Gaming Games similar to Sleeping Dogs?

steven1977

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loved Sleeping Dogs when I was younger as GTA V just didnt do it for me but wondered if there re similar games to SD on the Xbox One?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I did not mind True Crime (Sleeping Dogs generally being considered a spiritual sequel to that series) that might be a first for someone to prefer it. That said compared to earlier titles the GTA titles did take a bit of a fork in the road with 4 and 5 where everything else took other paths. If you never played the lost and damned or ballad of gay tony expansions for 4 then maybe consider those (they were even released as a standalone double pack), they get a bit silly towards the end of their respective games but before you do it is not bad actually.

Still "GTA clone" is probably what you want to be looking for. They can be quite varied too.
The Saints Row franchise is generally considered the heir to the silly/wacky GTA crown and is quite well liked.
The Just Cause franchise might be pushing it a bit, and is certainly nowhere near as grounded as Sleeping Dogs (watch the opening mission to any game).
Watch_dogs might do something for you.
Lego City Undercover I include because despite being lego it does rather sit happily among the rest of these.
Red Dead Redemption is made by the same people as GTA but if more grounded is what you are after it can get there.
Yakuza has its fans, and while not Hong Kong if you do like the oriental theme then hopefully Japan does it for you. Usually more emphasis on hand to hand.
Dead Rising might count here (it is more about the horde of zombies and you being locked in somewhere), though I am less sold on more recent efforts in the franchise (if 360 backwards compatibility allows for the 360 entries then maybe consider those).
PROTOTYPE (usually contrasted with inFAMOUS though that is a Playstation exclusive) is more super power type things but could be good for a giggle.
Driver San Francisco I believe did make it to the xbone via backwards compatibility more recently. For many it is something of a hidden gem (this despite being a fairly popular game on launch with a series dating back to the PS1).
Do I suggest the Far Cry franchise in this? It could do much the same thing, though maybe not if Sleeping Dogs is your baseline.
Red Faction: Guerrilla did make an appearance but as nobody probably remembers it got remastered that says most of what I would want to know.

At this point I am probably looking at things like Mafia (won't begrudge anybody it but it will never be my pick), Scarface (sequel to the film, admirable in many ways but probably not what you are after) and going really far back with Getaway on the PS2 (I liked it well enough at the time but I don't think it would come close to holding up today).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.