't work out why. If not for the critters, I honestly think I would have wrote it off a long time ago.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didnt read the first post yet but out of ALL the games that is out there, GBATemp "Games you shoudnt buy" #3 is Pokemon X/Y?
Will have a read and get back to it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it doesn't. it shows what little percentage of the 3DS's power Game Freak can actually use.
Game Freak can't convince me this game couldn't have run 60 fps in 3D with better optimization when there's games like Resident Evil Revelations out there with console level graphics and real-time gameplay that only have some framerate lag while loading.
Overall I loved X and Y while playing through them, but looking back at them they're two of the weakest Pokémon titles in terms of just about everything that isn't ambience.

Call me an optimist or whatever, but they created an entirely new engine. I have a feeling it'll get better with time. Game Freak never ventured this far into the 3D realm, while RE:R used their proprietary MT Engine which is used for all their games. Comparing the two is like comparing a long-time carpenter to an apprentice. GF's expertise is in 2D and pseudo 3D. So yes, it'll get better in later revisions. The MT Framework is in its 7th generation. You're a developer, right? Given how commercial games are expected to adhere to a time table, don't you think they did an amazing job their first time transition?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT_Framework

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually never played through pokemon black and white. Pokemon Diamond was the last one I played before Pokemon X and Y soo when I started my adventure I had more than 70 new pokemon to learn I don't know for sure but I would say at least 200 new ones for me. I actually really enjoyed pokemon X and Y.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How did Yellow expand upon Red and Blue, post-game-wise? The only differences I noticed were the tweaks meant to make homage to the TV show (replacing generic Rockets with Jessie and James, changing certain gym leaders' Pokemon team, etc). I don't remember there being any difference in the post-game.

All the anime differences did change the flow of the game along with a few minigames.
Nope no change to post game, because Gen 1 had absolutely no post game at all.
But of course nobody hates/remembers that, but its a crime to have lack of post game content the newer installments :rolleyes:

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the anime differences did change the flow of the game along with a few minigames.
Nope no change to post game, because Gen 1 had absolutely no post game at all.
But of course nobody hates/remembers that, but its a crime to have lack of post game content the newer installments :rolleyes:

The standard changes. Honestly, everyone plays their pokemon games differently. I never do battle tower style battles and focus on breeding my favorites and battling friends. I don't remember the last time I played the post game for anything but breeding items. Heck, most post game content is designed to allow players to get more old pokemon.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably one of those people who hates any review site that gives your favorite games low scores, too.

No, I prefer objectivity in my reviews, both given and read. He has valid points, but this is not a review column, and shouldn't be treated as such. X and Y are not bad games, and should not be treated as such. Any more assumptive questions I can answer passive aggressively? It's a talent I really need to work on.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Ryu, you must've rustled the chicken coup something fierce, because this thread is a fluster cluck.

LOL, no. I'm sorry, but that's not how this thing was advertised. You can look at a game a see where it was badly made, where corners were cut and where promises were broken. That's the criteria that determines a game that's a waste of money.

Or, you know, "I didn't like it," "I don't think it was fun," etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with Ryu's judgement here, but being so stupidly anal is doing nothing to help you. It's Pokemon, dude. Don't be so assblasted. Let it go.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
being so stupidly anal

I don't actually think he's being anal, I speak from experience
I think he's laying out his view fine.

Despite being a huge part in the development of this stereotype, not every thread where someone calls pokemon bad has to end in someone being trolled to emotional instability.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't actually think he's being anal, I speak from experience
I think he's laying out his view fine.

Just because he's not anally annihilated doesn't mean he isn't fecal fuming.

How is calling the thread's title "false advertising" not being anal? It'd be like calling Yahtzee a fraud because Zero Punctuation has punctuation. The paragraph long ranting responses certainly doesn't do any favors either.

If you have to cite the Angry Video Game Nerd as an example of your idea of "objective" reviewing, you have gone very, very wrong.

EDIT: If you want a good example of laying out a view, just look at McHaggis' post below.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you raise some very valid points, Ryukouki. Most of your issues are the same ones I had with the game (particularly the bit about voice acting, since, you know, most of the 'Mon already have pre-recorded voices from the anime). Still, I found the game somewhat enjoyable anyway and put some serious hours into it. I think it's a stretch to say you shouldn't buy it (technically I didn't buy it, but I probably would have).

I tend to find that the higher profile a game is, the easier it is to dislike it. Whether the game was over-hyped or your one of those people who likes to go against the grain, if everything's not perfect with it you end up feeling disappointed. You could probably pick faults equal to or greater than those with almost any game, even ones you might consider great games yourself. You said yourself that Pokemon X and Y did some things right and even brought the series forward in many respects (3D, orchestral music, global trading, battling, etc). Couple the things that it got right with the classic Pokemon formula and I don't think you have a game that you shouldn't buy, just a game that you should at least give some thought to before making up your mind. But that's not as snappy a thread title as the one you have :ha: .

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How is calling the thread's title "false advertising" not being anal?

Because it's one of those titles that addresses an opinion in a way that could be interpreted as a fact, calling any piece of media "something you shouldn't buy" could be considered false advertising to those who believe otherwise.

The paragraph long ranting responses certainly doesn't do any favors either.

Well if you ignite passions with a flamebait thread like this, you're obviously gonna attract people with a lot to say.
Besides, everything FAST posts is tldr and he seems like he has no emotion at all

If you have to cite the Angry Video Game Nerd as an example of your idea of "objective" reviewing, you have gone very, very wrong.

meh, got nothing on this one

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Gold/Silver spoiled us. They brought pretty much the entire region of the previous game (kanto) in as a post-game. From then on out, I think people wanted that kind of post game where you've got an entire continent of post-game to go through, plus Mt. Silver was pretty cool, too. They set the bar pretty high bringing us back to kanto, and I think people would have liked for future games to do something similar and include Johto, Kanto, etc. as another region to explore and see how they've changed.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or, you know, "I didn't like it," "I don't think it was fun," etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with Ryu's judgement here, but being so stupidly anal is doing nothing to help you. It's Pokemon, dude. Don't be so assblasted. Let it go.

Haha, you're telling me to let it go, pssh. Both you and Guild understand how to let things go alright. I bet if I sweeped the golden threads, or the twitter account I'd find several mockeries of myself and others. If that's not hypocritical, I don't know what is. Ryu is fine with my criticisms, but it's everyone else who isn't. This review is an objective 7 or 8, not a TS;DB "Too Shitty; Don't Buy."

The Angry Video Game Nerd does a lot of objective reviews in addition to his lulzy ones. He's a character, and his motto is that "He plays the shitty games so we don't have to." Sounds like this thread's intent.

For the record, my anally mad mode (AMM for you laymen out there) includes cursing and active aggression. I just like replying to people who call me out, and I like to argue. Sue me.

EDIT: See: http://gbatemp.net/threads/games-you-shouldnt-buy-3-pokémon-x-and-y.366867/page-2#post-5012547

Respectful and peaceful. What now?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's one of those titles that addresses an opinion in a way that could be interpreted as a fact, calling any piece of media "something you shouldn't buy" could be considered false advertising to those who believe otherwise.

It's a recommendation, not a commandment, and if you take it as anything more than that you should probably get off the computer and take a walk.

Well if you ignite passions with a flamebait thread like this, you're obviously gonna attract people with a lot to say.

Is an article that states an opinion and offers a recommendation while still highlighting the positives of the game considered "flamebait" now? If so, I think that reflects more poorly for the people reacting than on the writer.

Besides, everything FAST posts is tldr and he seems like he has no emotion at all

Probably because FAST's sesquipedalian style /= ranting.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is an article that states an opinion and offers a recommendation while still highlighting the positives of the game considered "flamebait" now? If so, I think that reflects more poorly for the people reacting than on the writer.

Again, this column isn't a review section. We already have that. >.>

EDIT: The bad has to severely outweigh the good for a game to be considered not worth wasting your money on. Seriously, a few subjective niggles and one or two legitimate points does not make X and Y unbuyable. Which IS the column's intent. Again, this is not and shouldn't be a review column.

Reactions: Nightwish

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a recommendation, not a commandment, and if you take it as anything more than that you should probably get off the computer and take a walk.

If you came up to me in the shop when I buy pepsi and said "hey dude, i think pepsi is terrible" and then 3 other people in the shop started telling me not to buy pepsi, I'm going to respond with why I like pepsi and why I think your opinion is false.
And that's cool, its a healthy discussion provided no one starts being personal.

Meh, I feel like we're digging for drama that isnt present here and I hate to watch 90% of pokemon threads end up that way.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, hot damn, this got kinda crazy in the past few hours. For one, I read every single comment in each of my topics. So I'm not ignoring anything at all. I take all the responses in stride. But guys. It's ironic of me to say this (considering in some way that I indirectly caused it) but calm down just a little bit. :P It's but one opinion and there are still going to be many out there who agree or disagree with me.

Whatever criticisms you guys want to bring to the table, you can go right on ahead and do so. I will make side notes of those criticisms and work with them to help develop other ideas that I have rolling in my head that may not have come to mind in my write ups. Either way, at the end of the day, these articles are a fun little experiment for me to see how far I can go before I have to realize, hey, I might have overstepped myself here. With this piece, I definitely found the line that I could draw. And trust me, everyone, your feedback has been very reliable, and I thank you all for that. In addition, no, this piece was not meant to be a trolly thread to ignite the userbase. I just had a lot of problems that I didn't agree with on my play through of the title, which accounts to one opinion. ;) So please don't take what I have to say as a commandment. All I want to do with these is to get people thinking twice about what looks like it could be a simple issue. Those who understand my style know that I looooooove digging in the grey areas. :)

Sterling: no hard feelings between us. I heard every word you said, and don't worry, I'll keep those thoughts in mind. :) I will admit that I had a ton of fun working on this piece, and honestly in the end I might even have gotten a little bit carried away that I forgot the overall objective. So hey, you win that point there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...