Hacking Few unanswered questions about Geohots CFW.

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Can Sony catch you? I heard if you play emulators, it shows you playing them. If Sony does a check and find you on CFW, they can ban you. What if you get banned? It's not a simple 'change your MAC address and play online again' is it? What's the chance Sony will catch you anyways?

2) Does online work 100%? I'm hearing mixed answers and would like a true answer to this.

3) Should I wait? In all reality, I want a PS3 that can do backups, nothing else, but even this isn't 50%. I'm trying to avoid discussion on this, just a simple wait for more support or no.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
1) Sony has yet to ban anybody for using CFW. They're too wrapped up in their legal crap right now to actually worry about why they went to court in the first place. Nobody knows if using CFW will result in a ban yet, it's just a matter of time until we know for sure.

2) Online works fine. It just doesn't work for people using jailbreak devices such as dongles, as those have been blocked from online access. Anybody saying that using geohot's CFW or anything of the like stopped them from being able to use online is stoopid (no firmware updates or anything that could have blocked the CFW, plus, it's signed to act like official firmware).

3) If you just want to play back-ups, wait. There are no good back-up loaders yet, they are still in preliminary stages with shoddy compatibility as the developers of said back-up loaders get a better idea of how to make them work 100%.

Hope that helps.

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much, still undecided, should I do it? I just would hate the risk of being banned because I need online lol.

So with CFW...can you install PSN games yet or is this unavailable?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
1) Sony can catch you for running any jailbreak/hack at the moment. The console keeps logs, and it is believed they upload these logs to Sony in the bootup sequence (as long as internet is enabled). PSN has nothing to do with that process.

2) I've heard of nothing preventing CFW users from going online. Some people are holding back though, incase Sony decide to use the banhammer. No bans so far though.

3) GeoHot's CFW with kmeaw's CFW applied on top is supposed to have good compatibility with MultiMan, from what I hear. Near enough to jailbreak compatibility.

As for me, I'm waiting a bit longer for a "CFW to rule them all". There are rumours that Sony are going to make their move in the next couple of weeks to try and fix the situation, so I'm interested in seeing how they do before I become among the targets.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's no reason to install geohot over Kmeaw. Kmeaw's already has support for geohot signed PKGs, as well as unsigned 3.41 PKGs[you still need to sign the 3.41 EBOOTs though if they haven't been already].

Just update to 3.55 OFW then 3.55 Kmeaw.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
MultiMan = Multi Manager. It's the most popular backup manager.

As for kmeaw's CFW, I thought the install process was 3.55 OFW -> GeoHot's CFW -> kmeaw's CFW. Something about GeoHot's CFW being needed to enable unsigned homebrew, and kmeaw's CFW just patching a couple things from that.

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! Got it, thanks.

I don't see much use for the backup loader anyways at the moment, plus with school and everything, I don't have time for my PS3. I'll just wait to see what Sony has up their sleeves
smile.gif

If that serial thing is true, bye bye red box and gamefly lol

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
As for kmeaw's CFW, I thought the install process was 3.55 OFW -> GeoHot's CFW -> kmeaw's CFW. Something about GeoHot's CFW being needed to enable unsigned homebrew, and kmeaw's CFW just patching a couple things from that.
I have Kmeaw's MFW (modified firmware) with Gaia Manager 2.02 and can run backups. The process is to 3.55 OFW -> Kmeaw's MFW (in recovery mode). Geohots firmware is not needed for or after the install.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question. Why is it i installed ofw3.55>Wutangrza cfw>geohot cfw
i still cannot play my copies of GoW 3 or Collection or FF13 or Dante's Inferno or Castlevania LoS....
Some advice and yes i tried from usb and internal hdd. usb tell me cannot play split files and internal just puts me back at ps3 menu.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
kylster said:
i still cannot play my copies of GoW 3 or Collection or FF13 or Dante's Inferno or Castlevania LoS....
Some advice and yes i tried from usb and internal hdd. usb tell me cannot play split files and internal just puts me back at ps3 menu.
Wutangrza wasn't a full fledged CFW, it just enabled peek/poke access which we were waiting on backup managers to be updated for, now with the release of kmeaw's CFW, neither of the other firmwares are needed and backup managers can run fully functional on it.
Go back to 3.55 OFW via recovery menu then go to kmeaw's CFW, install MultiMAN or whatever backup manager you wish, then get gaming!
nayps3.gif

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wutangrza Works also... lv2 patcher must be run and put a game in the drive and load from ps3 menu when you have chosen your game.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
Try using a different manager as I had very little luck with Multiman as well. I use Gaia Manager (now at 2.02). No need to launch the LV2 patcher as it is incorperated into the manager. I can play CoD:BO online with all the f'n cheaters.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried using gaia manager and open manager do i need to back it up again using that particular manager?

I would also like to ask about kmeaw's CFW. Can you install pkg homebrew with just this cfw? cause from what i've read you still need geohots to do so.

ps3/wii like 2 different stories LoL

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
kylster said:
i tried using gaia manager and open manager do i need to back it up again using that particular manager?

I would also like to ask about kmeaw's CFW. Can you install pkg homebrew with just this cfw? cause from what i've read you still need geohots to do so.

ps3/wii like 2 different stories LoL
To run backups straight from internal/external HDD you need kmeaw's firmware, and yes, you can install .pkg's with it.

rsyss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
adding one more question

is there a way to jailbreak a 3.55 ps3 without a dongle and play backup games?

thanx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up