[FAQ] Smhax - Should I update?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Thirty3Three, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Agent McMuffin

Agent McMuffin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Here's the bottom line. As of 9/2/2017, we do not have end-user hax for the Switch.

It is possible, at any moment, for something to be found and/or released.

If you are on the forum asking other people if you should update your Switch, what it really means is that you are at conflict with yourself. Think about whether the wait is truly worth it to you. No one here has a real answer for you.

TheCyberQuake, Tsubakiandou and iAqua like this.

2. DoubleSwitched

DoubleSwitched Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2017
    Japan
    Do it right guys ! :teach:

Step 1) : Upgrade to 3.0.1 :D
    Step 2) : Get a 2nd Switch :yayswitch:
    Step 3) : Resell useless accessories :yay:
    Step 4) : Wait for the hax :grog:
    Step 5) : Enjoy the hax :toot:

(Optionnal) Step 6 ) : Resell the >3.0.1 Switch :mthr:

3. Thelonewolf88

Thelonewolf88 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    Been saying the same for years with other fw based consoles, yet fools don't listen. To ask the question in the first place, speaks for itself.

4. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    Or you know not every one can afford two same consoles

5. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    will be getting my new switch the upcoming week, is it okay to not have a Nintendo ID on it ?
    i guess i will only turn it on and create a user and check system to see if it is on the 'good' fw.

then will just shut it down and to the closet with it >>"

6. cyris69

cyris69 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    See this is my issue, I'm still on 2.0 but can no longer play ANY games. I'd love to pick back on the binding of isaac but sure enough the game has an update and to update I must update my firmware. My switch has been sitting collecting dust pretty much after I put 20 hours into zelda and had the switch on launch. So for those of us who can't buy a secondary switch but also have an expensive paperweight if they stick to whatever prior fw to 3.0.1 we are kinda screwed. There is no workaround for this anymore. I don't even remember connecting back to the internet after it's been sitting so long but it must have. Unless there is a game that would update to a new but not newest fw and solve the issue I'm kind of at a loss.

7. Kilim

Kilim Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    if you're going to update at least update for console exclusives that you can't get anywhere else, binding of isaac is on so many other platforms that it's not even worth it

think of it like this: if you update you're letting nintendo "win"

8. Thelonewolf88

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    Get a job that allows extras.

9. ken28

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    how about you go out in the real world to learn that the world doesnt work like that?

10. Thelonewolf88

Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    Been in the real world for a long time pal. Anything is achievable if you put work and time into it, so quit of being salty in a forum whining over nothing.

Tsubakiandou and mech like this.
  11. ken28

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    like i said, if it worked for you then fine but this isnt the norm, no matter how much work and time you invest.

12. macia10

macia10 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2012
    Poland
    Anyone knows if with this I will be able to copy ma saves off the console and back again? I'd really love to backup my zelda saves.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

13. ken28

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    seemingly it does allows for the backup of savefiles.

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    We know for a fact devs copied saves, modified them, and then moved them back

15. macia10

macia10 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2012
    Poland
    Hope they will release something for that soon :) I don't care for anything else.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

16. Kilim

Kilim Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    dunno if anyone knows the answer to this but ill ask

if we assume, as it was stated in the past, that the switch shares similarities between the 3ds code base, how would this work for CFW going forward? would it function similar to Luma and retain the "hack" and allow for system updates just like the 3ds? or is that in an entirely different category.

normally i wouldn't be asking this but with the amount of similarities between the two consoles it's a legitimate claim imo

also being able to update the switch when the games you actually want come out would be great

17. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    The Vita is already an excellent portable emulator heaven with vastly superior D-pad/controls than the Switch. I don't see the point in crippling a new console for months (maybe over a year until actual homebrew?) just in case a newer exploit is never found. It won't be the end of the world if you miss out on yet another version of RetroArch. Just enjoy your console and deal with it when something actually gets released. Life's too short.

18. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Why do people think emulation is the only thing homebrew brings?

Frysenberg likes this.
  19. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    to those who said "maybe it'S like ps3 and all possible hacks ever will be on low firmware"
    From what I understood, there's almost no community in sony/microsoft console hacking
    on the other hand, nintendo console hacking community is pretty big, so there are more developer running the task of finding exploit, and then more chance of finding one

20. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada