Games industry votes Apple as biggest influence

D

Deleted User

Just because a game sells, doesn't make it amazing, Look at the call of duty series, its the same re-hashed horribleness, and sells like crack off a hookers ass. Does it make call of duty good? Fuck no.
Are you serious? A game isn't going to sell MILLIONS of copies, break pre-order records, etc. if it's not good. You really think millions of people are just going to buy a game because it has Call of Duty in the name? Get your head out of your ass. That's like saying Justin Bieber is shit (To us), but even though millions of people like him and buy his music, he's not a good singer (Which he's not in my opinion). Yes, it's a bad example seeing as we all pretty much hate him, but guess what, people like different things.

However, to say Call of Duty influenced the gaming industry is absurd (No one said it, but just for future reference). They didn't push any new creativity, or break the boundaries of modern FPSes. But to say that the series is shit, even though millions of people buy the games, and they break pre-order records is utterly stupid.

So you're telling me, Black ops is the best video game ever made then?

YES, I do think people buy Call of Duty games because THEY DON'T KNOW BETTER. Sales= Hype+Advertisement Dollar spend, That's what kind of world we live in.

CoD does not break review records, only sales.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Disputing the facts is irrelevant, as it is undeniably the case that Apple (alongside Facebook and Nintendo) have revolutionized the concept of gaming to "outsiders". iOS even gets a few multiplatform ports. Their SDK is better for developers with graphically intensive tasks, such as gaming or playing video, than most (even though it is in Objective-C which is widely regarded as being a little bit strange). iOS is also smooth and simple, if I did not categorize myself as a power user I would never have contemplated getting a different mobile platform.
Think about it this way, for years the best game you'd ever find on a mobile phone would be Snake. Then Apple come along and throw a proper development kit, as well as an application distribution system at a brand new popular phone, which doesn't require a degree in computer science to operate. Bam, instant success. Others tried, and failed both before and afterwards.

Once again, you talk about money, Just because Ipad/Iphone is the new fad, doesn't mean its going to last, I give 5 years maximum.
Netbooks didn't last 5 years :(
As for quality... oh please, I own an iPhone 4 and it's a product of GREAT quality. I've seen lots of other Android smartphones that my friends own (EVO 3G, Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, and so on), and the iPhone 4 looks like the one build with most quality. The glass feels solid, and the overall design is great.
The higher end Android phones, on average, last longer. They might not look as pretty, but with materials such as teflon and gorilla glass, they're more comfortable and less likely to break.
That said, software support with Android phones is awful, on average most OEMs drop support rather fast and although community support such as CyanogenMod might be nice, it's not really the same as a solid 2 (potentially slightly longer) years guaranteed.
I do not need to install custom themes all day long on my smartphone, that's why I went for an iPhone. I want games, Safari and a few other functions. As long as a product suits your needs, then that's the perfect product for you. Android has literally NO advantages over iOS for me. Actually, since I'm a pretty heavy mobile gamer too, iOS has craploads more games than Android has. So an iPhone is actually better suited for my needs.
Android by default does not support theming, what OEMs brand the OS with isn't really constituted as theming either. I just picked one theme and switched over to Zeam Launcher after reflashing a ROM. With upgrading versions of iOS, I've had to rejailbreak and to reinstall a bunch of stuff, sometimes with broken dependencies. I dunno, it's just simpler for me that way (and I'm not really a themer either, literally all I've changed is the positions of a few widgets, my colourscheme and my background).
Mobile Safari, as far as web standards go, is rather poor (although once again, it's extensions are pretty neat, they make developing a web-app a cinch. No need for standards-breaking CSS/JS tricks like with the other platforms). I personally prefer Dolphin as a mobile browser over all others (although I know that other people will disagree).
So stop judging books from their covers, and start taking things in perspective. Just because you don't like/own an Apple product, it doesn't mean it's a rip-off or that it's a bad choice for other people to buy them.
I own both an Android Phone, and an iPod. I use my phone more, but even then I'll admit the official support has been appalling (thankfully, CyanogenMod support is available). Android gaming is a joke, anybody saying otherwise (I'M LOOKING AT YOU GAMESTOP) is unfortunately wrong, and that'll always be the case as a side-effect of Android's modular design. Apple win on all efficiency fronts, because instead of providing a generic operating system leaving optimization and abstraction to the end user (in most cases that's the OEM), they actually design the OS for the hardware it's running on. Android development is quite literally backwards in comparison.

Aren't we all deviating away from the topic at hand though? We shouldn't be attacking/defending Apple's policies in this thread, it's no secret they're unfair. What nobody can deny is that they HAVE influenced gaming a lot over the past few years.

Reactions: 1 person

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Just because a game sells, doesn't make it amazing, Look at the call of duty series, its the same re-hashed horribleness, and sells like crack off a hookers ass. Does it make call of duty good? Fuck no.
Are you serious? A game isn't going to sell MILLIONS of copies, break pre-order records, etc. if it's not good. You really think millions of people are just going to buy a game because it has Call of Duty in the name? Get your head out of your ass. That's like saying Justin Bieber is shit (To us), but even though millions of people like him and buy his music, he's not a good singer (Which he's not in my opinion). Yes, it's a bad example seeing as we all pretty much hate him, but guess what, people like different things.

However, to say Call of Duty influenced the gaming industry is absurd (No one said it, but just for future reference). They didn't push any new creativity, or break the boundaries of modern FPSes. But to say that the series is shit, even though millions of people buy the games, and they break pre-order records is utterly stupid.

YES, I do think people buy Call of Duty games because THEY DON'T KNOW BETTER. Sales= Hype+Advertisement Dollar spend, That's what kind of world we live in.

No...? When did I ever say it was? Get off the hate train and face the facts that Call of Duty isn't as bad as you seem to think.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol only think I ever saw in mac is the interface but again interface does not justify the damn cost lol.Besides I can just build a hackintosh for cheaper :P

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.....Steve jobs didn't make ANY games, so that 26% is bull-honky. I bet if Steve Jobs was still around, he'd be sorely disappointed. In fact, ever since his death, focus on Apple as being #1 has increased, hasn't it?

I smell sell-outs here.

he made the prototype for breakout when he worked at atari and a lot of games were made for the apple 2.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you serious? A game isn't going to sell MILLIONS of copies, break pre-order records, etc. if it's not good. Yes it can. You really think millions of people are just going to buy a game because it has Call of Duty in the name? yes i do, because ive seen it. Get your head out of your ass. That's like saying Justin Bieber is shit (To us), but even though millions of people like him and buy his music, he's not a good singer (Which he's not in my opinion). Actually thats a perfect example because his fanbase is a bunch of middle school girls who dont know better, but hes a pretty boy singing songs about exactly what they want to hear, and hes also popular with all their little friends, so of course the next teeny bopper is going to like him to. Yes, it's a bad example seeing as we all pretty much hate him, but guess what, people like different things. You actually circumnavigated your own point.
TDWP FTW im not attacking you personally, or anyone that likes CoD. I was just like you (well not the cod loving, but with other videogames). I had to step out of my comfort zone and took a look around.

What is great here is that most of you cant see past your iron to iron sights so see that while you are in your bunkers knifing each other in the back, everyone including your mother is playing Angry Birds on their lunchbreak. Its not revolutionary, its not good by any stretch, but its cheap and doing exactly what people want out of a mobile game. Killing time. As well as owning the market in gaming right now.

I didnt want to believe that 3DS was doing badly due to mobile phone sales and mangry birds because thats absurd. But the science is there.
A 3DS or 360 or whatever is significantly more expensive than a smart phone. Now your 3Ds can always be with you but your 360 cant. But one only has limited pocket space, so you phone is probably the only thing going with you places. Shovelware games for consoles/handhelds are $40 a pop. Now here is what is scary. Angry birds is 1 dollar. the same amount you spend on coffee at MacDonalds. I can by 40 games in the time you spend unboxing "Imagine: Catz" This is where the market is going, whether you ( and i ) want it to. devs are moving from big gaming platforms for smaller and more marketable mobile ones.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Steve Jobs did nothing for the gaming industry. Has he worked on stuff? Yeah, no doubt. But has he totally revolutionized it? Not at all. Hell the only thing he really did was take ideas of products/services that already existed, but just put it one. Obviously this article is fake and stupid. Of course his recent death is going to skew everything. The guy is getting more respect than he deserves.

Which reminds me, I gotta get that biography. Apparently a lot of secrets and shit about Steve is revealed.

D

Deleted User

No...? When did I ever say it was? Get off the hate train and face the facts that Call of Duty isn't as bad as you seem to think.
You just said yourself that people buy Jbieber because don't know better.
Well guess fucking what, CoD sells well because PEOPLE don't know any better.

Did you know, Cod black-ops was unplayable for the first month on PC? It took them over 2 months to make it playable? did you know that? But it still sold, and the forums was full of rage.

Battlefield was working the day it came out, and gets fixes every day..Will it outsell Mw3? No.. Is it better?... Yes. by far.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But to say that the series is shit, even though millions of people buy the games, and they break pre-order records is utterly stupid.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior sold 1 million copies, even though it got horrible reviews. Sales don't tell us anything about the quality of a product.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPhones, iPods, etc, have changed the face of gaming forever it seems.

I don't think I'd vote them over say Valve, who can easily be credited with creating digital distribution (or at least popularizing it) but Apple has done more than you'd like to admit to the gaming industry, probably not even on purpose.

Reactions: 1 person

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People tend to think that if it's not mainly designed to play games, then it isn't a gaming console.

I don't agree with apple being voted as the biggest influence, but they did a lot of important things for the gaming market.

D

Deleted User

I don't think I'd vote them over say Valve, who can easily be credited with creating digital distribution (or at least popularizing it) but Apple has done more than you'd like to admit to the gaming industry, probably not even on purpose.
Apple didn't, the app store did... So essentially Indie dev's did, Apple just takes all the credit for a marketplace they put up.

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
Valwin, on 02 November 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

>Shigeru Miyamoto
>Single handedly invents and refines console gaming
>7%

Atari says hello.

Magnavox also says hello....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Apple didn't, the app store did... So essentially Indie dev's did, Apple just takes all the credit for a marketplace they put up.
Well, apple created the concept of the app store.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For wut