PSP 2000 Wobbly Nub

ChefVortivask

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I didn't find much information about this online, so I figured I'd ask here. Right now I have a friend's PSP 2000 which I'm in the process of unbricking using BaryonSweeper. I opened up the system and did cleaning and I noticed after the cleaning just how wobbly the nub (not sure if there's a better name) is. It can tilt to the point that it touches the face of the console, as evidenced by the scuffs around the nub. It can also be pulled up slightly. I compared this to my PSP 3000 since I thought it was odd, and my 3000's nub is fairly tight and doesn't exhibit those characteristics. I've attached a couple of pictures to better show what I'm talking about.

Is this something that is normal with 2000s, or is something wrong that can be fixed?

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    903.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

ChefVortivask

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think the 3000 is how it's supposed to be since it's not rubbing against the face and causing scuffs. It's possible that's how the 1000s and 2000s were designed and it got "fixed" with the 3000s, but that would be a pretty big design overlook.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Replace just the stick or the entire module?
The stick part itself isn't the fault, rather its the module that needs replacing. Its hard to find OEM parts anymore, so you're stuck with AliExpress.

ChefVortivask

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea on what exactly happens? Does the stick itself in the module (not the nub/thumbstick) wear out over time and become loose? I would guess it's possible that the plastic might grind away over time, thus causing a loose fit.

reha

Long Live the Machine
Trophies
Website
reha.zc.al
XP
Country
Turkey
I would guess it's possible that the plastic might grind away over time, thus causing a loose fit.
That's probably the reason, though I've had a Radiant Red PSP 3000 having the same issue (2000 and 3000 have the exact same joystick cap). Some 3000s really have crappy plastic quality. I've also had a 3000 model where the back glossy plastic layer of the PSP just started to fall apart for no reason...

Swapping the joystick cap fixed the issue for me but if you don't have any extra parts laying around getting a new joystick module and replacing it with the old one would be a better choice.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me tell you something because I recently installed an IPS screen in my 1000 and swapped out the top shell with one from ali (looks surprisingly just like the original) along with a proper glass screen. The analogue stick would NOT work properly after re-assembly. Drift. I took it apart and cleaned it properly. I must've re-assembled the psp fifteen times. I bought new replacement joysticks. Didn't do jack shit. I very quickly realized the third party joysticks are different from the originals. I'm not sure about other models but the 1000 so I can't speak to those. The inner hole in the third party joysticks have a slight protrusion or a tiny "ring" around them as well as sharp edges and this is what's causing the joystick to CATCH on the inner circle EDGE when you move it around. That's why they're flawed. You can sort of fix some of it by taking something sharp and VERY carefully scrape away the sharp edge on the innner circle so that the joystick part doesn't catch it and instead will glide over it as it should. It's still not perfect and nothing like the original joystick and again I can only speak to the 1000 model but whatever you do, DON'T throw the original in the bin. I made one last attempt. I went on aliexpress and bought both the regular rubber for the joystick as well as another type which is this
https://www.coolspotgaming.co.uk/products/psp-1000-rubber-conductive-pad-for-the-analog-joystick
and by the way I also tried cleaning the surface areas in and around the joystick with alcohol - didn't do anything. But this specific part I'm linking seem to have fixed it. After installing it and testing without screwing the top shell back on it didn't but after I re-assembled it having kind of given up, it just all worked.

I can see from the pictures above the joystick's actually touching the top of the shell. That can only mean the joystick either isn't screwed in properly or it's some new shorter nub? No idea. I will also recommend getting a new top shell and a glass screen because it's crystal clear and there's no matte plastic and I love it. Used B7000 glue like I saw on youtube and it's incredibly strong. No worries at all about the screen giving in.

Oh, I can also see on the top picture the joystick is tilted at an angle. There's a chance it's come loose inside the shell so you're pushing it onto the top shell.

ChefVortivask

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can sort of fix some of it by taking something sharp and VERY carefully scrape away the sharp edge on the innner circle so that the joystick part doesn't catch it and instead will glide over it as it should.
That sounds like flash which in case you don't know is some residual plastic from injection molding. It happens when plastic leaks out the edge of the mold and is not uncommon with aftermarket parts. Usually some processing is needed to clean that up, but even then there's no guarantee it'll be perfect, especially if the mold isn't good.

As for the joystick not being seated properly or screwed in properly, I've read that elsewhere (Reddit if I'm not mistaken) and my only issue with that is that I was the first person to open this PSP (unless someone opened it without causing any damage to the warranty sticker or just put on a new warranty sticker, something which I find unlikely). This is my friend's PSP that has been bricked for years at this point so all those scuffs happened when he was still playing with it, i.e. before I opened it. Since it was loose then and is loose now after I've reassembled it, I believe the issue is with the stick itself rather than the module, so the best fix would be a stick replacement. I'm still trying to unbrick it (hopefully I'll do so tonight), but my friend said just leave it for now.

Reactions: reha

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like flash which in case you don't know is some residual plastic from injection molding. It happens when plastic leaks out the edge of the mold and is not uncommon with aftermarket parts. Usually some processing is needed to clean that up, but even then there's no guarantee it'll be perfect, especially if the mold isn't good.

As for the joystick not being seated properly or screwed in properly, I've read that elsewhere (Reddit if I'm not mistaken) and my only issue with that is that I was the first person to open this PSP (unless someone opened it without causing any damage to the warranty sticker or just put on a new warranty sticker, something which I find unlikely). This is my friend's PSP that has been bricked for years at this point so all those scuffs happened when he was still playing with it, i.e. before I opened it. Since it was loose then and is loose now after I've reassembled it, I believe the issue is with the stick itself rather than the module, so the best fix would be a stick replacement. I'm still trying to unbrick it (hopefully I'll do so tonight), but my friend said just leave it for now.
It's not residual plastic, it's a different shape. There's some added plastic height around the inner circle hole. It looks totally legit and correct but it's different from the original stick. Again I can only speak to the 1000 model and maybe the other models which I know have different joysticks just work but on the 1000 model it seems to me it won't matter how many new replacements you buy. They're different and way worse than the original. I bought five and when I say "worse" I mean so bad I wouldn't even bother using them. I'd rather get a new psp. In any case, good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto