"Gamers are losing patience" with 10-hour-plus games

spoonmanx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell, I'll take an amazing 8-10 hour game over a shitty 30 hour game any day!
Plus both of those have add-on DLC and other reasons to reply if one would like.

I am not losing any patience whatsoever.
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These guys need to stop looking at "CoD" gamers. I play Final Fantasy, not because of just the gameplay (although I love turn-based) but because of the heart-wrenching and warming story.

Krile just joined my party, for example.

I almost cried.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
These guys need to stop looking at "CoD" gamers. I play Final Fantasy, not because of just the gameplay (although I love turn-based) but because of the heart-wrenching and warming story.

I almost cried.

^This. LMAO
rofl.gif

Telal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree that this is definitely about the fact that people are more frequently playing FPS games. Why take all that time to make an amazing world and deep story if it's trending towards people wanting to just shoot everything that moves?
What's the flip side though? Don't get me wrong, I loved playing CC and CT, FF and DQ but if you remember back in the PSX days it was starting to become a pad-fest. We all wanted 40+ hour games and it was just easier to give you shitty side quests and make you grind than it was to really put the effort in and make a world that you really care about and hate to leave. As far as story goes... I find it much better to get from books than video games anymore. I find in games with an actual story, it's hard for me to really care about anyone if the game creator themselves didn't.
Fallout for instance... 1 and 2 were games I was able to be fully immersed in (Like the D&D PC games) but come to a game like Fallout 3 or New Vegas... I find I'm skipping conversations so often that I'm not even entirely sure what was said to me in the first place... Nor do I care to find out.
Action RPGs don't really take the time to flesh out their stories (Kingdom Hearts is a definite exception) and JRPGs (I remember when people just said RPG and everyone knew what you meant... nobody would say "Like Zelda?" and there was no need to say JRPG) are becoming more and more lackluster and hard to come by.
That's my piece... read it, don't... Either way I'm definitely getting sick of paying $60 for a game that gets a little over an afternoon of play.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with this article, but it's not all bad.

I definitely don't have as much time as I used to for games, and when I do have free time I don't like spending it on games.

I actually prefer shorter games (Like 6-10 hours) but I like to have optional replay content.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is a fact that casuals are taking over the gaming world. But because of that, games are getting shittier everyday, to appeal this class of """""gamers"""""

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember a few years back when the media was praising video games.

"Kids these days are reading more now then ever!"
"Video games help kids make more unified goals!"
"Video games make kids more cooperative!"
"It cures AIDS!"

What happened to that?

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
With all these complains about games being to short with not enough content?

I disagree.
I also have to disagree. After playing Red Faction: Armageddon. I somehow feel ripped off.

D

Deleted_171835

Ah, that's just silly.

I'm more than happy to sit down and get engrossed in a long game provided that it's a good game. The length of a game doesn't concern me. As long as the game is good, I'll play it regardless of how long it takes to completed.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Slyakin said:

I almost cried.
lol NICELY SAID!
biggrin.gif

Not, bashing Sony or anything, but Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 got me pretty frustrated.

I have no idea why Killzone 2's reviews were more than 7 out of 10.

It was all shooting and shooting and shooting, the pace of the game was just fucked up. Difficulty didnt feel any different throughout the whole game but at one point towards the end it was fucking hard ...

Similar with Killzone 3.

CoD is just same shit the last 4-5 years -.-. I do enjoy the campaign still somehow lol.

No question that games like FF totally gets you into it. I barely ever skip cut-scenes or anything
biggrin.gif

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
Telal said:
I agree that this is definitely about the fact that people are more frequently playing FPS games. Why take all that time to make an amazing world and deep story if it's trending towards people wanting to just shoot everything that moves?
What's the flip side though? Don't get me wrong, I loved playing CC and CT, FF and DQ but if you remember back in the PSX days it was starting to become a pad-fest. We all wanted 40+ hour games and it was just easier to give you shitty side quests and make you grind than it was to really put the effort in and make a world that you really care about and hate to leave. As far as story goes... I find it much better to get from books than video games anymore. I find in games with an actual story, it's hard for me to really care about anyone if the game creator themselves didn't.
Fallout for instance... 1 and 2 were games I was able to be fully immersed in (Like the D&D PC games) but come to a game like Fallout 3 or New Vegas... I find I'm skipping conversations so often that I'm not even entirely sure what was said to me in the first place... Nor do I care to find out.
Action RPGs don't really take the time to flesh out their stories (Kingdom Hearts is a definite exception) and JRPGs (I remember when people just said RPG and everyone knew what you meant... nobody would say "Like Zelda?" and there was no need to say JRPG) are becoming more and more lackluster and hard to come by.
That's my piece... read it, don't... Either way I'm definitely getting sick of paying $60 for a game that gets a little over an afternoon of play.

You still buy games? LOL

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
shakirmoledina said:
"This survey was released by Gamespot"
/endthreadNope, not even a survey.
Did you read the thread?QUOTEWho Was There: The session was made up of a five-person panel of designers and story writers: Charles Cecil, famous for his work on Broken Sword; Adrian Hon, chief creative officer of story developer Six to Start; Alexis Kennedy, chief narrative officer at Fail Better games; Patrick O'Luanaigh, CEO of indie developer nDreams; and writer David Varela.

Telal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hyro-Sama said:
Telal said:

You still buy games? LOL

Absolutely, that's not to say that I don't occasionally pirate a PC or DS game (Just like with music or movies, I believe in a try before you buy system [Thank you Canada for not going retarded on piracy of intangibles])... But if it's good I'll always go out and buy it to support the people who made it. If we all stopped buying games, what reason would there be for people to make them?

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Slyakin said:

"It cures AIDS!"

What happened to that?
I even learnt english by playing RPGs and practiced playing FFX.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:

"It cures AIDS!"

What happened to that?
The CoD change happened.
With its complete lack of anything you could call "story" and all focus on online, there's no reading, no thinking, no team-work, and no goals to be made. There's no reason for a child to believe that the military isn't fun (which means they'll generally try very little in school when they learn they can join at the drop of a hat), and no reason for them to believe they can't fully operate an assault rifle in their dad's gun closet.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
shakirmoledina said:
"This survey was released by Gamespot"
/endthreadNope, not even a survey.
Did you read the thread?QUOTEWho Was There: The session was made up of a five-person panel of designers and story writers: Charles Cecil, famous for his work on Broken Sword; Adrian Hon, chief creative officer of story developer Six to Start; Alexis Kennedy, chief narrative officer at Fail Better games; Patrick O'Luanaigh, CEO of indie developer nDreams; and writer David Varela.
Who the fuck kind of people are these?

I don't even know half of those publishers. Next thing you know, Rovio will pop up agreeing with them.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
I love because FF because of the length. If it wasn't that long I would not play. Although, when playing I do forget to do all of necessary rituals, like sleeping or going to the bathroom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol