Hacking Finally getting a PSP - could really use some advice.

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koimayeul said:
Take a chill pill guys plus this forum is mainly used by pirates, who will argue this is FACT

Point is are you a PIRATE or a THIEF!? http://gbatemp.net/t303759-piracy

In short if you can easily afford buying your stuff but still pirate the shit out of it, basically you are a damn thief
I agree with that point of view, basic sure but it pretty much sum things up about where one stand in the food chain of gaming industry

Now to try and help with your questions

1) No noticeable difference signed or not for CFW things will run the same either way

2) No noticeable difference if you run PSN from OFW or CFW

3) Yes, and psp games/minis go in ISO folder - note that psoneclassics and eboot of ps1 games go to PSP/GAME/ as well

4) Yes, this specific folder is named "seplugin" and must be located at the root of the memory stick. Usually when you download a plugin it comes within this folder and you just copy/paste content and lines of the .txt file. Also about Popsloader you can find pre-build packages for the latest 6.xx release of it but, it won't help for anything unless you want to play really obscure PS1 custom eboot and anyway the more compatible versions of POPS firmware are simply not working for most PSP models (cough 4.01 i miss you)

You'r welcome to ask anything and nothing to be sorry for, enjoy your PSP fellow temper ^^

Yeah, I didn't mean for things to get so heated around here; gotta love the internet lol. Honestly, if I had the money, I'd definitely go legit whenever I could. I'd probably only use the hacks for PSX and other emulator stuff.

Thanks for all the answers
smile.gif
. I almost had another question about using the PSN with the 6.20 firmware since it was trying to force me to update, but then I realized I was still in OFW mode hehe. After switching back, it let me on. Looks like they're down for maintenance now though, unfortunately. I guess Phantasy Star Portable 2 will have to wait.

It's really amazing to see what the CFW itself is capable of. I originally figured there would be quite a few limitations in using it over the OFW, but so far, it's ran everything flawlessly. Even the PS1 game that I just downloaded and converted seems to work without a hitch (Persona - one of my favs).

I did actually have another question if that's cool - So far, I don't really see much reason to use the OFW at all since the CFW is working so well, but will switching to the OFW be required when I buy and download the legit copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2? I'm only asking because it has online play, and I wasn't sure if it was safe to play it online while in CFW mode.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Thanks also for the info about POPSloader. I'll probably just hold off on it for now since I haven't had any huge compatibility issues so far.

Edit 2: Bah, just remembered something else I needed to ask about - how do you go about playing multi-disc PSX games? I've read a few people mention combining all the discs into 1, but I wasn't sure how well that worked out (or which program they used to do it). I'd be cool with just using them separately like back in the old days, but I've also read that it can cause complications if the disc change comes at an awkward time. Either method is fine with me, just as long as it works
tongue.gif

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything conserning psx including multi-disks is in the sticky on the top of this board... It helps with creating multi-disks, what program to use and how to go about how to make sure it works...

On the POPs side of things, i always figure its better to have it sitting there doing nothing then not having it at all.. I did the latter and swore at chrono cross when it froze.. I installed pops and most of my games now are PSX! XD

Last thing... Signed games have to be a maximum of a certain size due to the exploit.. This means alot of stuff will be ripped to shrink the size. I was not happy to play Phantasy Star Portable 2 or Crisis Core without vids and they were both signed.. Since then i have ripped my own UMDs to ISO and yet to face a problem

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
realveemon said:
Last thing... Signed games have to be a maximum of a certain size due to the exploit.. This means alot of stuff will be ripped to shrink the size. I was not happy to play Phantasy Star Portable 2 or Crisis Core without vids and they were both signed.. Since then i have ripped my own UMDs to ISO and yet to face a problem

Not entirely true. FakeNP v9 can be used to sign games up to the maximum size you own, though in most cases it's not an option for people.

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
realveemon said:

Not entirely true. FakeNP v9 can be used to sign games up to the maximum size you own, though in most cases it's not an option for people.

Didn't know that... I figured that there was a few exploits but the biggest was 800mb or something... Gotta test this...

What about UMDs? can i sign those by themselves? If not then im stuck with 1.2gb... Damm you dissidia!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Alacres said:
1. You said that you don't need signed versions of things when using CFW, but if you have the option, would it be better in the long run to get the signed games? Wouldn't they typically be the more compatible version since they're playable on OFW? On the site that I use, it seems like most of the PSP games are "signed", so I'll probably be playing many of them on the OFW.No. Signed stuff is VERY recent (like, only happened in the past few months), and not everything can be signed, and many games are modified from the original rips in order to be signed, blah blah blah. A lot of sites have a lot of signed PSP games because a lot of little kids keep updating the PSP even when told not to and losing the hacks. Has nothing to do with compatibility.

Alacres said:
2. I was also wondering what would happen if you got on the PSN network without switching to the OFW first (or is it even possible)? I haven't tried it yet since I figured it might cause some problems. I'm sure I'll remember to switch when I need to, but I was curious about what would happen, nonetheless.PSN currently works.

Alacres said:
3. I think I understand how the homebrew/emulator stuff works but I wanted to make sure - pretty much everything like that is typically installed in PSP/GAME/ folder, right?Yes, including things from PSN (as stated).

Alacres said:
4. The last thing was about the POPsloader plugin. Don't we need to create a special folder to use for plugins and stuff like that? I think I saw some info about it in a post earlier but I can't seem to find it again./seplugins/ in the root of your memory stick, that's where plugins go.

Alacres said:
It's really amazing to see what the CFW itself is capable of. I originally figured there would be quite a few limitations in using it over the OFW, but so far, it's ran everything flawlessly.
CFW is capable of much more than OFW, which is why people get a bit testy towards those who only see it as a method of piracy...

Hell, OFW allows people on the PSP Go to play games that they can't at all on OFW, due to many games (including the Kingdom Hearts one) not having a digital release, so they can't work on an OFW Go since it lacks a UMD drive. And that's not to mention the youtube viewing and PDA crap and all the other homebrew adding additional functionality to the PSP.

QUOTE(Alacres @ Aug 6 2011, 04:31 AM)
I did actually have another question if that's cool - So far, I don't really see much reason to use the OFW at all since the CFW is working so well, but will switching to the OFW be required when I buy and download the legit copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2? I'm only asking because it has online play, and I wasn't sure if it was safe to play it online while in CFW mode.
From what I've seen it should actually work fine. I was dubious at first, but the PRO firmwares seem to have proper PSN compatibility, including activation and all that jazz.

QUOTE(Alacres @ Aug 6 2011, 04:31 AM)
Edit 2: Bah, just remembered something else I needed to ask about - how do you go about playing multi-disc PSX games? I've read a few people mention combining all the discs into 1, but I wasn't sure how well that worked out (or which program they used to do it). I'd be cool with just using them separately like back in the old days, but I've also read that it can cause complications if the disc change comes at an awkward time. Either method is fine with me, just as long as it works
tongue.gif
When in a PSX game the home menu changes, and there's an option to swap discs for multi-disc eboots. For when you have multiple eboots (one per disc), you simply save your game at the end of one, and then start up the other and load your game (it's how the PSX did it originally).

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton everyone, especially for the above post Rydian - I think I've finally got a full grasp on all this stuff.

I also wanted to apologize if I gave the wrong impression in the thread earlier. Looking back on the "I don't plan on buying any game..." comment, I can see how bad it sounds, not to mention tactless. Honestly though, I only said that because I'm normally broke lol. I understand of course that the developers need our financial support, and I'll be sure to do what I can when I can. No hard feelings around here I hope.

Thanks again for the info and patience everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...