"Gamers are losing patience" with 10-hour-plus games

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think the problem is the long hours, but the repetitiveness of the games... If a 50h game as a main story and the game is basically the same (like shooting, dying and trying again) they'll get tired pretty soon...

Now, if they are going to start to do games with 10/20h only, i'll start to banish games for my life... Paying 60€ for a game that lasts a day isn't my kind of thing...

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
30-35 hour games are perfect for me. If there is extra side quest that extend the total gameplay to 40-50ish that's fine as well. I like to feel I've gotten my money's worth. That will never happen with a game that has less than 10 hours.

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
I read somewhere a month or so ago the average age of gamers who buy games at full price, rather than re-releases or bargain bin in the USA is 37, yep you read that right, 37. Being a few years older than that myself I know a lot of people like me that view grinding and random battles just a waste of time/life after playing countless jrpgs in the past.

I guess developers are just listening to their biggest market?

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wish people would just have a bit more taste. You can't deny that a game like CoD doesn't compare to a game like Mass Effect in terms of quality. I feel sorry for those people who rush through life and not enjoying things as fully as they could...
tongue.gif

The downside to us is that the sales of RPGs and jrpgs are low in the west, eventually they would just stop bringing them here. (already apparent with translations of "Tales of" games etc.)

Saken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I prefer long games and complain when they are too short.
That's why one of my favourite genres is RPG, because they tend to be the longest games.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think this only applies to those kids that get their parents to buy them a new game every week
tongue.gif

I like long games, anyway the average time for a game really is 6-9 hours, depending how good at the game you are.
I had a lot of fun with my 100+ hours pokemon diamond save..
my friend managed to get 300+ hours on pearl o.o

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
I think this only applies to those kids that get their parents to buy them a new game every week
tongue.gif

I like long games, anyway the average time for a game really is 6-9 hours, depending how good at the game you are.
I had a lot of fun with my 100+ hours pokemon diamond save..
my friend managed to get 300+ hours on pearl o.o

Oh, yeah, pokemon games, especially gen 4 and 5, are EASILY 150-200+ hour games.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I like RPG so naturally longer game, MP doesn't count towards the length of time i am playing it mainly on single player, so yeah shooter don't exactly appeal to me. However it appeals to those people whose life depends on online MP

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hmm it depends of the genre of the game but about 10 sounds right for a whole experience.. point is, does it holds replay value or not

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest, I'm fine with games that have only around 10 hours of story gameplay. That is, as long as they have a lot of post-story stuff to do. I love replay value, and I'm a huge fan of minor side plots after the main one.

I dislike games that are short and have no new post-story content.

ganesh2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I spent 229 hours on disgaea 2 on the psp,

23 hours on patapon 3 (and i'm not even finished yet)

79 hours on dissidia 012

145 hours on MGS Peace

11 hours on Super robot taisen A (stuck at the beginning, so 'im levelling up)

39 hours on yakuza psp

19 hours on tales of vs

27 hours on kh bbs

16 hours on kenka bancho B R

and i dont even talk about my ds games because it played them a lot

So i dont know those guys "losing patience" But, to me, if a game isn't lasting long enough, it's only money you're losing.

(i'm thinking of making a list of all the games i played, and summing up all the time i spent playing
rolleyes.gif
)

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all the pokemon games together I've put in 2000+ hours
In Runescape I've put in 2120 hours
And in a $10 indie game known as terraria I've put in 87 hours

I've gotten more play time out of a $10 game then say 8-9 big budget $60 titles combined
I don't think gamers are getting lazy...I think devs are

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard plenty of complaints about both LA Noire and Heavy Rain though in terms of plot.

I think the issue is that while games can have a good story, it has no interesting gameplay to push you through it. Mass Effect has great (possibly the best) narratives but it's also a great game underneath it. It's more than just pressing X to Jason.

I understand the need for making like an adventure game but there's no reason they can't make interesting gameplay in conjunction with it. I thought Alan Wake did a good job of this, same goes for Mass Effect and Dragon Age (Dragon Age 2 kinda had a shit storyline though).

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
I was hooked on both Heavy Rain and L.A Noire, Hell, if it's got brilliant gameplay or a great story or well, both, it can be as long or as short as the devs want it to be.

I hate how people think just because someone plays CoD, means that they are mainstream gamers/ gamers who prefer FPS's, I play CoD alot.

I would have other FPS's aswell if it weren't for my lack of cash, but then I also play things that are almost entirely story based like: LA Noire, Heavy Rain, Time Hollow, Phoenix Wright, and a hell of visual novels.

I'm not saying that you guys/gals think this way, it's just that some posts I see, put directly in that direction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game