Hacking Epic Mickey Japanese version to English version Guide

EldritchPenumbra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, it's been 10 days since my last post and I thought for sure that the OP of this thread or one of the various users who have "liked" this topic and are saying they have found it useful would have chimed and and told me what I am doing wrong so I can enjoy this better version of the game in English also, but alas, there is only silence.

So again I ask that someone PLEASE help, thank you!!

Here is my question again:

"
So let me get this straight, the first thing I need to do is "Go to Partition 1/packfiles"
Open "English_NTSC.pak" with a HEX Editor.
Change the line where it says "ENGLISH_NTSC_RVL.dct", to "JAPANESE_RVL.dct" then save it and replace the "JAPANESE_RVL.dct" with the newly altered "ENGLISH_NTSC_RVL.dct".
When I do this, the in game text does change from Japanese to english, but it's a generic font and everything say "UI_" before it.
I presume I screwed up the naming? I noticed that the guide says "add or take 00 bytes so DICT starts at 0x60, meaning you add 4 for ENGLISH_NTSC", though I am not sure what a "00 byte" is or how to add it. Do I type four periods, do I hit the space bar four times? How do I add four "00 bytes"?"

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
00 is usually done by pressing the 0 key x2 times
tho not in the part where all sorts of strange signs live (decoded text), but in the part where there are rows and columns of 0-9 digits and A-F letters

so:
"Open your file with a hex editor and replace the file name starting at 0x45 (for example "ENGLISH_NTSC_RVL.dct") with "JAPANESE_RVL.dct" and then make sure to add or take 00 bytes so DICT starts at 0x60, meaning you add 4 for ENGLISH_NTSC, but take 2 for GERMAN."
see pic:
1st - row 00000040 and column 05 it's our 0x45 for starting
2nd - row 00000060 and column 00 it's our 0x60 for where DICT starts. After all changes, it should stay there.
3rd - replace (overwrite, not add) file name text in right part (where decoded text is).
You see that there is leftovers from old file name - .dct. it's 4 bytes.
You need to overwrite (not delete) it
4th - you do it by entering 00 in left part.

At least I understand it so.

Attachments

• mmhexx.png
    mmhexx.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by r1vver,

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So again I ask that someone PLEASE help, thank you!!
You don't have to hex edit.

If you're using Dolphin or a real disc to play, I put together a Riivolution pack for quick loading.

However, if you want to do it manually, just open ConfigFiles.ini in notepad, look for "Language=Japanese" and edit it to "Language=English_NTSC", that's enough to load nearly everything in English. You may also want to change "SupportedLanguages=" in case it may help certain parts of the game, this might be the languages used when you change your Wii's settings, it doesn't seem to work though.

EDIT: It's not enough, you definitely need to change both "Language" and "SupportedLanguages" to force a specific language.

The file cmdline.txt can be edited to remove the initial wiimote strap screen, you may want to do it because it stays in Japanese. The HOME menu also stays in Japanese, but the game has files you can swap and edit to get it working in English, for these other things you can use the already fixed files from the riivo pack. No cutscenes are in the pack, the game will automatically use the English voice for Yen Sid in the opening, but will be mute in other languages.

This info is mostly documented in this post.

Last edited by SuperrSonic,

EldritchPenumbra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to hex edit.

If you're using Dolphin or a real disc to play, I put together a Riivolution pack for quick loading.

However, if you want to do it manually, just open ConfigFiles.ini in notepad, look for "Language=Japanese" and edit it to "Language=English_NTSC", that's enough to load nearly everything in English. You may also want to change "SupportedLanguages=" in case it may help certain parts of the game, this might be the languages used when you change your Wii's settings, it doesn't seem to work though.

The file cmdline.txt can be edited to remove the initial wiimote strap screen, you may want to do it because it stays in Japanese. The HOME menu also stays in Japanese, but the game has files you can swap and edit to get it working in English, for these other things you can use the already fixed files from the riivo pack. No cutscenes are in the pack, the game will automatically use the English voice for Yen Sid in the opening, but will be mute in other languages.

This info is mostly documented in this post.
I noticed you had suggested editing just the ConfigFiles.ini file before, which I did, and rebuilt the ISO, but upon loading it everything was still in Japanese that's why I reverted back to the Hex Editing Method.

Thank you for chiming in!

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm very interested in trying this out, but with the PAL version of the game, is it possible to make a version of it? I know that the NTSC version has the Spanish language but the PAL game is regional and that is what interests me.

EldritchPenumbra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
00 is usually done by pressing the 0 key x2 times
tho not in the part where all sorts of strange signs live (decoded text), but in the part where there are rows and columns of 0-9 digits and A-F letters

so:
"Open your file with a hex editor and replace the file name starting at 0x45 (for example "ENGLISH_NTSC_RVL.dct") with "JAPANESE_RVL.dct" and then make sure to add or take 00 bytes so DICT starts at 0x60, meaning you add 4 for ENGLISH_NTSC, but take 2 for GERMAN."
see pic:
1st - row 00000040 and column 05 it's our 0x45 for starting
2nd - row 00000060 and column 00 it's our 0x60 for where DICT starts. After all changes, it should stay there.
3rd - replace (overwrite, not add) file name text in right part (where decoded text is).
You see that there is leftovers from old file name - .dct. it's 4 bytes.
You need to overwrite (not delete) it
4th - you do it by entering 00 in left part.

At least I understand it so.
That picture explains it all, thank you very very much! I got the Japanese_rvl.dct replaced and can now play the game in English. I am going to try to patch up the rest now. Thanks for helping me to understand!

EDIT: Now I am at :

"-Voice Acting-
Go to Partition1/Movies and extract "fmv_attract.bik".
Open VGMToolbox and go to Misc. Tools > Stream Tools > Video Demultiplexer. Select "BIK (Bink Video Container)" in Format and check "Split Audio Tracks". Now pull your "fmv_attract.bik" file in and it'll produce some files.
"fmv_attract_0000FFFF.video.bik" is the video, "fmv_attract_00000000.audio.split.bik" is the English audio track, and "fmv_attract_00000006.audio.split.bik" is the Japanese audio track. Now swap the filenames.
OPTIONAL: take "fmv_attract.bik" from the English version and extract that. The numbers go from 0 to 9 (excluding 6, which is the Japanese voice acting). Rename them to 00000006 to have your preferred voice acting in the video."

I have extracted both the fmv_attact.bik from both the Japanese and the English versions of the game. I got the files the tutorial told me I would get, though since I want english audio in my video I decided I wanted to mess with the USA version of the file. That said the tutorial says at the end to "Rename them to 00000006 to have your preferred voice acting in the video."

The problem is that there are 9 audio files that came from the USA fmv_attact.bik, so which of of "THEM" should I rename to 00000006?!?

EDIT: I just used the Japanese file in the mean time since the tutorial is more clear on that part.
So far, all seems well. Title screen is still Japanese, but all else is there in English I believe.

As for the Wii Channel Icon, I don't understand what is being said here...

"If you want to go all out and edit the Wii Channel to English, take "opening.bnr" from Partition 1.
In ShowMiiWads, go to Tools>Unpack U8 Archive. After that, select Tools>Lz77 Decompress and inside opening_bnr_OUT/meta select "banner.bin". etc. etc. etc."
The problem is that when you goto Tools>Unpack U8 Archive, it is looking for a file. What file do I load here?

Other than a few details missing, this ain't a bad tutorial, thankx again for the help!

Last edited by EldritchPenumbra,

totakeke95

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, I have already been able to do it with PAL-Esp language and everything seems to work fine but I will have to play it completely to be sure. Now a doubt has arisen.

I have a savefile completed of the PAL game, can I make it detect it in the modified jpn iso? I guess I should change the game ID but I don't know if I should do something else.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have extracted both the fmv_attact.bik from both the Japanese and the English versions of the game. I got the files the tutorial told me I would get, though since I want english audio in my video I decided I wanted to mess with the USA version of the file. That said the tutorial says at the end to "Rename them to 00000006 to have your preferred voice acting in the video."

The problem is that there are 9 audio files that came from the USA fmv_attact.bik, so which of of "THEM" should I rename to 00000006?!?
As far as I understand, these 9 files are just different voice options. The same text is spoken in different languages.
00000000 is english, 00000003 is french, 00000004 is german, etc.
You can listen .bik files with help of the VLC player for example.
You need to choose the only one you want to hear during the game (preferred voice acting). And just rename it to fmv_attract_00000006.audio.split.bik to replace the existing Japanese one with it.

Reactions: EldritchPenumbra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT