Elon Musk buys out Twitter for $44 billion, plans to take company private

asdasddsadadas.png

We've long become used to gaming industry buyouts; between Microsoft and Sony's recent acquisitions, and future rumors, it's of little surprise to see a smaller studio scooped up by an infinitely larger one. But over in the tech world, there's been a buyout a little weirder than usual; on Monday, Twitter was bought by the ever-eccentric world's richest man, Elon Musk. The cost of the deal totals a staggering $44 billion--$54.20 per share of stock. Following this, Musk plans to make Twitter a privately-owned company, and the full acquisition is set to take place later in 2022.

In regards to the buyout, Elon Musk stressed that he wants to improve Twitter by adding new features, making the site's algorithms open source, and focusing on "free speech", claiming that the company has a lot of potential. Employees of Twitter expressed frustration at the lack of transparency from the higher-ups within the company about the buyout, and nervousness as they were unsure what would happen to their jobs, as Musk plans to make drastic changes in the future.

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," said Mr. Musk. "I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Everyone knows that if @thecatboy had that money we'd have a better PayPal and Starlink.
Everyone knows that I would actually make legit cat folks. I am not in the business of bettering the world outside of that accomplishment.

Reactions: sombrerosonic

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Sorry, but I'll always side with the compassionate people trying to make the world more inclusive and safer, over the hate-filled bigots taking rights away and hating on people. It's no contest really.
Haha, right - but only as long as they agree with you, and if they don't you want to silence them. How is that more inlcusive??? And everyone that disagrees with you is called something like, racist or bigot. You should get a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself and your views. Mind you narcissist's don't do that, so I doubt you would even bother to self reflect for even a second.

Reactions: Snintendog

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha, right - but only as long as they agree with you, and if they don't you want to silence them. How is that more inlcusive??? And everyone that disagrees with you is called something like, racist or bigot. You should get a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself and your views. Mind you narcissist's don't do that, so I doubt you would even bother to self reflect for even a second.
I self reflect all the time, and I'm not a narcissist. I'm tired of hypocritical pieces of shit running their mouths filled with scriptures they don't even practice, and hearts filled with hate. I don't tolerate fascism either. Those awful things don't need included. It's like you're acting dumb on purpose.

• Angry
Reactions: Snintendog

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I self reflect all the time, and I'm not a narcissist. I'm tired of hypocritical pieces of shit running their mouths filled with scriptures they don't even practice, and hearts filled with hate. I don't tolerate fascism either. Those awful things don't need included. It's like you're acting dumb on purpose.
I see mental lefties in the same way I see Nazi racists - they are both as bad as each other, and you are teetering close to that level with your hatred of anyone on the right, but you can't see it because you are that filled with hate.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's stepping down as CEO as Twitter users voted.

While I don't agree with a lot Musk does, I respect him for trying to bring sanity back to Twitter, but it was too late. It really was a waste of money though $44 billion is probably nothing for him.

• Haha
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. It really was a waste of money though $44 billion is probably nothing for him.
..no 44billion *WAS* 20=25% of his total worth. This was before Tesla stock tanked.. and is also doesn't include the fact that Twitter stock would on be on the floor right now if it was public.

Seeing that he just had to panic sell 3-4billon of Tesla stock is worry some..( not because I dislike Elon, but because it puts the whole Electronic Auto industry at risk. as the lost of Tesla would jeopardize the future of EV Contracts and production .

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He's stepping down as CEO as Twitter users voted.

While I don't agree with a lot Musk does, I respect him for trying to bring sanity back to Twitter, but it was too late. It really was a waste of money though $44 billion is probably nothing for him.
How exactly did tweeting like a thirteen-year-old edgelord every two minutes restore sanity to the platform? He totally tanked it and didn't offer to resign until after Tesla's board started calling for his ouster as CEO. The poll also came one day after he was spotted schmoozing with the Saudi royals in Qatar, so I doubt that's a coincidence.

Last edited by Xzi,

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
..no 44billion *WAS* 20=25% of his total worth. This was before Tesla stock tanked.. and is also doesn't include the fact that Twitter stock would on be on the floor right now if it was public.

Seeing that he just had to panic sell 3-4billon of Tesla stock is worry some..( not because I dislike Elon, but because it puts the whole Electronic Auto industry at risk. as the lost of Tesla would jeopardize the future of EV Contracts and production .
ANy updates on your twitter dooming topic? you told me the site was dying back in November any updates on that?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ANy updates on your twitter dooming topic? you told me the site was dying back in November any updates on that?
yea the Panic selling of almost 4B of Tesla stock ( at a loss) to keep Twitter afloat...the loss of 100billon of Elon personal worth, Tesla Future at risk, the Return of Baby Nazis .... The not so private meeting with Saudi Investors who wanted him out during the World Cup.. .."Everything's Coming up MIllhouse"

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
yea the Panic selling of almost 4B of Tesla stock ( at a loss) to keep Twitter afloat...the loss of 100billon of Elon personal worth, Tesla Future at risk, the Return of Baby Nazis .... The not so private meeting with Saudi Investors who wanted him out during the World Cup.. .."Everything's Coming up MIllhouse"
so this is the new dooming ? got it will be back asking next month on a update im sure this time for sure

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this is the new dooming ? got it will be back asking next month on a update im sure this time for sure

The Fact you believe its a Thanos Snap.
74ydic.gif

Lets me know that business analytics Is something Foreign to you,
Thanos Snapping only happens with Companies that were created as or became "Frauds" (Enron, FTX)
The Dismantling of a Public Square, even on purpose, is not instant
Think USSR (Fraud Based) iconically fell over night with the Berlin Wall (not really took months but that night was THE DATE)
USA will take Years for "Nationalist"= Fascist to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed