EA outbids Rockstar to acquire DiRT studio Codemasters for $1.2 billion

06ivgnaRMKAfuHng61saSCQ-1.fit_scale.size_1050x591.v1569491888-700x394.jpg

Electronic Arts has jumped into a buyout-in-progress, suddenly outbidding Rockstar Games in order to purchase the development studio Codemasters. Rockstar had offered $970 million to acquire Codemasters, a British company behind racing games such as the DiRT series, Project Cars, GRID, F1, and others. However, before anything could be finalized, EA swooped in with a larger bid of $1.2 billion, an amount that Codemasters agreed to, with the buyout set to occur in Q1 2021.

“We believe there is a deeply compelling opportunity in bringing together Codemasters and Electronic Arts to create amazing and innovative new racing games for fans. Our industry is growing, the racing category is growing, and together we will be positioned to lead in a new era of racing entertainment. We have admired Codemasters’ creative talent and high-quality games for many years. With the full leverage of EA’s technology, platform expertise, and global reach, this combination will allow us to grow our existing franchises and deliver more industry-defining racing experiences to a global fan base. We are pleased that both our Boards of Directors are recommending this transaction, and we look forward to welcoming such an exciting and talented team to the Electronic Arts family,”said Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts.

With EA currently also owning the Need for Speed franchise, this move gives them a large control over the racing game genre. The CEO of Codemasters hopes that the buyout will allow them to create "bigger and better games to an extremely passionate audience".

:arrow: Source

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, do we get to start a betting pool at how long it takes EA to absolutely destroy Codemasters?
slams down briefcase full of money

I've been waiting for this moment

Last edited by James_, A moment ago yeah i know shut up i only changed the word case to briefcase

Last edited by James_,

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oof , just went over codemaster's game , cant see why you would bet on it . basicly just gonna make a couple racing games , wouldnt be suprise to just see the brand get absorbed by another one . upload_2020-12-14_15-2-37.png

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

Can you imagine that apple gonna buy sony and Own the PlayStation brand and sell apple ps5 for 4000$. This is nightmare. Or EA buying nintendo and putting lot boxes in zelda and mario games.

Reactions: Fusion

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This sucks, one of the few UK studios that actually made enjoyable games. If you don't count Rockstar as uk anymore that is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye