CFW Offline

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering getting a PS3 Slim for CFW but I don't have a home network (needless to say, bans aren't a concern). If I buy a used system that already has HEN, could I simply switch to CFW if I have a flash drive prepared? Maybe HEN's all I need?Or does HEN require an online connection to re-initiate the exploit at each boot? And assume the HDD is required to boot (being used, I won't trust it for my saves. Maybe upgrade it though), but can I play games directly off of a flash drive with CFW / Hen?

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I'm considering getting a PS3 Slim for CFW but I don't have a home network (needless to say, bans aren't a concern). If I buy a used system that already has HEN, could I simply switch to CFW if I have a flash drive prepared? Maybe HEN's all I need?Or does HEN require an online connection to re-initiate the exploit at each boot? And assume the HDD is required to boot (being used, I won't trust it for my saves. Maybe upgrade it though), but can I play games directly off of a flash drive with CFW / Hen?
You need a CFW compatible PS3.

All Ps3 Phat launch models are CFW, and some of the earlier slim models.
All Super Slim are not CFW compatible.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that. If I find a used system that already has HEN, could I then install a compatible CFW from a flash drive without connecting online?

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so HEN may be an option when CFW is not. But assuming it's 20XX or 21XX and compatible with CFW, would HEN not be able to run the CFW? Do I even need CFW if I have HEN?

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By enable, you mean online exploit each time? So I'd rather CFW. I'd assume that the online exploit and HEN both accomplish the same thing: Let you run unsigned code. Can I not then just install the CFW?

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got 2 used PS3 Slims on the way, 1 with HEN and 1 with EvilNat CFW. Didn't think I'd win both, but can't go wrong now.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it's not compatible with CFW, it can only use HEN. Enabling HEN every boot doesn't need internet access. It's just like selecting a menu item.

If it's CFW compatible there's no point installing HEN on it since CFW offers more functions.

I used both because I have 2 Slim's, one only HEN-capable and one compatible with CFW.

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my HEN PS3 (3000) and the CFW (EvilNat FW?) one's on the way. I want to upgrade the HDDs (1TB) and I know it's going to ask for the firmware at 1st bootup. That seems to confirm that the FW is tied to the HDD and not the NAND (at least for HEN), as some have said when replacing a dead HDD.

For the HEN: It's OFW, so I can produce that. I assume HEN's also on the HDD, so I'd lose HEN. But apparently 'HEN cannot be installed without an internet connection' (sarcasm, see comments above). Or can I simply backup and transfer certain files back? If so, would a simple file copy be fine or do I need to use imaging software?

For the CFW: Where would I find the FW file? Would I use the OFW that the CFW identifies as?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol