[FAKE] Miyamoto stepping down from big projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
gallery_262855_65_15735.jpg

Legendary Nintendo game designer Shigeru Miyamoto just gave an interview with Wired in which he revealed he is stepping away from from his role of supervising major projects such as Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword to working on smaller projects within the company, even ones where he works alone.

It's almost like he wants to be a homebrew dev. :P
Pretty shocking news -- thoughts, people?

EDIT: Please read the article people. He's not retiring or being demoted. Gosh. :ha:

Source

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
inb4 people don't read past "stepping down"
inb4 people say "it's a faux he's going to fully step down soon enough"
also inb4 responses to the above two stating "well he's old"

Anyways does anybody have any sort of guesses what he'll be working on now? Maybe a new IP?

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Anyways does anybody have any sort of guesses what he'll be working on now? Maybe a new IP?
maybe a new grahpis system for the wii that makes it look better then the new ghraips engine by sony and microsoft

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, although it's a little disappointing that he won't be working on games like Zelda I am looking forward to some new intellectual properties that he will create. Just about every franchise he has ever created has been successful so this might be a good thing.

Reactions: 2 people

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”
Well, we have a quality dev here. He's pretty old, but that's not stopping him. :D I really don't mind if it's a small project, as long as it come from this guy.

Reactions: 1 person

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_262855_65_15735.jpg

Legendary Nintendo game designer Shigeru Miyamoto just gave an interview with Wired in which he revealed he is stepping away from from his role of supervising major projects such as Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword to working on smaller projects within the company, even ones where he works alone.

It's almost like he wants to be a homebrew dev. :P
Pretty shocking news -- thoughts, people?

Source

As you age, you lose your sense of what is "cool" at the moment, but not for recognizing true,timeless beauty. So, you've got Miyamoto trying to steer games in certain directions, and he's surrounded by a bunch of young go-getters who increasingly are seeing him less as the great genius, and more as an old man who doesn't understand what 'today's gamers" really want. Eventually, he gets tired of the whispers behind his back, of being outvoted behind his back, and of being held up as a token of the company's greatness without actually having a hand in it anymore .... and he says, "fuck it, I'll go make my own shit, and it either makes it or it doesn't".

I'm just guessing, but since I'm 44 it's a more educated guess than the rest of you can make. Maybe he just wants more time to go to strip clubs?

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

maybe a new grahpis system for the wii that makes it look better then the new ghraips engine by sony and microsoft
You'd need a whole new console for that.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this will be a good thing? Sometimes it felt like he was holding back some of the games, i mean, he DOES make masterpieces. But at the same time, times have changed many things.

Not saying i dont like him or anything (Before someone takes this the wrong way and goes apeshit on me). I remember the golden days of Nintendo, and it seems like they need some major revitaliation lately

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He probably has minimal impact on the current games anyway. Long gone are the days where video games can be made by just one or two people, but he probably wants to do just that again.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Long gone are the days where video games can be made by just one or two people, but he probably wants to do just that again.
Cave Story, Terraria, Minecraft?

Though of course after those got really popular the dev teams increased in size...

And then there's all the games you can find on steam and other such services, VVVVVV comes to mind.

If you're talking about retail console shit then yeah, I'd agree, even if an indie or small team game gets to that point, it needs more devs to pull that section off.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
He seems capable enough. Taking smaller projects will allow more time, which allows more creativity, which makes better games. Moreover, he's not getting any younger so stepping down but continuing to work is very smart. It shows Miyamoto's love for video game developing in general. I salute you, Miyamoto.

Reactions: 4 people

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sad news, but there are a lot of brilliant people out there.On the other hand, I grew playing value videogames Nintendo offered, which most of them were designed/lead by Miyamoto.

What else can I say... I'll miss you man u_u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My ping times even lol