Homebrew Edit DS Firmware Settings

Isle41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not sure if something like this exists, I want to edit my own firmware on a real DS.
Namely the name. I know it's pointless, but I'm curious if there's a way to force a name.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure I follow- the basic DS menu should handle most editing and should you have to force something you have a lot more problems on your hands (I don't think there are any forbidden names). All most programs will ever touch is wifi settings though you might look at DSOrganize (I am pretty sure it only had wifi plus some bonus wifi settings storage but it has been years).
If you are thinking about doing it on a per game basis then it is probably easier to make a cheat to do it (although anything can theoretically access the firmware a lot of the time the settings of it will be copied to memory at boot and operated on from there- it is how a lot of the language forcing cheats work).

If you have a file you dumped and want to do it on a PC then Crystaltile2 will be able to handle it (various places but under the tools pulldown menu is the main one). That said it is usually just as easy to click "config- firmware settings" on desmume.

Isle41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am not sure I follow- the basic DS menu should handle most editing and should you have to force something you have a lot more problems on your hands (I don't think there are any forbidden names). All most programs will ever touch is wifi settings though you might look at DSOrganize (I am pretty sure it only had wifi plus some bonus wifi settings storage but it has been years).
If you are thinking about doing it on a per game basis then it is probably easier to make a cheat to do it (although anything can theoretically access the firmware a lot of the time the settings of it will be copied to memory at boot and operated on from there- it is how a lot of the language forcing cheats work).

I don't really need it for a game. I want to however use more characters than what the ds keyboard is giving me.

If you have a file you dumped and want to do it on a PC then Crystaltile2 will be able to handle it (various places but under the tools pulldown menu is the main one). That said it is usually just as easy to click "config- firmware settings" on desmume.

Hmm.... And once I edit these then what would I do?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you mean you want the extra characters in your language ( ØæÅ?) then it is not going to happen I am afraid and even if you somehow managed it then it would only be for your DS and I would be not surprised in the slightest to see all manner of games crash and start crying should they have to try handling it- the DS firmware has a font built in and that is what it uses for firmware things. Games can (and often do) have other fonts but should something be wrong from the firmware level then things get can get just as messy.

As for the second question actually I am not sure what there is for a soft DS firmware flash (hardware is sorted by ppflash- http://www.darkfader.net/ds/ ) as nobody in the general public as it were really ever had cause to do it*- the obvious thing to look at would be either the flashme installer or the FWNitro installer to see if you could piggyback onto that but I am not sure what goes there.

*if you were developing a firmware (to my knowledge all of three different ones have ever been made) then you already know more than is necessary and the only other thing would have been parasyte to work around Nintendo banning him.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he wanted to make a 10 character name vs a 5 character name. I guess it could be possible if you knew what address to write the data to and if it even writable or it will even save I don't know. then there is also the risks of the ds no longer booting up because of some checksum calculation failure or some kind of buffer overflow caused by the extra long sting.

Isle41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, haven't quite had time for a response XP.

If you mean you want the extra characters in your language ( ØæÅ?) then it is not going to happen I am afraid and even if you somehow managed it then it would only be for your DS and I would be not surprised in the slightest to see all manner of games crash and start crying should they have to try handling it- the DS firmware has a font built in and that is what it uses for firmware things. Games can (and often do) have other fonts but should something be wrong from the firmware level then things get can get just as messy.

I'm looking to use already built in symbols, not invent a new font for new symbols.
Some symbols that aren't on the keyboard are some by Pictochat and the like (which have strangely been included in every console since the DS).

As for the second question actually I am not sure what there is for a soft DS firmware flash (hardware is sorted by ppflash- http://www.darkfader.net/ds/ ) as nobody in the general public as it were really ever had cause to do it*- the obvious thing to look at would be either the flashme installer or the FWNitro installer to see if you could piggyback onto that but I am not sure what goes there.

*if you were developing a firmware (to my knowledge all of three different ones have ever been made) then you already know more than is necessary and the only other thing would have been parasyte to work around Nintendo banning him.

Hmm.............. did a google search for ds soft flash and the like, nothing quite came up. Sadly, I'm not in the mood for a hardware mod right now XP

The only idea I can think of is to make a code for firmware.nds..............

I think he wanted to make a 10 character name vs a 5 character name. I guess it could be possible if you knew what address to write the data to and if it even writable or it will even save I don't know. then there is also the risks of the ds no longer booting up because of some checksum calculation failure or some kind of buffer overflow caused by the extra long sting.
Checksum failures........ never thought about that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for the soft flash I forgot about NoFlashMe (should be available from http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/ )- it should have a firmware inbuilt which you can then piggyback on (I recall some people trying things there one day) rather than the others which are patching style programs.

Characters in the encoding but not in the keyboard (I assume- I did not see any immediately obvious differences though I did not look hard).... were this a ROM hack I would say carry on but for a firmware hack I have so many more reservations.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As for the soft flash I forgot about NoFlashMe (should be available from http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/ )- it should have a firmware inbuilt which you can then piggyback on (I recall some people trying things there one day) rather than the others which are patching style programs.
The website has a download of the firmware.nds (you have to delete the last folder in the file tree and select the "DS stuff" folder. There you can select "DS Firmware".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: Just started God of War 2 on the PS2