Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.n64textures.com
XP
Country
United States
I will start off by stating that:
1. I own all of the hardware and software mentioned in this post.
2. This is intended for legal use of archived GB games. (Much like the way Devolution works)

The goal of this thread is to emulate the DOL-017 hardware and utilize with official software (start-up disk) or iso backup of disk started using the great Usb loader configurable + devolution.
Most of us know how devolution works so I will not go into much detail on that subject.

What I would like to see is 95% or > compatibility for GB, GBC, GBA games under : Softmod wii/Usb loader cfg/devolution/Gameboy start up disk (tested and boots up with r71; latest rev I think) /find /SD or Usb GBA game!

It seems to me that the wii has a gamecube (MIOS) trapped inside a it's self but can't be properly used without hacking some of the first gen NGC add-on hardware; as it's obvious or at least it should be, that the DOL-017 will not fit on the wii.

I would post a shot of the start up iso working from the usb loader but I don't have a decent camera :(

Thoughts?

Reactions: alivebacon

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I have also gotten the iso to work with Devolution and would be cool to use GB Player in Wii mode but it's nearly impossible, let's say tueidj added emulation of the hardware through Wii mode; this would make a lot of games incompatible and would require a lot of work to get compatibility up.

How would it verify if the game running is a backup too?
Either way Devolution seems to be on some sort of hiatus

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps DIOS MIOS would be a better option for getting this to work..? Seems like it just needs a path correction from the disc software as to where to load GBA roms from, instead of the hardware slot. Doesn't seem to difficult in theory, but then again, I'm no coder... I could only imagine the nightmare this would be to code support for booting GBA/GB(C) games from SD/USB.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If accuracy/compatibility is what you seek, then it defeats the purpose of emulating GB player. This is because what you proposed is no different than VBA GX, translating Z80/ARM code from GB lineup to PowerPC used by the Wii.

GB player process GB/GBA games directly, not GameCube. So essentially GB player = GameBoy Advance. Since VBA GX is already emulating GameBoy Advance....

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Software on the Disc is not helping you to play any Gameboy related content. The Gameboy Player Hardware was the key since inside of this thing is a complete GBA. The Disc is just some sort of driver to make it work on the GC.
So in fact of you want to have GBA in Mios Dios or Devolution they would need to write a full emulator.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yeah, the Game Boy Player played games so well because it IS a GBA. It just had it's input and video rerouted to the GameCube so if you were to do something like this you would basically have to have a full GBA emulator running anyhow to emulate the Player hardware itself (something like VBA) and do the extra work to route it through the software that runs on the disk instead of just doing the easier way of routing it directly to the controls and screen ... which is what a homebrew GBA emulator would be doing anyhow.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps an easier question to ask is if someone could incorperate the GBplayer bios into a GBA emulator, letting the emulator handle the game, but adding the perks of the GBplayer. (cept there really aren't any :/) Could be interesting to see, but probably is never gonna happen.

NES_player4life

NODERATOR
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.n64textures.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so the DOL-017 is in fact it's own system powered by the GameCube thru the serial port using the disk only as a key of sorts and not as an OS.
Oh-well, here I thought I was on the track to a new improvement. :(

I will have to look into RetroArch.

Thank you all for the well informed reply's.

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps an easier question to ask is if someone could incorperate the GBplayer bios into a GBA emulator, letting the emulator handle the game, but adding the perks of the GBplayer. (cept there really aren't any :/) Could be interesting to see, but probably is never gonna happen.
I think the main perk is the inclusion of special colorization for specific GB games (Metroid II, Kirby) that it inherits from the GBC BIOS. The built-in colorization for these games is really excellent, and I've not seen it reproduced elsewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30