Tutorial  Updated

Export/Import save games to .3DS/.3DZ/Retail carts

Hey guys,

This guide is based on another tutorial here which confused me a bit so I hope it this makes it a bit more clear. This guide will cover some things that are not covered in the other thread. So I hope you guys benefit from it as I did.

Please make sure to check out this original thread as all credits go to @liomajor :
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

The following guide should let you do the following:
.3DS Save -> .3DZ Save (Follow Parts A & B)
.3DZ Save -> .3DS Save (Follow Parts A & B)
.3DZ Save (Header A) -> .3DZ Save (Header B) (Follow Parts A & B)
Retail Cart Save -> 3DS/.3DZ Save (Follow Parts C & B)
.3DS/.3DZ Save -> Retail Cart Save (Follow Parts A & D)
.3DS/.3DZ Save -> CIA/eShop Save (Follow Parts A & F)
CIA/eShop Save -> .3DS/.3DZ Save (Follow Parts E & B)
Retail Cart Save -> CIA/eShop Save (Follow Parts C & F)
CIA/eShop Save -> Retail Cart Save (Follow Parts E & D)

Requirements:
- Original 3DS/3DS XL or 2DS
- Firmware 9.2
- Emunand
- Gateway (Only if you are trying to export/import .3DS/.3DZ save files)
- rxTools (only essential for Retail Cart backup)
- SaveDataFiler

Disclaimers/Assumptions:
1- This guide doesn't cover N3DS. It might work with those steps, but the retail cart won't work as N3DS cannot use rxTools.
2- I did not test this with Card2 games, so I am not sure if those steps will work fine for those games.
3- You can use other CFW instead of rxTools such as Cakes. I'm using rxTools as an example only.
4- As usual, use everything at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong.

Before you do anything, make sure to backup your entire SD card!

(A) - EXPORT .3DS/.3DZ save:

Savegame example: Super Mario 3D Land (0004000000053F00) > http://www.3dsdb.com/

1. Connect the SD Card to your PC
2. Copy your Savegame and save it as 000400000FF40A00.sav
3. Put the SD back in the 3DS and execute Gateway exploit
4. Mount the .3DS/.3DZ game you want to export the save from
5. Start SaveDataFiler (CTR Card should not say broken!) and highlight CTR Card
6. Press Y and then A to export the save game (It will now be in the SD tab)

(B) - IMPORT Save to .3DS/.3DZ:

Savegame example: Super Mario 3D Land (0004000000053F00) > http://www.3dsdb.com/

1. Run Gateway exploit and mount the game you want to import to.
2. Start SaveDataFiler (You will see CTR Card broken!)
Note: Depending on the game you are trying to import the save to, it might have an anti-save restore function. In this case, you need to highlight CTR Card, then click R+X to delete secret value before proceeding.
3. Click on SD tab and highlight TitleID row of your exported save
4. Press L+A and then A to import to CTR (CTR Card is no longer broken!)
5. Turn your 3DS off and connect the SD CARD to your PC
6. Copy 000400000FF40A00.sav and rename the copy to your TitleID 0004000000053F00.sav
7. Put your SD Card back into your 3DS, turn your 3DS on and execute Gateway exploit
8. Mount your Game and start it, you should see your save working now

(C) - EXPORT RETAIL Cart save (No N3DS support):

2. Setup rxTools: https://github.com/roxas75/rxTools/releases
3. Put SD Card back into your 3DS, turn it on and run rxTools from the web browser
4. Launch "rxMode", then press Y to run emunand
5. Start SaveDataFiler (CTR Card should not say broken!) and highlight CTR Card
6. Press Y and then A to export the save game (It will now be in the SD tab).

(D) - IMPORT Save to RETAIL Cart (No N3DS support):

3. Put SD Card back into your 3DS, turn it on and run rxTools from the web browser
5. Start SaveDataFiler
Note: Depending on the game you are trying to import the save to, it might have an anti-save restore function. In this case, you need to highlight CTR Card, then click R+X to delete secret value before proceeding.
6. click on SD tab and highlight TitleID row of your exported save
7. Press L+A and then A to import the save to the cart.
8. Exit SaveDataFiler and run the game. Your save game should be working on the retail cart.

(E) - EXPORT CIA/eShop save:

5. Start SaveDataFiler
6. Highlight TitleID row of your exported save (Example: 0000053F)
7. Press Y and then A to export the save game (It will now be in the SD tab)

(F) - IMPORT save to CIA/eShop:

5. Start SaveDataFiler
Note: Depending on the game you are trying to import the save to, it might have an anti-save restore function. In this case, you need to highlight TitleID row of the game you are tying to import to, then click R+X to delete secret value before proceeding.
6. Click on SD tab and highlight TitleID row of your exported save
7. Press R+A and then A to import the save to CIA/eShop game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tutorial has been through several revisions, and I think everything is complete now (with the exception on card2 saves, no idea how those work). Unless there are some mistakes or something new comes up, I would consider this to be the last version of this tutorial. Enjoy :)

Last edited by Madridi,

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what I understand, gateway creates that. Have you played any game with gateway yet? It should create it

Well, I get <RuneFactory4'sCodeHere>.sav but not this "000400000FF40A00.sav"

To make things clearer, what I did was.

My girlfriend was playing Rune Factory on Sky3DS BlueButton on her O3DSXL,
since I got a new N3DSXL, I handed down my previous N3DSXL to her, which is 9.0

Since (I think) Sky3DS emulates a real cart, I tried exporting RF4's save using SaveDataFiler,
It exported the saves just fine.

What I wanted to do now is put an RF4 Game on the Gateway Cart, and import the saves I got from the Sky3DS.

So far I can't seem to import it, because I can't get "000400000FF40A00.sav" generated and such.

Note: The RF4 Game on the Gateway Cart is a fresh copy, I still haven't started it. Do I need to at least have a save in it?

TL;DR

Transfer my Rune Factory Saves from Sky3DS Blue Button to Gateway through SaveDataFiler

Thanks!

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Well, I get <RuneFactory4'sCodeHere>.sav but not this "000400000FF40A00.sav"

To make things clearer, what I did was.

My girlfriend was playing Rune Factory on Sky3DS BlueButton on her O3DSXL,
since I got a new N3DSXL, I handed down my previous N3DSXL to her, which is 9.0

Since (I think) Sky3DS emulates a real cart, I tried exporting RF4's save using SaveDataFiler,
It exported the saves just fine.

What I wanted to do now is put an RF4 Game on the Gateway Cart, and import the saves I got from the Sky3DS.

So far I can't seem to import it, because I can't get "000400000FF40A00.sav" generated and such.

Note: The RF4 Game on the Gateway Cart is a fresh copy, I still haven't started it. Do I need to at least have a save in it?

TL;DR

Transfer my Rune Factory Saves from Sky3DS Blue Button to Gateway through SaveDataFiler

Thanks!
Ok, I understand the situation. The export went fine, so let's forget about this part for now.

Now for the import, start the same game, and save at the first save point (if it lets you save from the start by creating a profile, that should be enough)

Now exit the game, then close the 3ds, then look for .sav file that you couldn't find. You should now find it.

Let me know if that works.. Because while I do know that this is generated by gateway, I am not sure at which point it generates it.

Once you have it at least once, all other games should be done normally like described in the tutorial. Having that .sav is just for the first time (which you should have by default if you have played with the gateway yet)

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, I understand the situation. The export went fine, so let's forget about this part for now.

Now for the import, start the same game, and save at the first save point (if it lets you save from the start by creating a profile, that should be enough)

Now exit the game, then close the 3ds, then look for .sav file that you couldn't find. You should now find it.

Let me know if that works.. Because while I do know that this is generated by gateway, I am not sure at which point it generates it.

Once you have it at least once, all other games should be done normally like described in the tutorial. Having that .sav is just for the first time (which you should have by default if you have played with the gateway yet)

Thanks for the response, I'll check it out immediately when I get home. I'll update you then :D

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

UPDATE: Sadly, RF4 is still not generating that "000400000FF40A00.sav", ill try another game

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, just try another game. It is weird that this file isn't generating for you.

Would having it generated by another game work for every game when importing saves back?

It does generate a .sav file, but not that. its <RuneFactory4CodeThingHere>.sav (from 3dsdb)

UPDATE:

Found this:

FYI, this was a bit of a pain in the ass but I finally got my Luigi's Mansion save converted from Sky3DS to Gateway on my N3DS.

A couple weeks worth of scouring the forums for information and here is how I finally did it:
  • Installed NTR 2.1 with the Savegame Manager Plugin
  • Boot into NTR and insert the Sky3DS
  • Press the blue button till you find the game you want to convert
  • Hold L while starting the game and wait for the top screen to flash green twice then hit A to continue booting the game. Luigi's Mansion never loaded for me, but the save got created just fine. I just powered off my console when it got stuck at the startup animation.
  • Shut down the N3DS and boot into Gateway Mode
  • Mount the ROM and create a new savegame if you don't already have one
  • Close the game and power down the N3DS
  • Eject the SD Card and put it in your PC
  • Rename the save from whatever title ID it is to 000400000FF40A00.sav
  • Boot back into Gateway Mode and mount your ROM
  • Launch SaveDataFiler
  • Highlight CTR-Card and press Y then A to export the "dummy" save game we created
  • Close SaveDataFiler and power down the N3DS
  • Copy save_%titleid%/profile1.sav to filer/UserSaveData/DATE/TITLE/profile1.sav
  • Launch SaveDataFiler
  • Switch over to SD and highlight the title ID
  • Press L + A and then A to import the save to CTR Card
  • Close SaveDataFiler and power down the N3DS
  • Copy 000400000FF40A00.sav to titleID.sav
  • Profit!
I hope this saves someone the time and effort it took me to make this work. Now I can finally get back to finishing this game!
P.S. if you already know the folder structure for SaveDataFiler you can skip the "dummy" save game creation and copy profile1.sav directly to the proper location and create 000400000FF40A00.sav from an existing save. This will save you a bunch of time.

from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/transfer-sky3ds-save-to-gw.383912/

Ill try this when I get home and update you.

Last edited by super.bean,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Would having it generated by another game work for every game when importing saves back?

It does generate a .sav file, but not that. its <RuneFactory4CodeThingHere>.sav (from 3dsdb)

UPDATE:

Found this:

from here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/transfer-sky3ds-save-to-gw.383912/

Ill try this when I get home and update you.
Yes, it doesn't matter which game generates it.

Actually, try this:
1- export your save (which you did)
2- copy any save you have and rename it to the gateway save you are missing (copy, don't just rename, or you'll miss the save for that game)
2- run savedatafiler and import to CTR like mentioned in the steps
3- after importing complete the steps as mentioned

I think this will work

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, it doesn't matter which game generates it.

Actually, try this:
1- export your save (which you did)
2- copy any save you have and rename it to the gateway save you are missing (copy, don't just rename, or you'll miss the save for that game)
2- run savedatafiler and import to CTR like mentioned in the steps
3- after importing complete the steps as mentioned

I think this will work

Solution: Gateway had issues with SaveDataFiler on version 3.7 but fixed it on 3.7.1 (latest as of this moment)
check their changelog to see.

Thank you madridi4ever, you are awesome!

XJyemeI.jpg

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Glad it worked. I didn't know gateway had issues with their latest couple of updates. Glad they fixed that

Enjoy :)

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Solution: Gateway had issues with SaveDataFiler on version 3.7 but fixed it on 3.7.1 (latest as of this moment)
check their changelog to see.

Thank you madridi4ever, you are awesome!
Gateway launcher.dat 3.6.1 had the same issue (not sure about 3.6.2 as I skipped this firmware), I lost my whole day trying to convert my Mystery Dungeon Gatess to Infinity .3ds EUR save (.sav) over to the .3dz version until I found this on the gbatemp wiki:

"Contains bug where SaveDataFiler is no longer able to import saves to games mounted via the Gateway 3DS flashcart" for the 3.7 firmware

AND

"SaveDataFiler still requires the .sav to be renamed in order to inject saves for games mounted via the Gateway 3DS flashcart." for 3.7.1 firmware

But this info on the wiki is not completely true, the issue is present on 3.6.1 firmware as well (not just 3.7).

With 3.7.1 Launcher.dat I had no issues

Last edited by deSSy2724,

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i got the 002-0123 " this game card cannot use online features" which methods should i use to still have my old save intact and can go online ( pokemon XY ORAS)
Glad it worked. I didn't know gateway had issues with their latest couple of updates. Glad they fixed that

Enjoy :)

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know much about that issue. Is it the save that is banned?
i never even manage to get online, not update anything, i dont think its banned, everyone told me that i should convert my game to CIA file, i just wonder after i convert my game , can it be store at MicroSD card to play, cause my SD card only 4gb, and do i need to convert save too?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
any way to import CIA savegames of an imported emunand , of a 2ds unexploiteable now?

greetings
Same method as the tutorial. Sysnand or emunand doesn't matter
i never even manage to get online, not update anything, i dont think its banned, everyone told me that i should convert my game to CIA file, i just wonder after i convert my game , can it be store at MicroSD card to play, cause my SD card only 4gb, and do i need to convert save too?
That has nothing to do with the save file. It has to do with the headers that banned your nnid and console from going online.

If you do install a CIA version, follow the export from .3ds (which is I assume is what you are using), and import to .cia portions of the tutorial.

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Pooslice No, it wouldn't.

First:I dont have rxtool, only GW can i use this
Secondable: these convert game can be strore in microSD card to play or not ,i need to copy my game (rom) to SD card or not? because my SD card only 4gb
Third: i need to convert save as well for it to work with the new .cia games?
Please reply soon, thank you :)

Same method as the tutorial. Sysnand or emunand doesn't matter

That has nothing to do with the save file. It has to do with the headers that banned your nnid and console from going online.

If you do install a CIA version, follow the export from .3ds (which is I assume is what you are using), and import to .cia portions of the tutorial.
Like i said above, my o3ds is new, i just bought it,it had gw 10.5, i play pokemon Y, AS then try to go online, its got that error(002-0123-this game card cannot use online features) wheever i try to trade, GTS, wonder trade,... , i NEVER EVER been able to connect the internet in the game so i think my chance of getting banned is 00000%, i just want to know after i convert, the .cia games file need to be in SD card or microSD card?

Last edited by Alex Huynh,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Like i said above, my o3ds is new, i just bought it,it had gw 10.5, i play pokemon Y, AS then try to go online, its got that error(002-0123-this game card cannot use online features) wheever i try to trade, GTS, wonder trade,... , i NEVER EVER been able to connect the internet in the game so i think my chance of getting banned is 00000%, i just want to know after i convert, the .cia games file need to be in SD card or microSD card?
Your problem has nothing to do with this thread but I'll try to help anyway:
How are you running Pokemon on GW? Is it a .3ds file or .3dz? I assume you know that .3ds files don't go online right?

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your problem has nothing to do with this thread but I'll try to help anyway:
How are you running Pokemon on GW? Is it a .3ds file or .3dz? I assume you know that .3ds files don't go online right?
Yep, i have look to solve this problem for a while, and it turn out that convert the 3ds file is the only option here

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Yep, i have look to solve this problem for a while, and it turn out that convert the 3ds file is the only option here
That's completely wrong. You can not go online with .3ds files. You need to inject a header to them and rename them to .3dz

Your save has nothing to do with it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo