Hacking FAT VS WBFS

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheShadowRunner said:
Waiting for rev15 to support FAT, but why not go all the way to FAT32?
FAT32 would support those big games without splitting.
FAT (in this thread) is FAT32 and still only supports files up to 4GB (or 2GB on the wii).

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheShadowRunner said:

They pretty much mean FAT32. No other variation of FAT would be at all good for any kind of usb loading. FAT16 has the 2GB file and partition limitation. And FAT12 has even worse limitations.

That, and FAT32 still has the 4 GB cap on filesize, which is lower than what DVD's and thus Wii games can be. And from what others are saying, it has a 2 GB filesize limit on the wii.

Of course, splitting isn't always bad. As long as you have software support, it's fine.

EnioMarcos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
mousex said:
TheShadowRunner said:
FAT (in this thread) is FAT32 and still only supports files up to 4GB (or 2GB on the wii).

There is a console limitation... So, we need to split game files anyway...

And... Is that true? Will 249rev15 suport FAT?

bosman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
laurozza said:
nash79 said:
In FAT, a 500MB (in WBFS) game would take 4GB right?
No, same size when you convert an ISO into a .wbfs file.

So the way I'm reading this is that we will need an FAT32 manager of some sort or a program to convert the ISO to WBFS before it can be transferred to disc.

Is this correct?

What is the FAT convert program by the way if one exist?

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bosman said:
laurozza said:
nash79 said:
In FAT, a 500MB (in WBFS) game would take 4GB right?
No, same size when you convert an ISO into a .wbfs file.

So the way I'm reading this is that we will need an FAT32 manager of some sort or a program to convert the ISO to WBFS before it can be transferred to disc.

Is this correct?

What is the FAT convert program by the way if one exist?
There's a command line file called WBFS_File 1.5. It's in the Configurable USB Loader thread. It's kind of complicated if you don't know that stuff so luckily if you're on windows you can use Wii Backup Manager.

OOPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question?

Has no one considered doing an ext2/3/4 driver for use with loaders? ext4 is far superior to FAT32 and WBFS and also benefits from heavy mainstream linux development.

Also, windows users can access ext2/3/4 partitons using the ext2ifs driver for windows.

Seems to be made of win to me...

D

Deleted-171178

OOPMan said:
I have a question?

Has no one considered doing an ext2/3/4 driver for use with loaders? ext4 is far superior to FAT32 and WBFS and also benefits from heavy mainstream linux development.

Also, windows users can access ext2/3/4 partitons using the ext2ifs driver for windows.

Seems to be made of win to me...

To my knowledge, currently there is no Ext2/3/4 driver for the wii.

mrbudders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1t.b. external dive that i want to use for avi files and for iso files. I want to be able to access the iso files when connecting to wii. And I want to access the avi files when connected to pc or dvd/usb drive. What do I need to do to accomplish this? Or is it evenn possible?

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TheShadowRunner said:

lol. it does support fat32.

And for dual layer games, it simply splits them. It has no adverse effects on load time.

Honestly, fat32 is a much better solution, as no extra partitioning is needed.

So, you Always have the full space of the drive available to you, instead of 2 limited size partitions.
The games take up no extra room.
You can use the same partition for homebrew as well as usb loading, and whatever else you like (I store movies for my ps3 on the same 1TB drive)
To defragment all you need to do is hook it up to your pc and defragment it with your favorite program to do so just as you would for any hard drive in your computer, as opposed to WBFS which has no defrag program made for it.
.WBFS format games can easily be converted back and forth between .iso and .wbfs

There really is no con to using a fat32 drive aside from some loaders not using the format (all the good ones do) and herme's cios only being usable for it (hermes cIOS is far more stable)

QUOTE(mrbudders @ Dec 11 2009, 03:55 PM) I have a 1t.b. external dive that i want to use for avi files and for iso files. I want to be able to access the iso files when connecting to wii. And I want to access the avi files when connected to pc or dvd/usb drive. What do I need to do to accomplish this? Or is it evenn possible?

Very possible, I use it for the same thing. as long as the movie files are not over 4GB (if they are, use handbrake to convert them to MP4 with little to No quality loss)

mrbudders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very possible, I use it for the same thing. as long as the movie files are not over 4GB (if they are, use handbrake to convert them to MP4 with little to No quality loss)

So how do I split my hd. I am beyond a noob here so all my dumb questions, please excuse

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you don't have to split it.

Just format to FAT32 (you will lose anything on the drive when you do this, so back things up!)

here, this tool will format it for you.

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html

once that is done, use wii backup manager to move your isos to your fat32 drive (it will convert them to .wbfs files automatically)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188295

once that is done, make sure you have hermes cIOS rev4 installed on your wii.

http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-custom-softwar...ios-v4-out.html

Follow the instructions on that page.

then, boot up either usbloader gx or configurable usbloader. (latest version) both should see you fat32 drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative