Fire Emblem Fates to be delisted in February 2023, one month before eShop closure

Fire_Emblem_Fates_special_edition_cover_art.jpg

As reported back in February, Nintendo will be shuttering the eShop for the Wii U and 3DS in March of 2023. We've finally been given an exact date, March 27, but another odd tidbit has come up as well. One of the 3DS's landmark titles, Fire Emblem Fates, will be removed from sale on February 28, one month before the eShop closes.

It seems that Nintendo is doing this because of Fates's unique structure. Fire Emblem Fates is an umbrella term for three different games: Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation. The story revolves around a decision made by the player character, an adopted royal facing an upcoming war, who can either side with his birth family (Birthright), his adopted family (Conquest), or can unite both sides (Revelation). For the physical release, cartridges were marked as either Fire Emblem Fates Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and would give access to the corresponding story path, with the other two being available to download for half the price of the base game.

The digital version worked differently, however. The first six chapters are the same for every story path, so the digital copy doesn't differentiate between story paths, and is just listed as Fire Emblem Fates. After finishing chapter 6, the player can download any one of the three paths they like, but are then locked out of the other story paths until they pay the standard fee. Essentially, all three paths are presented as DLC, but purchasing the game awards the player with a credit to get one of the paths for free.

While that method seems preferable for the most part, it's introduced a bit of an awkward situation with the eShop's upcoming closure. Someone could easily buy Fates a day or two before it closes and if they don't reach chapter 6 by March 27, they will be locked out of getting any additional path, leaving them paying full price for what is essentially a prologue. So, while Fates will be delisted from sale on February 28, the DLC routes will remain available until the eShop's closure, giving players extra time to reach chapter 6 and make their decision.

As of right now, it seems this will only be the case in the UK and Japan. The American release of Fates appears to have mirrored the structure of the physical release, and there is no notice of Fates being delisted early on the American website or any associated social media.

:arrow: Source

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why even remove it if they're closing the eShop anyway. There has to be a reason. Honestly, it was a shit idea to even separate the routes in the first place. It should've been part of the base game. But no, they just wanted to squeeze as much money out of people as possible. Surprised they didn't do this shit with Three Houses.
Wouldn't that make literally all eshop games unavailable, why focus on a single game, and remove it early? 🤨
The general idea is that if you happened to buy Fates on the last day and then the eShop closed, you wouldn't be able to actually activate your route of choice and you'd have spent £40 on six chapters of gameplay. Giving a month cut off between buying the game and selecting your route to avoid this situation is a wise move in my opinion.

Reactions: VinsCool

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Why even remove it if they're closing the eShop anyway. There has to be a reason. Honestly, it was a shit idea to even separate the routes in the first place. It should've been part of the base game. But no, they just wanted to squeeze as much money out of people as possible. Surprised they didn't do this shit with Three Houses.
Wouldn't that make literally all eshop games unavailable, why focus on a single game, and remove it early? 🤨
Probably license contract issue, not worth to extend if eshop closes.
Remember Pokemon and Youkai games, they only slightly different.
And here you see 3 different games in 1 (only prologue same)

Last edited by k7ra,
Reactions: VinsCool

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the special edition yes it has all 3 games but not the dlc that helps with leveling that is useful in a fire emblem game especially if u want to play the harder modes

Smash0251

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As reported back in February, Nintendo will be shuttering the eShop for the Wii U and 3DS in March of 2023. We've finally been given an exact date, March 27, but another odd tidbit has come up as well. One of the 3DS's landmark titles, Fire Emblem Fates, will be removed from sale on February 28, one month before the eShop closes.

It seems that Nintendo is doing this because of Fates's unique structure. Fire Emblem Fates is an umbrella term for three different games: Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation. The story revolves around a decision made by the player character, an adopted royal facing an upcoming war, who can either side with his birth family (Birthright), his adopted family (Conquest), or can unite both sides (Revelation). For the physical release, cartridges were marked as either Fire Emblem Fates Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and would give access to the corresponding story path, with the other two being available to download for half the price of the base game.

The digital version worked differently, however. The first six chapters are the same for every story path, so the digital copy doesn't differentiate between story paths, and is just listed as Fire Emblem Fates. After finishing chapter 6, the player can download any one of the three paths they like, but are then locked out of the other story paths until they pay the standard fee. Essentially, all three paths are presented as DLC, but purchasing the game awards the player with a credit to get one of the paths for free.

While that method seems preferable for the most part, it's introduced a bit of an awkward situation with the eShop's upcoming closure. Someone could easily buy Fates a day or two before it closes and if they don't reach chapter 6 by March 27, they will be locked out of getting any additional path, leaving them paying full price for what is essentially a prologue. So, while Fates will be delisted from sale on February 28, the DLC routes will remain available until the eShop's closure, giving players extra time to reach chapter 6 and make their decision.

As of right now, it seems this will only be the case in the UK and Japan. The American release of Fates appears to have mirrored the structure of the physical release, and there is no notice of Fates being delisted early on the American website or any associated social media.

:arrow: Source
Glad I have CFW, love this game

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This part has completely confused me. If I wasn't already avoiding the series, I think this would have made me a bit frustrated with the game in playing it anyway, and make me hesitant on purchasing future titles. I'm glad I'm not into Fire Emblem.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This part has completely confused me. If I wasn't already avoiding the series, I think this would have made me a bit frustrated with the game in playing it anyway, and make me hesitant on purchasing future titles. I'm glad I'm not into Fire Emblem.
It was pretty dumb. Like the idea is a novel one in regards to story choice but the fact that they made the limited edition cartridge that had all three routes loaded onto it just proved it was never an issue with cartridge space.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
just looking for excuses to pirate
I agree. This is what I don't get. Anyone who have interest on the 3DS have already bought everything they want on the eshop. We are 5 years deep on the switch ffs. I doubt anyone is still buying on the 3DS eshop. Even collectors only prefers physical games.

Reactions: k7ra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1