Hacking [FAQ] Smhax - Should I update?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's why I said "in their early life only" for some consoles.
when you needed a specific firmware (4.0 to 4.5 ONLY to use flashcart, if you updated you were screwed), in end of life the consoles are more likely wide open and you can update them to latest firmware and still can hack them. (wii/wiiu/3DS/DSi)
but some console not in their early releases are still well protected if you update them to latest (Xbox360, PS3, PS4)

so my comment was more focused on hacking methods on new released consoles.

Last edited by Cyan,
D

Deleted User

I udpated Wii U to 5.5.2 and I could load Mocha CFW.
I updated 3DS to 11.5.0 and I could load LumaCFW.
I updated PS3 to 4.81 and I could load CFW Rebug with downgrade with E3 Flasher.

Well, I updated to my Nintendo Switch and I will play to online (Splatoon2, arms etc) until the exploit for my version be released. The no-update maybe is more useful for people that dont have games and want the exploit for play it free without use money.
switch is different however. With each new console for nintendo the security has gotten tighter and tighter

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I updated PS3 to 4.81 and I could load CFW Rebug with downgrade with E3 Flasher.
Whoa, with luck like that, you could probably get a PS vita on 3.65 to run Henkaku

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
Trophies
XP
If you care about hax, do not update.

It's really not possible to stress how big of a bug this is.
I love how everybody is trying to justify updating their consoles ... enjoy your cool splatoon 2 stuff ... I'll be on 2.3.0 still playing zelda and mario kart 8 ...
This is the correct call.

People suggesting to update for games if they want hax will be likely waiting a a much, much longer time.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Updated to play Sonic Mania at launch but I trust Nintendo's security will have some problems either still now or some point down the line. There were quite a few times in the 3DS' life that hax was extremely unlikely on the current firmware.

Reactions: KiiWii

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's very fortunate. This time you may not have that leeway. It's very possible that 3.0.0 won't be a "golden firmware." However, if people update past 3.0.0 they should accept the fact that they may never get homebrew. Also, PS3 is not a good example. It disproves your point if anything. PS3 had a golden firmware. You could downgrade but that comes with significant cost and risk. Additionally it was fortunate that a hardware downgrade was even possible.

D

Deleted User

Nintendo said the same with Nintendo 3DS and the "great" security that it have, and you can see how each day appear new exploit...
and how fast have they patched them? BTW no system is ever safe from being hacked. But my point is we could end up in a situation like the xbox one or 360. Where its impossible to hack it through software means and to actually hack it requires a hardmod. That kind of situation can happen with the switch.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, I updated to my Nintendo Switch and I will play to online (Splatoon2, arms etc) until the exploit for my version be released. The no-update maybe is more useful for people that dont have games and want the exploit for play it free without use money.
The ps3 only had cfw on a lower firmware, but luckily could hardmod downgrade. With the efuse downgrade protection on the switch, you won't get the luxury of updating now and downgrading later when hax come out. Also I've said this about a million times across other threads but I guess I have to say it again:
You can't base one consoles exploitability on a completely different consoles exploits. They all function completely differently. Just because ps3 could be downgraded doesn't mean every console can downgrade in a similar way

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You seem to not understand it's not WHEN will an exploit in current firmware (or a way to get back to exploitable firmware) happens, its IF it happens. We were spoiled by the past Nintendo consoles, but at this point even the devs are saying it's security is far greater with beautiful cryptography

Tsubakiandou

Mystery member
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think the best thing to consider is if the Nintendo switch is
your only gaming device if this is the case maybe updating
for you isn't a bad idea.
(but if you want to play backups of old games on emulators*piracy*
like mario 64 than do not update or wait for Nintendo to roll out there VC)

For me i own several devices with most of the games i never touched
from buying during season events and sales.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
psvita, 3ds LL, PS4, PS3, PC, PS2, SNES,
NVIDIA shield portable,wiiU, and ds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Holding off for me wont be too difficult sure it will suck when games
like Taiko or VN come out for me but by than i will have saved up for
newer model of switch which will come in new colors eventually not
just the joy cons. it also helps i own more than 300k games and i
maybe touched 10% of them or beat that many.

if you own as many or more devices/games as I do than you should
hold off unless you absolutely need splatoon 2, mario, sonic
immediately I reccomend waiting to see how things work for you
but if your unsatisfied with the development of homebrew/emulators
I would update.

If you are looking forward to just piracy, you should
look into the list of games available to you before they require 3.0.1
because that is all you will get for awhile until a spoof can happen
when someone is willing to work on further exploits.

hopefully this cleared up a few questions this was kind of hard to word
but i tried my best to make sense of what i write and I had help clearing up
this info before finalising my post from a friend who is better at english than
I am.

edit: had a friend eidt for me and clean up english

Last edited by Tsubakiandou,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
smhax have already said in an earlier thread they will not be releasing anything anytime soon no matter what so called exploits have been found. so if you want to not update and miss out on a lot of games and possibly VC go ahead. otherwise go buy another switch (if you can find one) and update that instead. those are your only choices.

getting tired of these threads the answers are already out there we do people not READ? :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
So wait for 6-12mths and probably my 3.0 gets a CFW
or wait 5-6yrs because i couldn't be patient to play Sonic Mania (which's multiplat)or Splatoon2 (overrated with bad net code)
your call people,imho there's no Switch game atm worth sacrificing my 3.0 for (but i have 2 Switches so eh)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I love how everybody is trying to justify updating their consoles ... enjoy your cool splatoon 2 stuff ... I'll be on 2.3.0 still playing zelda and mario kart 8 ...

This is the correct call.

People suggesting to update for games if they want hax will be likely waiting a a much, much longer time.
@Cyan this should be on the OP without a doubt XD

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don´t get this SciresM user (who is one of the hakcers) advocating for not updating. It´s clear that another hack will take much longer but he never talks about what benefits may come from this one regarding to running backups (almost all of us are here because of this, dont reply me about "emulating gamecube games" please)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don´t get this SciresM user (who is one of the hakcers) advocating for not updating. It´s clear that another hack will take much longer but he never talks about what benefits may come from this one regarding to running backups (almost all of us are here because of this, dont reply me about "emulating gamecube games" please)
The benefits are explained in the OP, dude.

smhax is the informal name of a vulnerability discovered by multiple hackers on the Nintendo Switch. The bug, when fully exploited, appears to be a privilege escalation which allows the attacker to register and run arbitrary services on the console. Specifically, according to the switchbrew wiki:

"Prior to 3.0.1, the service manager (sm) built-in system module treats a user as though it has full permissions if the user creates a new “sm:” port session but bypasses initialization. This is due to the other sm commands skipping the service ACL check for Pids <= 7 (i.e. all kernel bundled modules) and that skipping the initialization command leaves the Pid field uninitialized. Successful exploitation results in Acquisition, registering, and unregistering of arbitrary services"

In other words, coupled with a userland entry point (typically a webkit vulnerability), this could probably be used to gain full access to the console.

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The benefits are explained in the OP, dude.

Thaks man, the line in bold is really seducing!!.

"this could probably be used to gain full access to the console"

Still, i may update. Just got my switch and i´m diyng to play zelda (seems it forces me to update firmware in order to update the game)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thaks man, the line in bold is really seducing!!.

"this could probably be used to gain full access to the console"

Still, i may update. Just got my switch and i´m diyng to play zelda (seems it forces me to update firmware in order to update the game)
If you are planning on just putting the cartridge and actually downloading the updates.
If that is it, then yeah, you will get 3.0.1 :P

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...