Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see how they can be one thing about not the other. That like saying it smart that they took a shower, but if they didn't then
they may be smelly , but that doesn't automatically may it a stupid move. Idk how to get my point across and maybe that was a bad
reversal, but all I'm saying if it can work one way it may work the other way as well.

Err... enough off-topic

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't see how they can be one thing about not the other. That like saying it smart that they took a shower, but if they didn't then
they may be smelly , but that doesn't automatically may it a stupid move. Idk how to get my point across and maybe that was a bad
reversal, but all I'm saying if it can work one way it may work the other way as well.

Err... enough off-topic

Everything isn't digital you know. Things aren't either black or white, or on and off. Things aren't either smart or stupid, they can be neither of those things.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My monitor is black.
My mouse, keyboard, speakers and mouse are black.
My PC case is black.
My television (directly next to the PC case) is black.
My heart is black...damnit...I thought I had UT3 out of my system.

Guess which color I'm going for when I get one? :P

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
You know what?...i want more colors now. :lol:

These should be the new launch colors: Aqua Blue, Neon Red, Midnight Violet, and of course..that Spicy Orange ^_^
Including black/white. But i got bored of these same colors. the PS and Xbox will have the same colors too.
I know that colors shouldn't matter but it just makes it look more...happier!

Still, i will go with Black just because im tired of White.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's about time for a troll to ruin this poll...but on topic, I think it is great that there will be more than one color available at launch. I love getting to choose what color console I want :P.

I've just "ruined" it but here is my logic:

I was given the options "Hell Yeah!!!" and "Hell No!!!" as a response to the question "Do you think this was a smart move by Nintendo?"

Well.. no.. I don't. I think it was a really obvious decision. I think it'd be a really stupid move if they hadn't done that. So very much, no, it was the right move, but it was a no brainer. "Hell Yeah!!!"? Really? You think it merits that big an outcry, something that they started doing with the N64?
I think it is more so a "Hell Yeah!!!" because the Wii was only released in white at launch. Other colors came later in the cycle. The Wii and the DS lite were the only two consoles, if I recall correctly, that were only released in one color, so having 2 is a step ahead of those two...though I agree that having multiple colors is a no brainer.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
First, my point was that stupid/smart is analogue, not digital.
I thought your point was that there's a whole spectrum of possible values of "smart" between the two extremes. Wasn't it?

Smart/stupid is not a discrete thing, it's a completely superfluous concept that can take practically infinitely many states, not a specific group like "stupid", "normal", "smart".
And since there's an infinite amount of numbers, you can assign a numeric value to every value of "smart". Specific groups are there for the sake of simplicity but you can get as accurate as you want, you won't run out of numbers.

You can be "very smart" or "very stupid". In a digital signal from 1 to 5 you can't be "very 3" or "very 5", it's 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
And if you rate an idea on a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being "very stupid" and 5 being "very smart", you can have 1, "very stupid", 5, "very smart", or 2, 3 or 4. Or you could have a scale of 1 to 100 and have 98 levels in between. Or you could go even higher, but since the distinction between levels of stupidity is pretty subjective and vague past, say, 15 distinct levels or so, that would be overkill.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
First, my point was that stupid/smart is analogue, not digital.
I thought your point was that there's a whole spectrum of possible values of "smart" between the two extremes. Wasn't it?

You just essentially paraphrased the line you quoted.

Smart/stupid is not a discrete thing, it's a completely superfluous concept that can take practically infinitely many states, not a specific group like "stupid", "normal", "smart".
And since there's an infinite amount of numbers, you can assign a numeric value to every value of "smart". Specific groups are there for the sake of simplicity but you can get as accurate as you want, you won't run out of numbers.

You can be "very smart" or "very stupid". In a digital signal from 1 to 5 you can't be "very 3" or "very 5", it's 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
And if you rate an idea on a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being "very stupid" and 5 being "very smart", you can have 1, "very stupid", 5, "very smart", or 2, 3 or 4. Or you could have a scale of 1 to 100 and have 98 levels in between. Or you could go even higher, but since the distinction between levels of stupidity is pretty subjective and vague past, say, 15 distinct levels or so, that would be overkill.

And if you split things up continuously like you say, they become analogue, not digital. You're essentially arguing that all analogue signals are digital, because technically they're made up of and infinite number of infinitesimally small values, each one of which could be given a digital state, and since anything humans measure has a level of precision, that "infinitesimally small" difference is actually a discrete difference, so every single thing we ever measure as analogue is digital according to your reasoning.

If it's subjective and based on human opinion then it can take any state any human could possibly envision it at, and there are practically infinite permutations of human brains. If one were to rank every idea that could ever occur in terms of how smart they are, you would have an infinite number of ideas, so an infinite number of ranks, so that's analogue. 15 is overkill? You really think you can't come up with a list of 16 ideas where each one is more or less "smart" than the ideas around it? If any idea is more smart than another idea and less smart than another idea, then it logically occupies a different state of smartness. You're just trying to convert something analogue to digital by saying "Any idea lying between the first and second deciles of smartness is essentially the same level of smartness, and occupies the second lowest state of smartness".

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More gloss black shit. Looks awesome... for a week. It's why both Microsoft & Sony changed to matte only for the 360/PS3. If I ever get a WIi-U I'll wait until there is some sort of protective covering for at least the controllers.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You just essentially paraphrased the line you quoted.
Since bith analog and digital can have an entire spectrum of values between two extremes, no, I didn't.

And if you split things up continuously like you say, they become analogue, not digital.
You mean" continuous, not discrete."

You're essentially arguing that all analogue signals are digital
No, I'm not.

since anything humans measure has a level of precision, that "infinitesimally small" difference is actually a discrete difference
No, I'm talking theoretical limits to what can be represented in a digital format. Things like noise in measurement or imprecise instrumentation are practical limitations that can be rectified with better measuring processes/equipment. The point is, there is enough numbers to describe any point in the continuous spectrum of possible values. It's not necessarily practical but mathematically speaking, it's possible.

every single thing we ever measure as analogue is digital according to your reasoning.
No. Digital means it's represented by numbers (or symbols). Analog is not digital.

If one were to rank every idea that could ever occur in terms of how smart they are, you would have an infinite number of ideas, so an infinite number of ranks, so that's analogue.
Continuous.

15 is overkill?
No, higher than 100 is overkill. Read it again.

You really think you can't come up with a list of 16 ideas where each one is more or less "smart" than the ideas around it?
No. See above.

You're just trying to convert something analogue to digital by saying "Any idea lying between the first and second deciles of smartness is essentially the same level of smartness, and occupies the second lowest state of smartness".
No. I'm saying that you could express any level of smartness with a number if you wanted to, because there's an infinite amount of numbers so every possible level of smartness could be assigned a numerical value if you were thus inclined. Which means there's no need for the quantization you described.

On an unrelated note, I'm saying the measurement of smartness includes too much noise (subjectivity) to allow for high precision. Again, that's unrelated.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
No. I'm saying that you could express any level of smartness with a number if you wanted to, because there's an infinite amount of numbers so every possible level of smartness could be assigned a numerical value if you were thus inclined. Which means there's no need for the quantization you described.

.. So, again, you're splitting something continuous into infinite discrete values. That's not digital. That's analogue.

"An analog or analogue signal is any continuous signal for which the time varying feature (variable) of the signal is a representation of some other time varying quantity, i.e., analogous to another time varying signal. It differs from a digital signal in terms of small fluctuations in the signal which are meaningful."

On an unrelated note, I'm saying the measurement of smartness includes too much noise (subjectivity) to allow for high precision. Again, that's unrelated.

And.. again.. digital signal doesn't have any noise or subjectivity. Each state is either true or false. Analogue signal has noise. That's exactly my point, so it is entirely related. The very fact that the measurement of smartness has "too much noise", or any noise at all shows that it can't be digital unless you split it up into infinite infinitesimally small values, essentially turning it into a continuous distribution, which is the defining characteristic of an analogue signal. That's literally the factor that differentiates it from a digital signal, the only thing that defines it as analogue, and you're still trying to act like it's digital. Which leads me to three possible conclusions:

A. You're a huge troll and I've fallen for it and I'm making an idiot of myself here even arguing against someone who's purposely acting stupid to get a response out of me.
B. You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about and you're too stubborn to take on a view point that opposes the one you've started arguing.
C. You have so much pride that you're trying to save face by clutching at straws and making any possible link to show a semblance of truth in a long argument you've got into.

Either way I recommend you let it die at this point, noone else cares and it's really not worth any of my time. You're not going to make any new points at this point; your last reply was essentially a culmination of a repeat of your previous argument and confirming exactly what I already dismissed as wrong in my last post. I assume your next point will be something like "You're making an ad hominem fallacy by attacking me instead of countering my argument, you've brought nothing new to the table", or failing to justify once again what you've already failed to justify, and sure, it's fallacious to poison the well, but I'm past the point of caring. I already made my point and you refused to listen to reason by stubbornly describing what is clearly the only thing that defines something as analogue: its continuous nature, as digital for the sake of trying to win the argument, so I no longer have any need to continue the discussion; I've already logically countered everything you had to say; ad hominem is the only thing left to do if you disagree.

So tl;dr version, I can't be arsed anymore, have fun arguing with yourself if you don't want to listen to anything I've rebutted.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And.. again.. digital signal doesn't have any noise or subjectivity. Each state is either true or false. Analogue signal has noise. That's exactly my point, so it is entirely related.
I didn't say the digital signal had noise. The digital signal, the end result itself, doesn't have any noise. I said the methods of gauging the smartness are imprecise and introduce random inaccuracies. If you had a better measuring method you wouldn't have any input/processing noise. It is a practical limitation. Mathematically, there are no limitations. That's why the whole "judging how smart a particular idea is is highly subjective" thing is just a side comment and unrelated to the rest of the post. No need to cling onto it.

That's literally the factor that differentiates it from a digital signal, the only thing that defines it as analogue [...] the only thing that defines something as analogue: its continuous nature
You yourself quoted the definition of analog as "a representation of some other time varying quantity, i.e., analogous to another time varying signal." Analog means representing another value with an analogous value (for example position of a pointer on a scale, level of water in a pool, a stick marked at the analogous length, etc.), whereas digital means representing it with a number. That is, literally, the factor that differentiates the two. This distinction is especially important when you have a constant value.

I assume your next point will be something like "You're making an ad hominem fallacy by attacking me instead of countering my argument, you've brought nothing new to the table", or failing to justify once again what you've already failed to justify, and sure, it's fallacious to poison the well
And I have a few other logical fallacies to point out, like strawman argument, moving the goalposts, and obfuscating the issue. I don't have to "justify" claims you made and attributed to me (either because you lack reading comprehension, you're trying to change the subject, or because you have no idea what you're talking about (the three are not mutually exclusive)), it is your job to refute the points I actually made. And you haven't. You keep arguing tangents.

"You're saying analog is digital."
I'm not.
"You're saying discrete is continuous."
I'm not.
"You're saying continuous is discrete."
I'm not.
"You're saying there's only a finite number of values of smartness."
I'm not. I never said any of those things.

My claims are:
  • Digital does not mean binary.
  • Any value from a continuous spectrum can be represented numerically (digitally) with no loss of information.
And you didn't refute either.

Enough. Let's dispense with the irrelevant rubble you introduced into the discussion in a fruitless attempt to hide the actual argument, and get to the point.

Everything isn't digital you know. Things aren't either black or white, or on and off.
You mean "binary."

The point you were trying to make here is that it can have more than two values, and you used "digital" because you thought digital meant "has only two possible values":

a digital signal is one which either has zero or maximum amplitude at every point.
And that's wrong.

And then you spent the rest of the conversation pretending you meant something else. So by all means, keep squirming. Fact is your choice of words was based on a complete misunderstanding of the term (as you demonstrated), and you refuse to admit it. And I don't expect you to admit it, either, just stop accusing others of pride and/or ignorance, it makes you look like a hypocrite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I went to a garage sell last saturday, and the lady had a PS2 for sale, but she had a sign on it...