Hacking Few questions….

MrMrMr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New to this, have managed to get a v1 switch and checked it’s not patched. I have ordered an RCM, and tried to read up best I can, but still have some questions.

1) The Switch is on v14.1.2, should I update it to latest (16.0.2) before starting anything, and the JoyCons?

2) Should I make an account on Switch before starting everything, just make a new user? Have my own on another switch, but this switch will just be offline anyway, so new user is best?

3) what size SD, and is any, eg Amazon Basics, U3 A2 ok to use?

4) Seems to be a lot of guides on here, which is best, simplest to use.

5) If the switch goes flat, do you have to do it all again?

6) it’s an old switch obviously, not sure on battery life, is there a home brew app to say how many cycles like other devices?

7) Can you still play wirelessly against another Switch?

Last edited by MrMrMr,

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New to this, have managed to get a v1 switch and checked it’s not patched. I have ordered an RCM, and tried to read up best I can, but still have some questions.

1) The Switch is on v14.1.2, should I update it to latest (16.0.2) before starting anything, and the JoyCons?

2) Should I make an account on Switch before starting everything, just make a new user? Have my own on another switch, but this switch will just be offline anyway, so new user is best?

3) what size SD, and is any, eg Amazon Basics, U3 A2 ok to use?

4) Seems to be a lot of guides on here, which is best, simplest to use.

5) If the switch goes flat, do you have to do it all again?

6) it’s an old switch obviously, not sure on battery life, is there a home brew app to say how many cycles like other devices?

7) Can you still play wirelessly against another Switch?
1) update everything to latest.
2) don’t link a Nintendo account. Set up the console with user and correct date and time.

3) I’d go with 512GB+ Samsung or sandisk

4) Best guide to follow is https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

5) when the console goes flat you’ll have to charge and enter RCM and push payload to boot your EmuNAND all your data and work is preserved.

6) I believe you can see battery information in Hekate

7) Yes you can use Lan-Play to play online without using Nintendo servers. It requires a client on PC that it will connect to.

Reactions: MrMrMr

MrMrMr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) update everything to latest.
2) don’t link a Nintendo account. Set up the console with user and correct date and time.

3) I’d go with 512GB+ Samsung or sandisk

4) Best guide to follow is https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

5) when the console goes flat you’ll have to charge and enter RCM and push payload to boot your EmuNAND all your data and work is preserved.

6) I believe you can see battery information in Hekate

7) Yes you can use Lan-Play to play online without using Nintendo servers. It requires a client on PC that it will connect to.
Appreciate replies thanks.

Sure I read a while ago that you had to keep on a certain version firmware, but now can get latest, that’s great.

On the SD, how much is used by all the homebrew/flashing?

So if goes flat you have the RCM jig with you, and a PC to redo payload?. So you should only keep it in sleep rather than switch off?

So regarding the account just make a new user and don’t link, and just use that.

Also forgot to ask…
8) Do you have to go to eShop first and get a free game or something beforehand? As say this is going to be an offline Switch.

9) Do game carts still work as well as normal?

wiitendo84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sure I read a while ago that you had to keep on a certain version firmware, but now can get latest, that’s great.

So if goes flat you have the RCM jig with you, and a PC to redo payload?. So you should only keep it in sleep rather than switch off?

So regarding the account just make a new user and don’t link, and just use that.

Also forgot to ask…
8) Do you have to go to eShop first and get a free game or something beforehand? As say this is going to be an offline Switch.

Game carts will work but you may have to mess with the .ini file to get it to work. Just follow that hacking guide that was linked and if you have any issues just message here

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also forgot to ask…

The partition can be as low as 12GB but recommended to use the same amount as the internal so for V1 switch it would be 29FULL like the guide says.
Yes if it goes flat or powered off you’ll have to charge and use the jig to enter RCM and connect to pc or buy a RCMLoader which is handy or if you have a android device you can use the app called rekado.
Don’t link an Nintendo account just set up console with your user and correct date and time. The reason for this is when you create the EmuNAND it will be a complete copy of your SysNAND/ sock OS. Once done with creating the EmuNAND partition feel free to link a Nintendo account on your SysNAND.
You do not need to go into eshop to get a free game.
Game carts will work fine with no issues.

Reactions: MrMrMr

MrMrMr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great so as long as I keep in sleep it’s ok? and still has power, it’ll work all the time.

And to confirm I can update it to latest firmware now, as it’s still on v14.

I’ve ordered a 512Gb so not bothered now, as should be plenty space. Wasn’t sure wether to get a 256 or 512, decided May as well go big!!

For me it’s pretty tricky to follow but I’ll try! Wonder if any good recent video tutorials, as sometimes easier for me to follow? Any recommendations?

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great so as long as I keep in sleep it’s ok? and still has power, it’ll work all the time.

And to confirm I can update it to latest firmware now, as it’s still on v14.

I’ve ordered a 512Gb so not bothered now, as should be plenty space. Wasn’t sure wether to get a 256 or 512, decided May as well go big!!

For me it’s pretty tricky to follow but I’ll try! Wonder if any good recent video tutorials, as sometimes easier for me to follow? Any recommendations?
Yeah, sleep is fine. When it’s powered off or runs flat you’ll have to push payload using jig.

Confirmed, update to latest firmware.

You’ll be happy with 512GB it’s plenty enough.

The guide is straight forward and great for better understanding of how things work. If you don’t feel comfortable, you can download the HATS Pack from Sthetix -Google it-
It’ll have everything you need including ban prevention, along with handy tools to have. One thing that is not included though is the “host” file/folder. It’s not needed but an added measure is nice and it’s in the guide. After downloading and extracting you’ll place that on the root of your SD card. You’ll move ahead in the guide to the partition section, once done with the partition you'll be done. Of course always make sure you back up your NAND you can find how to do that in the rentry guide.

Last edited by linuxares,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, sleep is fine. When it’s powered off or runs flat you’ll have to push payload using jig.

Confirmed, update to latest firmware.

You’ll be happy with 512GB it’s plenty enough.

The guide is straight forward and great for better understanding of how things work. If you don’t feel comfortable, you can download the HATS Pack from Sthetix
It’ll have everything you need including ban prevention, along with handy tools to have. One thing that is not included though is the “host” file/folder. It’s not needed but an added measure is nice and it’s in the guide. After downloading and extracting you’ll place that on the root of your SD card. You’ll move ahead in the guide to the partition section, once done with the partition you'll be done. Of course always make sure you back up your NAND you can find how to do that in the rentry guide.
1) Not with AutoRCM, then you just push a payload.

2) Hats pack is generally not something you should use. It's better to teach yourself how to set up manually first. But I do get why people pick it.

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Not with AutoRCM, then you just push a payload.

2) Hats pack is generally not something you should use. It's better to teach yourself how to set up manually first. But I do get why people pick it.
Personally not a fan of Auto-RCM, totally up to the user though.

Agreed, the guide is informative.

MrMrMr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Followed the guide above with a help video that used that guide as well thanks.

Backed up what it said and copied them to a PC, and left on SD as well?

I can now see the homebrew and have installed RetroArch so far.

Still learning to navigate about a bit though, exiting apps etc.

How do you get to the Hekate menu? Mine seems to boot into a menu that has the homebrew stuff

Also not sure if it’s right or not, but I have to launch with an app that I pre installed by holding down R and tapping the app - YT, and then launch’s the menu with homebrew, file transfer app, RetroArch etc on it.

Also I’ve switched off WiFi for now, as seems to be a lot of conflicting/old stuff about what to do to block updates and connecting to Ninty servers. Can someone tell me the current best way please as I want WiFi on to update RetroArch etc.

Thanks

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can download the HATS Pack from Sthetix -Google it-
A few more things I don't like HATS pack, in addition to missing hosts file:
  • It doesn't have OFW mode, only syscfw
  • It blanks prodinfo on sysmmc with exosphere
An inexperienced user may mess up sysmmc and since prodinfo is blanked on sysmmc you can't play online. Other than that it's a pretty good AIO package, has everything a regular user needs integrated.

How do you get to the Hekate menu? Mine seems to boot into a menu that has the homebrew stuff
Not sure what menu you are talking about, but to go to hekate menu, you simply inject the payload in RCM. Or if you have autoboot set up, press VOL- when hekate logo shows on screen.

To use homebrew in applet mode, you just open the album. Press R and launch a game will launch homebrew menu in full memory mode. You don't need full memory mode for simple homebrews like FTP, file mamger and app store, but many emulators and some other homebrew do need full memory mode to run properly.

To block nintendo servers, just follow the guide to setup exosphere and hosts file.

Last edited by linuxares,

MrMrMr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry totally new to this, so a bit of a blur!?!

I now leave the switch in standby/sleep only so as not to need to be injecting payload.

This is guide followed
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

To use homebrew in applet mode, you just open the album. Press R and launch a game will launch homebrew menu in full memory mode
This is exactly what I do now, and see icons for the stuff (from the above guide), hpappstore, JKAV, FTPD etc. How do I get to hekate menu?

To block nintendo servers, just follow the guide to setup exosphere and hosts file.

So it’s just a case of changing internet setting to manual? Nothing to install etc?

Last edited by MrMrMr,

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why didn´t you use the guide in the first reply?
It´s the best one.

So it’s just a case of changing internet setting to manual? Nothing to install etc?
No, you change hosts file and exosphere ini, read the guide in the first reply.
Do NOT use 90 DNS, it´s not safe!

It´s even the second FAQ article after "Is my Switch hackable?".

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really hate it when AIO packs just do this, this is more likely to cause any problems in the future, then just booting CFW on Sysnand (which is mostly safe, even when going online, as long as you don't install anything).
The prodinfo blanking might end up creating weird logs that then can get send later to nintendo, though we are lucky atmosphere blocks most telemetry from being written.
So I really recomend everyone who uses backups, to only have prodinfo blanking enabled for the offline backup nand, and not for the online nand.

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few more things I don't like HATS pack, in addition to missing hosts file:
  • It doesn't have OFW mode, only syscfw
An inexperienced user may mess up sysmmc and since prodinfo is blanked on sysmmc you can't play online. Other than that it's a pretty good AIO package, has everything a regular user needs integrated.
I believe Sthetix removed it because you can use Hekate to reboot to OFW. I personally don’t play online but if I were to, I’d use OFW. How do you mean mess up Sysmmc?

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The prodinfo blanking might end up creating weird logs that then can get send later to nintendo, though we are lucky atmosphere blocks most telemetry from being written.
So I really recomend everyone who uses backups, to only have prodinfo blanking enabled for the offline backup nand, and not for the online nand.
Interesting, I really hope all communications are blocked to prevent a ban.
Post automatically merged:

Don't link to the HATS pack, they include keys which is a nono.
Sorry

Last edited by Qeality,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Interesting, I really hope all communications are blocked to prevent a ban.
Atmosphere redirects all Telemetry to a loopback address. Nothing ever gets sent by "logs". But they can still see your NSPs installed if you go online with a dirty nand.

It also redirects all creports to the SD Card, so there is no creports on the Switch itself.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you mean mess up Sysmmc?
I've seen it many times before where someone boots switch to syscfw, put it in sleep and forget about it, install an nsp and got banned. Especially inexperienced users with kids. That's why I don't like it when an AIO pack, which primarily used by inexperienced users, add syscfw option.

Don't link to the HATS pack, they include keys which is a nono.
The keys.txt in tinfoil? Tbh I don't even know why he include that, iirc it's only needed for old versions.

Reactions: Qeality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up