Homebrew f*ck....

Jarrad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought if you were running an emunand with cfw then you could update to the latest firmware (whilst in emunand) when it prompts you to and you'd still have the 9.2 firmware on your sysnand and the latest on your emunand?

I've just done that and it think it's completely removed all of my hacks..

Have I just f*cked myself over?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One should only update emuNAND from the System Settings, and one should be very careful to make sure he or she is actually on emuNAND when doing so. If you updated your sysNAND to 11.0, then it is currently impossible for you to use CFW without installing a hardmod and downgrading back to 9.2. Are you sure your hacks have been removed? What was your CFW? You might have been using one incompatible with emuNAND 11.0. Try booting your 3DS without your SD card and check your sysNAND version.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I thought if you were running an emunand with cfw then you could update to the latest firmware (whilst in emunand) when it prompts you to and you'd still have the 9.2 firmware on your sysnand and the latest on your emunand?

Yup, you're fucked.
You should NOT update by clicking on the update prompt. The only safe way to update is to go through system settings > other settings > update.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if you updated through emunand then you're fine.
if you updated your sysnand, sorry to say, but you're shit out of luck..

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, it looks like you didn't format sysNAND before updating to unlink the NANDs. If you made a NAND backup like you were supposed to you can get a hardmod and flash it to your sysNAND. If not, you can hardmod anyway and to the hardmod workaround for downgrading on 11.0. Basically your only option is to get a hardmod, so either shell out the UK equivalent of $50+ USD to @gamesquest1 or DIY.

Jarrad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
One should only update emuNAND from the System Settings, and one should be very careful to make sure he or she is actually on emuNAND when doing so. If you updated your sysNAND to 11.0, then it is currently impossible for you to use CFW without installing a hardmod and downgrading back to 9.2. Are you sure your hacks have been removed? What was your CFW? You might have been using one incompatible with emuNAND 11.0. Try booting your 3DS without your SD card and check your sysNAND version.

Just tried and it's fully updated.. f*ck my life...

I'm 100% certain that it was on emuNAND since I have menuhax installed on my sysNAND so it wouldn't have prompted me to update since I rarely see the actual sysNAND home menu.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you updated through emunand then you're fine.
if you updated your sysnand, sorry to say, but you're shit out of luck..
Only if you update through System Settings, while in EmuNAND. Using the prompt, you'll update your SysNAND.

I'm 100% certain that it was on emuNAND since I have menuhax installed on my sysNAND so it wouldn't have prompted me to update since I rarely see the actual sysNAND home menu.
Again, if you did use the prompt, you are out of luck, you'll need to get a hardmod.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As was already mentioned, if you update through an update prompt and not through the System Settings, you risk updating your sysNAND. As was also already mentioned, you should have unlinked your NANDs.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if you update through System Settings, while in EmuNAND. Using the prompt, you'll update your SysNAND.

Again, if you did use the prompt, you are out of luck, you'll need to get a hardmod.
really? luckily i never did that before and i've got arm9 now
lol i probably would've made the same mistake due to sheer ignorance..

Jarrad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As was already mentioned, if you update through an update prompt and not through the System Settings, you risk updating your sysNAND. As was also already mentioned, you should have unlinked your NANDs.

Ah, I've literally never seen anything about this.

Darn. Oh well, it took me like a week to figure out how to do all this stuff anyway. I've always felt like I was treading on extremely thin ice lol.

Thanks for the feedback to those that've replied.

(I do have a backup but I don't have any idea how to restore it. Guessing that paying some member of the community $50 is the only way).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it should still update emunand from the prompt aslong as your certain your in emunand, i know some people in the past have just skipped setting up emunand entirely and assumes CFW = emunand

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it should still update emunand from the prompt aslong as your certain your in emunand, i know some people in the past have just skipped setting up emunand entirely and assumes CFW = emunand
Even if you're sure you're in emuNAND, updating from the update prompt has the potential to update your sysNAND.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Even if you're sure you're in emuNAND, updating from the update prompt has the potential to update your sysNAND.
the only potential is that if your not in emunand, if you are certain that your in emunand it would only update emunand....atleast in every cfw i know of, the risks only come from users who didnt actually setup emunand or specifically booted into sysnand rather than emunand

or entered system settings to check the version string then got kicked back to sysnand by exiting system setting.....so yeah best practice is to always head into system settings, im just saying that if he was in emunand when he updated it would only have updated emunand......so he must have either been kicked out by system settings, not setup emunand or made a mistake and forgot to boot into his cfw

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only potential is that if your not in emunand, if you are certain that your in emunand it would only update emunand....atleast in every cfw i know of, the risks only come fro users who didnt actually setup emunand or specifically booted into sysnand rather than emunand
You are mistaken. Under certain conditions, updating through the update prompt while in emuNAND will update one's sysNAND. One should only update emuNAND from the System Settings.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only potential is that if your not in emunand, if you are certain that your in emunand it would only update emunand....atleast in every cfw i know of, the risks only come from users who didnt actually setup emunand or specifically booted into sysnand rather than emunand

or entered system settings to check the version string then got kicked back to sysnand by exiting system setting.....so yeah best practice is to always head into system settings, im just saying that if he was in emunand when he updated it would only have updated emunand......so he must have either been kicked out by system settings, not setup emunand or made a mistake and forgot to boot into his cfw
I must agree. My children who do not like to follow all directions all of the time have updated via this prompt. Luckily it was on emuNAND, and only it updated. This has happened 3 times over. If the potential is there, it is very slight.

Last edited by hundshamer,
Reactions: gamesquest1

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're gathered here today to mourn the loss of another MenuHax peasant's modded 3DS... if only he hand the foresight to become a member of the Arm9LoaderHax Clan... he wouldn't have...

Alright I can't keep that joke going any longer. On a serious note, this is why you should use A9LH and CFW SysNAND with FIRM Protection.
Never have to worry about updates killing your stuff. ¯\(º_o)/¯

Sorry for your loss, hopefully there will be a way in the future to software downgrade from 11.0.
I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in next couple of months, to be honest.

Reactions: retrofan_k

Jarrad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
We're gathered here today to mourn the loss of another MenuHax peasant's modded 3DS... if only he hand the foresight to become a member of the Arm9LoaderHax Clan... he wouldn't have...

Alright I can't keep that joke going any longer. On a serious note, this is why you should use A9LH and CFW SysNAND with FIRM Protection.
Never have to worry about updates killing your stuff. ¯\(º_o)/¯

Sorry for your loss, hopefully there will be a way in the future to software downgrade from 11.0.
I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in next couple of months, to be honest.

giphy.gif

I hope so..

Reactions: CheatFreak47

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto