Elon Musk buys out Twitter for $44 billion, plans to take company private

asdasddsadadas.png

We've long become used to gaming industry buyouts; between Microsoft and Sony's recent acquisitions, and future rumors, it's of little surprise to see a smaller studio scooped up by an infinitely larger one. But over in the tech world, there's been a buyout a little weirder than usual; on Monday, Twitter was bought by the ever-eccentric world's richest man, Elon Musk. The cost of the deal totals a staggering $44 billion--$54.20 per share of stock. Following this, Musk plans to make Twitter a privately-owned company, and the full acquisition is set to take place later in 2022.

In regards to the buyout, Elon Musk stressed that he wants to improve Twitter by adding new features, making the site's algorithms open source, and focusing on "free speech", claiming that the company has a lot of potential. Employees of Twitter expressed frustration at the lack of transparency from the higher-ups within the company about the buyout, and nervousness as they were unsure what would happen to their jobs, as Musk plans to make drastic changes in the future.

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," said Mr. Musk. "I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."

:arrow: Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated. I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."

And if you believe him on any of that, I have a bridge to sell you.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As someone that has no interest in any social media whatsoever, I hope that these claims of true free speech and anti-censorship will shine a light on actual opinion as opposed to perceived opinion skewed by algorithms.

Personally, I'll remain out of the entire social media circus as long as it's steering users to verify their identities... the internet was a beautiful place when pseudonimity was king.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Imagine having an ego so large you feel you have to spend $44 billion just to stop people from criticizing you.

my ego is big too.... send help. send $44 billion

in fact forget the help and $44 billion. send some hookers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!