Fire Emblem Fates to be delisted in February 2023, one month before eShop closure

Fire_Emblem_Fates_special_edition_cover_art.jpg

As reported back in February, Nintendo will be shuttering the eShop for the Wii U and 3DS in March of 2023. We've finally been given an exact date, March 27, but another odd tidbit has come up as well. One of the 3DS's landmark titles, Fire Emblem Fates, will be removed from sale on February 28, one month before the eShop closes.

It seems that Nintendo is doing this because of Fates's unique structure. Fire Emblem Fates is an umbrella term for three different games: Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation. The story revolves around a decision made by the player character, an adopted royal facing an upcoming war, who can either side with his birth family (Birthright), his adopted family (Conquest), or can unite both sides (Revelation). For the physical release, cartridges were marked as either Fire Emblem Fates Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and would give access to the corresponding story path, with the other two being available to download for half the price of the base game.

The digital version worked differently, however. The first six chapters are the same for every story path, so the digital copy doesn't differentiate between story paths, and is just listed as Fire Emblem Fates. After finishing chapter 6, the player can download any one of the three paths they like, but are then locked out of the other story paths until they pay the standard fee. Essentially, all three paths are presented as DLC, but purchasing the game awards the player with a credit to get one of the paths for free.

While that method seems preferable for the most part, it's introduced a bit of an awkward situation with the eShop's upcoming closure. Someone could easily buy Fates a day or two before it closes and if they don't reach chapter 6 by March 27, they will be locked out of getting any additional path, leaving them paying full price for what is essentially a prologue. So, while Fates will be delisted from sale on February 28, the DLC routes will remain available until the eShop's closure, giving players extra time to reach chapter 6 and make their decision.

As of right now, it seems this will only be the case in the UK and Japan. The American release of Fates appears to have mirrored the structure of the physical release, and there is no notice of Fates being delisted early on the American website or any associated social media.

:arrow: Source

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And this continues to be the reason why it’s always ok to pirate Nintendo games
Honestly I agree. If they're going to remove the ability to buy it legally in a digital format then what else are people supposed to do?
This was always going to be a problem with the routes being DLC, as far as I'm concerned Nintendo made their bed.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why DLC that never gets a physical release is a black-eye for any game.

But there is a physical release with the DLC bundled for this game. Collectors edition or something? I'm vaguely aware of it, but that's going to be the best way to play. Too bad it goes for a LOT on ebay. I guess it had a limited release?

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But there is a physical release with the DLC bundled for this game. Collectors edition or something? I'm vaguely aware of it, but that's going to be the best way to play. Too bad it goes for a LOT on ebay. I guess it had a limited release?
They called it the Special Edition. Super limited, sold out basically immediately and was never restocked. But it had all 3 routes available on the cartridge from day 1. Even the cartridge/home screen labeled it as just “Fire Emblem Fates” without attaching a version label to it, which I thought was pretty cool.

Reactions: Kitocco and osaka35

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That was the Special Edition, and I think it had a pretty limited print run, yeah. I also can't 100% tell if all three are actually on the cartridge. Looks like in Japan two were on there and you got a code to download the third, but in NA all 3 were on the cartridge? I dunno why every region's release of this game is different.

Reactions: osaka35

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I play the game super slow and won't be able to reach chapter 6 in a month?
Then buy the game sooner than the last possible day? That's why Nintendo is announcing it now.

I guess the collectors edition had a limited release?
Extremely. I remember trying to pre-order the Special Edition several weeks ahead of time and it was unavailable. Then one store said they would have it, but you had to wait in line on release day. I waited in line an hour before they opened only to hear they didn't get a shipment of the Special Edition.

Reactions: osaka35

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well. many people clearly not reading the post aside and given the nature of it I suppose it makes sense how there handling it. fair enough

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what Nintendo is saying, is if you wanna play this video game, hack your 3DS, and just pirate it online?

When they close down the 3DS and Wii-U purchase ability, they're pretty much encouraging people to hack their consoles and pirate them. It's not like you can buy them online anymore. lol

This is why, I hope the newer Switches get a soft hack eventually. You know in 10 years they're going to do this shit to the Switch also.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That was the Special Edition, and I think it had a pretty limited print run, yeah. I also can't 100% tell if all three are actually on the cartridge. Looks like in Japan two were on there and you got a code to download the third, but in NA all 3 were on the cartridge? I dunno why every region's release of this game is different.
It’s because the Japanese version released a year before the international ones. When it dropped in Japan the third route wasn’t yet released, and therefore couldn’t be on the special edition cartridge.

I have the EU special edition and it does have all three routes on it. Just made sure by throwing the cart into a 3DS that only has my Pokémon games on:

image.jpg

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It’s because the Japanese version released a year before the international ones. When it dropped in Japan the third route wasn’t yet released, and therefore couldn’t be on the special edition cartridge.

I have the EU special edition and it does have all three routes on it. Just made sure by throwing the cart into a 3DS that only has my Pokémon games on:

View attachment 318879
Yeap, I have EU special edition too. 3 path on cart, but dl other dlc from eshop (if you own them)

Yes, it's limited editions. I buy my from hands and it's price was high.
Was it worth? Yes, I got artbook, poster, metal box too (But full game what I needed mos. plus cart and sd save functions :P )

By the way when eshop clothes ppl can't buy stuff , but they can't dl what they own?
I mean wii, ds, psp, ps3, vita still can do it. So how it would be?
All digital content that ppl own would lostr?

Last edited by k7ra,
Reactions: Scarlet

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why even remove it if they're closing the eShop anyway. There has to be a reason. Honestly, it was a shit idea to even separate the routes in the first place. It should've been part of the base game. But no, they just wanted to squeeze as much money out of people as possible. Surprised they didn't do this shit with Three Houses.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't that make literally all eshop games unavailable, why focus on a single game, and remove it early? 🤨

[Edit] okay just read again, now I guess there's a point, but that's a very dumb choice for sure.
They pretty much induced this to themselves at this point.

I wonder why they simply don't just make a promotion and release it all-in-one for a lower price instead.
That would at least give a bit of a tentative to save themselves that... peculiar situation.

Reactions: Maximumbeans

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol