Gamefreak POSSIBLY Considering Pokemon Ruby And Sapphire Remakes (3DS)

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what everyone's up in arms about.

The 3rd generation games were good, and I've seen absolutely no reason to think otherwise. And even if they weren't your favorites, what's the big deal if they get a remake? It shows that GameFreak still listens to what fans want, and it'd make a lot of people happy, myself included. Plus they'd be selling more games, which is a good thing for them.

Win/Win

I see absolutely nothing bad coming out of this. Nothing at all.

Reactions: 2 people

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what everyone's up in arms about.

The 3rd generation games were good, and I've seen absolutely no reason to think otherwise. And even if they weren't your favorites, what's the big deal if they get a remake? It shows that GameFreak still listens to what fans want, and it'd make a lot of people happy, myself included. Plus they'd be selling more games, which is a good thing for them.

Win/Win

I see absolutely nothing bad coming out of this. Nothing at all.
This is GBATemp. What the hell else are we gonna do?

Agree on shit?

Shudder

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 16 badges of GSC and the return to Kanto was a poor move to me. The Kanto region felt so stripped down that they might as well have put the eight gyms side by side with Red sitting next to the eighth. It was nothing but filler if you didn't feel the actual game was long enough. I can't say I was able to really appreciate that portion. In fact, every time I've played, I've never completed the Kanto portion, as it is just so damn boring compared to core Johto portion.

I consider the second gen the experimental stage. Yeah, it was the best in terms of new content. Pearl/Diamond and Black/White are even a step down when comparing core aspects like the actual Pokemon. It was early, and there was room for creativity. Once you have two generations of the fuckers, I'm sure it is a bit more difficult to come up with new stuff continously, yet the fans will demand it endlessly.

The step down to 8 badges was a move of "we have enough content here, lets not push the patience of the players." I liked a lot of the Pokemon. I liked them a lot more than I like anything that has come since. The secret bases were more of a "we hope you have friends that like Pokemon deal." I'm sure they worked out great in Japan, but had limited success elsewhere. I will argue that the overworld was massive (underwater caverns and shit, big land masses, lots of ocean). Comparing the map in GSC to the map in RSE is like comparing the size of Australia to the size of the whole of Asia. Doesn't compare by much. The earlier maps were generally just elaborate loops due to the limitations of the hardware, while later maps send you on a one way road with a few shortcuts here or there to help you out, but going backwards isn't easy without the Fly ability.

Pokemon fans like dem remakes.

It's kinda silly to say that Pokemon fans will "lose patience" pursuing 16 badges instead of the normal 8 when a lot of them have no issue mindlessly grinding their Pokemon to lvl 100 (with the right EVs and that bullshit) until their brains turn to sludge. Also, Kanto in GSC seemed fine. Not as filled as Johto, for sure, but it still had your trainers, new Pokemon, side quests, gym leaders, whatever. I played that game through and through as a kid and I never lost patience with it.

And I really see know difference in the size of the maps. If anything I don't want to spend a lot of time wading through a long and boring stretch of wilderness. I want to get to the next area, heal up, train up, and spank a gym leader, not go through annoying tall grass mazes and get buttfucked by trainers when my Pokemon are limping to safety. That's what makes me lose patience, actually.

Reactions: 2 people

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that would be cool. they shouldnt make another new season cuz it would be waste then. a remake would be better than anything right now. Ruby was one of the best out of all the games.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's kinda silly to say that Pokemon fans will "lose patience" pursuing 16 badges instead of the normal 8 when a lot of them have no issue mindlessly grinding their Pokemon to lvl 100 (with the right EVs and that bullshit) until their brains turn to sludge. Also, Kanto in GSC seemed fine. Not as filled as Johto, for sure, but it still had your trainers, new Pokemon, side quests, gym leaders, whatever. I played that game through and through as a kid and I never lost patience with it.

And I really see know difference in the size of the maps. If anything I don't want to spend a lot of time wading through a long and boring stretch of wilderness. I want to get to the next area, heal up, train up, and spank a gym leader, not go through annoying tall grass mazes and get buttfucked by trainers when my Pokemon are limping to safety. That's what makes me lose patience, actually.

Please don't hate or kill me for saying this, but...

Protip: Bring lots of healing stuff.

I always overprepared for Gen 3, and it turned out to work in my favor. A Pickup User is also quite handy if I do say so myself.

I never really lost my Patience with Kanto in GSC at first, until FR/LG came out, and then after playing HG/SS...Kanto started to get a little bit old to me, but again that's just me.

Again, no reason why we couldn't do two generation remakes in one cart. Or at the very least, introduce a storyline post-e4 that deal with Kanto.

> That GBATemp ever entirely agrees on a subject btw.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, why request a remake for a game that seems fundamentally the same for every game, mechanics wise? I'd want to encourage something new or want them to improve upon the formula more, not take a step back for another remake.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
If you want something different... just play a different game

The only way I could think GameFreak "improving" upon the classic pkmn formula, is a MORPG. That would be awesome!... but it seems so unlikely to happen.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, why request a remake for a game that seems fundamentally the same for every game, mechanics wise? I'd want to encourage something new or want them to improve upon the formula more, not take a step back for another remake.

The only way I could think GameFreak "improving" upon the classic pkmn formula, is a MORPG. That would be awesome!... but it seems so unlikely to happen.

Bread certainly ain't broke but I don't want to eat it every day. Some people say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", some people say "Same shit, different day". Tomato, tomata.

Also, a Pokemon MMO would just be little kids running around, yapping about Pokemon, grown losers being losers, and everyone spamming you for Pokemon battles. Also, enjoy catching Pokemon? How would you like a thousand people in the same field? Yeah, thought so.

Gamefreak could change up the formula a bit. Change up how shit works. They did it with the Special split, the Physical/Special attack split, now make a groundbreaker. And don't ask me for ideas, I don't make the games.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay.

1. The formula has been evolving with each generation. Play Pokemon Black, and then play the original Pokemon Red. Now list the differences. Hell, even the differences from Gen I to Gen II were immense. They may not be as profound every time, but they're there.

2. Thinking like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is what spawns $60 disc based CoD texture packs every 2-3 years.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do we need R/S remakes? We got Gen 1 and 2 because they weren't compatable with Gen 3 (Being that the games were Gameboy color and Gen 3 and up no longer supported it) Now you could just get a DS Lite, migrate to the Gen 4 games and do the swap thing to Gen 5. Ruby and Sapphire remakes are not needed.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want a hardcore, rated M, intense Pokemon Action RPG.
With guns, blood, rap music and other hardcore shit.

I got 99 Pokemon but a Pidgey ain't one.

I just hope Pokemon sticks to the 2D stuff. I don't see it being really all that fun in long, drawn out 3D battles. There's all this cool tech for 2D stuff coming out (see Rayman Origins). Get on that shit.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamefreak could change up the formula a bit. Change up how shit works. They did it with the Special split, the Physical/Special attack split, now make a groundbreaker. And don't ask me for ideas, I don't make the games.
GameFreak made an even bigger change (compare to the special split from gen1 to gen2) in gen4 changing the "special" and "physic" attribute of each move. Obviously you didn’t realize that.

1. The formula has been evolving with each generation. Play Pokemon Black, and then play the original Pokemon Red. Now list the differences. Hell, even the differences from Gen I to Gen II were immense. They may not be as profound every time, but they're there.

2. Thinking like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is what spawns $60 disc based CoD texture packs every 2-3 years.
Really? You think that I mean that? :glare: New pokemon games are not a simple texture swap

Like you said.... pokemon games are different one to each other "The differences may not be as profound every time, but they're there"... but the gameplay essentially remains the same, that's why I said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Pokemon is a turn based RPG... no need to change that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameFreak made an even bigger change (compare to the special split from gen1 to gen2) in gen4 changing the "special" and "physic" attribute of each move. Obviously you didn’t realize that.

Obviously you didn't realize that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would KILL for a Ruby and Sapphire remake, as well as Emerald. I just love those games to death. I still remember the times that I played Emerald when I was a kid. 400 hours of gameplay accumulated on just that game. I never used any cheats on that game; it was all legit. I really miss those times. Today's Pokemon games are somewhat losing their appeal to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.