Game Boy vs Neo Geo Pocket

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
This is basically a follow up to GCN vs Xbox vs PS2. I should probably do these more than whatever the shit sticks are my other posts...
Anyway, let's begin.

RAM:
NGP: 12 MB
GB: 8 KB

Resolution:
NGP: 160 x 152
GB: 160 x 144

Units Sold:
GB: 118.69 million (how much EarthBound should have sold)
NGP: 25,000

Quality:
GB: Could survive an EXPLOSION.
NGP: I'm not entirely sure.

Games Published:
GB: 1046
NGP: 86

Design/Comfortability:
GB: Better grip and hand space
NGP: Same comfortability as the Game Gear but a bit more compact and downgraded.

Lifespan:
GB: 1989-2003
NGP: 1999-2001

Overall winner:
Game Boy, no doubt about it. While the Neo Geo had it's ups, there was mostly the downs.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found and bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color lying on a random shelf at Goodwill a few years ago!
Got it for very cheap and surprisingly good condition - I bet the employees probably thought it was some wierd Game Boy knockoff, or one of those LeapFrog handhelds, and just threw it on the shelf.

I currently have just two games: Metal Slug 1st Mission and Sonic Pocket Adventure.
It pretty much is a slightly more powerful GBC, and I'm not much of a Fighting Game guy, so the lineup is kinda bare-bones for me. I can see why it got crushed by the GBA.

That can't be right on the Units Sold, though. Do you have the source for that one?

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
I found and bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color lying on a random shelf at Goodwill a few years ago!
Got it for very cheap and surprisingly good condition - I bet the employees probably thought it was some wierd Game Boy knockoff, or one of those LeapFrog handhelds, and just threw it on the shelf.

I currently have just two games: Metal Slug 1st Mission and Sonic Pocket Adventure.
It pretty much is a slightly more powerful GBC, and I'm not much of a Fighting Game guy, so the lineup is kinda bare-bones for me. I can see why it got crushed by the GBA.

That can't be right on the Units Sold, though. Do you have the source for that one?
Google.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just did a quick look on Wikipedia - looks like the 25,000 was for Japan.
Europe sold 100,000, and in North America it "retained a 2% market share - although minuscule compared to the Nintendo's Game Boy Color, it was enough to turn a profit for SNK America."

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Just did a quick look on Wikipedia - looks like the 25,000 was for Japan.
Europe sold 100,000, and in North America it "retained a 2% market share - although minuscule compared to the Nintendo's Game Boy Color, it was enough to turn a profit for SNK America."
Well, at least I got SOMETHING RIGHT

• Haha

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I have a gameboy color on my backpack today, in 2023, so it's clear who's the winner for me.

That said, playing Metal Slug on the NG Pocket was a blast on that old days (I did just once, during a single day), and I don't even like Metal Slug games.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"
RAM:
"

lol lad, the N64 with jumper pak didn't even have 12MB of ram, I think you meant KB

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
This is basically a follow up to GCN vs Xbox vs PS2. I should probably do these more than whatever the shit sticks are my other posts...
Anyway, let's begin.

RAM:

Resolution:
NGP: 160 x 152
GB: 160 x 144

Units Sold:
GB: 118.69 million (how much EarthBound should have sold)
NGP: 25,000

Quality:
GB: Could survive an EXPLOSION.
NGP: I'm not entirely sure.

Games Published:
GB: 1046
NGP: 86

Design/Comfortability:
GB: Better grip and hand space
NGP: Same comfortability as the Game Gear but a bit more compact and downgraded.

Lifespan:
GB: 1989-2003
NGP: 1999-2001

Overall winner:
Game Boy, no doubt about it. While the Neo Geo had it's ups, there was mostly the downs.
Stick neo geo pocket > all things gameboy

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel the NeoGeo Pocket Color, specifically, had more hardware capabilities. It felt like a 16-bit system that could only output 8-bit color graphics. It's honestly a weird system for me. PC Engine / TurboGrafix 16 feels the same way... 16-bit graphical capabilities, but limited by 8-bit style pallets most of the time. I dunno, those two systems are just odd to me. NES and SNES differed greatly between their graphical styles, same with Master System and Mega Drive. PCE and NGPC just feel like they fall somewhere between the 8-bit and 16-bit machines, and I can't quite place it.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel the NeoGeo Pocket Color, specifically, had more hardware capabilities. It felt like a 16-bit system that could only output 8-bit color graphics. It's honestly a weird system for me. PC Engine / TurboGrafix 16 feels the same way... 16-bit graphical capabilities, but limited by 8-bit style pallets most of the time. I dunno, those two systems are just odd to me. NES and SNES differed greatly between their graphical styles, same with Master System and Mega Drive. PCE and NGPC just feel like they fall somewhere between the 8-bit and 16-bit machines, and I can't quite place it.
The sound system in the NGPC is like that too.
It can only output 8-bit chiptune music,
yet in Metal Slug the game samples very high quality sound effects and voice clips straight out of the arcades.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: food?