Hardware Gamecube Controllers now work on switch with all games through official wii u smash bros adapter

jefffisher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just saw it on gamexplain
for some reason i had to go to find my controllers to get it to detect.
just played some 4 player mario kart 8 using all gamecube controllers
and also just update my launch day 1.0 switch for this momentous occasion.

my biggest complaint with the wii u was that the adapter only worked for smash.

mayflash adapter and offbrand controllers also work as well as wavebirds.

D

Deleted-355425

Yeah saw this on youtube. Awesome that even all 4 controller ports can be used. Seems the Switch is future-proof for competitive Smash players when it inevitably gets a Smash Bros. game.

Now, if only they could add Wii U pro controller compatibility...

Not going to happen, the switch pro controller is better in every way.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

... duh. Never said they were better. I just have 3 Wii U pro controllers sitting around and only one pro Switch controller. Sure would be convenient for 4 player Mario Karting to not have to buy another controller or two if I don't have to. You see? Its not at all about being better or not, but rather what I have access to.

Also, I wouldn't say not going to happen at all, prior to the launch of the Switch, Nintendo entertained the idea saying, that the Switch wont initially support any Wii U controllers buy may in the future.

Reactions: 2Hack and pelago

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Is that a 4.0.0 feature or does that work in earlier Firmwares, too?

EDIT: Does not seem to work on my 3.0.0 Switch.

Last edited by enarky,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that a 4.0.0 feature or does that work in earlier Firmwares, too?

4.0.0 added support for the official adapter. However an earlier Switch update this summer added support for the Mayflash gamecube controller adapter. However, the Mayflash adapter would only recognize up to 1 controller connected to the adapter at a time, while now the official adapter can recognize all 4 ports as separate controllers if they are all connected.

D

Deleted-355425

... duh. Never said they were better. I just have 3 Wii U pro controllers sitting around and only one pro Switch controller. Sure would be convenient for 4 player Mario Karting to not have to buy another controller or two if I don't have to. You see? Its not at all about being better or not, but rather what I have access to.

Also, I wouldn't say not going to happen at all, prior to the launch of the Switch, Nintendo entertained the idea saying, that the Switch wont initially support any Wii U controllers buy may in the future.

They won’t be doing that... not a chance in hell.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won’t be doing that... not a chance in hell.

I don't see why. You know as much as I do. So you're just guessing. And I can guess too. I see a future Wii Fit title of some sort (perhaps the Wii branding will be dropped), and what do you bet that when that game comes that you'll be able to connect your Wii Balance Board to the Switch? And if they enable one form of Wii/Wii U bluetooth controllers to connect, then I don't see why others like the Wii U Pro controller couldn't also follow.

So with your same uneducated cockiness, I'm going to say: They will absolutely be doing that in time... without a doubt.

D

Deleted-355425

I don't see why. You know as much as I do. So you're just guessing. And I can guess too. I see a future Wii Fit title of some sort (perhaps the Wii branding will be dropped), and what do you bet that when that game comes that you'll be able to connect your Wii Balance Board to the Switch? And if they enable one form of Wii/Wii U bluetooth controllers to connect, then I don't see why others like the Wii U Pro controller couldn't also follow.

So with your same uneducated cockiness, I'm going to say: They will absolutely be doing that in time... without a doubt.

Why would they do this when they make more money on switch pro controllers. Stop being right and put your hand in your pocket.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they do this when they make more money on switch pro controllers. Stop being right and put your hand in your pocket.

... So why allow for us to attach our Wii U pokken tournament controllers or our Gamecube controllers to the Switch under your logic?? Why allow the Wii to play Gamecube games or the 3DS to play DS games? OF course they like money, but they also deliver on features when they can. Plus lets be real, the Wii U didn't sell like crazy, if they allowed for us to connect our Wii U pro controllers they wouldn't be hurting their sales that much. And even still if you want to play games with gyro aiming or amiibo scanning, you're not going to be able to use a Wii U pro controller anyway, so there would still be reason to get Switch pro controllers for Wii U pro controller owners anyway.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
just saw it on gamexplain
for some reason i had to go to find my controllers to get it to detect.
just played some 4 player mario kart 8 using all gamecube controllers
and also just update my launch day 1.0 switch for this momentous occasion.

my biggest complaint with the wii u was that the adapter only worked for smash.

mayflash adapter and offbrand controllers also work as well as wavebirds.
I saw the video in gamexplain but either it didn't or I missed the part where more than a single controller works.

AFAIK, every USB adapter before 4.0.0 only supported a single controller. I couldn't be happier to own an original GC adapter <3 Now I wonder if the new multi-controller feature works with Mayflash and others.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I can’t get my generic smash bros four port GameCube to USB adapter to work. It works fine on the wiiu. And yes I do have 4.0 :( I tried three different controllers

jefffisher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the video in gamexplain but either it didn't or I missed the part where more than a single controller works.

AFAIK, every USB adapter before 4.0.0 only supported a single controller. I couldn't be happier to own an original GC adapter <3 Now I wonder if the new multi-controller feature works with Mayflash and others.
i don't think the video mentioned more than one controller works but i did it personally for a good long while before posting this thread.
hopefully nintendo starts selling the adapters and controllers again i'd hate for everybody to have to buy those awful third party controllers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can’t get my generic smash bros four port GameCube to USB adapter to work. It works fine on the wiiu. And yes I do have 4.0 :( I tried three different controllers
it was a bit hard to do.
i had to have both the black and the gray wire plugged into the front of the switch dock after i couldn't get it working in the normal press L+R screen i went to find my controllers it it detected them there, they worked the first time from there on out.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk the dpad missing its middle pivot makes it more difficult to get accurate inputs when they are really crucial. Don't know why so many people seem to think it's fine. Have they never felt a proper dpad, or maybe they don't game enough to realize the difference between the center pivot of older controllers versus a flat dpad. Go between an older Nintendo dpad and the current pro controller. You should feel a fairly dramatic difference between the two in terms of precise directional input.

Reactions: SonicMC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro