E3 Opens to the Public in 2017 for the First Time

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Feb 8, 2017.

Feb 8, 2017
  1. Prans
    OP

Reporter Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip
    Mauritius
    rsz_e3_for_all_prans.png

Ever wanted to attend one of the greatest annual gaming convention but have no WordPress account? Well you're in luck! E3 will be open to the public for the first time ever this year!

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which organizes the event every year, announced today that 15,000 tickets will be made available for the general public to buy this coming Monday, February 13. Each ticket is priced at $250 (earl bird tickets are at $150, available on February 13) and provide access to the show floor, panel discussions, and other events from Tuesday through Thursday of E3 week. Partnering with Geoff Keighley, the ESA will also provide attendees with access to special benefits associated with Keighley's own E3 programming, such as developer interviews and more. More details are said to be announced in the upcoming weeks.

The event organizers are also offering a new class of business passes, giving access to the business lounge and grant priority access to the convention center.

The ESA experimented with its 2016 E3 Live event, which was free and open to the public and attendees could go hands-on with upcoming games and take part in other events.

"The feedback we heard was clear--they wanted to play the games inside the convention center. In addition, exhibitors inside the convention center wanted to have access to the fans. So this year we're bringing the two together," the ESA's senior VP of communications, Rich Taylor, told GameSpot

"It's a changing industry, and E3 has always evolved to meet industry needs and anticipate where we’re heading together--as an event, as an industry, and as fans. The decision to open our doors to 15,000 fans was a strategic decision. It is thanks to our members and their vision and leadership that made this possible. We have a model that allows the business of the industry to continue for our business and media attendees and provides an opportunity for video games' biggest fans to experience the latest in innovative, immersive entertainment."

:arrow: SOURCE

Soulsilve2010 and TheVinAnator like this.

2. BlueFox gui

Member BlueFox gui GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    I always wanted to go, maybe one day I would go to E3

3. Temarile

Member Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Netherlands
    Too bad I can't just fly to the US for a convention. It's awesome that they did that though, I really liked Gamescom.

Pandaxclone2 likes this.
  4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "It's a changing industry, and E3 has always evolved to meet industry needs and anticipate where we’re heading together"
    translation
    "oh fuck all these pubs and devs are doing their own thing, we need a thing to stay relevant"

Wonder what this will do to the hotel situation though.

5. H1B1Esquire

Member H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

United States
    Damn...strategic with Switch releasing a couple weeks after. Good thing you can watch the E3 stream on your Switch....oh wait.

Imacaredformy2ds likes this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    This. Good luck finding a hotel anywhere near the convention center. It's bad enough when it was just reporters who bought tickets, I can't imagine how terrible it'll be now that anyone can head to the convention.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, Feb 8, 2017
    Prans likes this.
  7. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    As someone who went to E3, I'm kinda miffed at this. It was crowded enough with all the reporters and media people scattered about. Now, there's going to be a lot more people in the lines being crazy, so they'll need more security. That also gets in the way of the press doing its job, since regular attendees will be taking up all the non-interview related queues. My favorite part of E3 was just mingling in the booths with the people from each company. Probably won't be able to do that now.

For the most part, reporters buy at a specific discounted hotel that's right by the convention center, so they probably won't be competing too much for hotels with the general public. If someone's shelling out 250 bucks, along with a plane ticket ride, they'd be best off getting a hotel somewhere nearby, like in Pasadena, along with a rental car for 3 days. That'd be cheaper than a downtown LA hotel 3 night stay.

Either way, this will definitely generate more money for the ESA, which is their main goal. Ah well.

Prans likes this.
  8. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Wasn't E3 at one point open to the public?

Nollog likes this.
  9. Noctosphere

Member Noctosphere husky master

Canada
    i really wish i could fly there
    unfortunately, i cant afford it :cry:

10. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Yeah, I'm remember E for All being a thing instead of E3 for a few years... I thought there was a reason they closed themselves off again?

11. grossaffe

Member grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Is E3 even interesting anymore?

12. Imacaredformy2ds

Member Imacaredformy2ds Shitposter/Pirate

Mexico
    Whoooo boy
    I think I know where my life savings are going.
    R.I.P my wallet

Last edited by Imacaredformy2ds, Feb 9, 2017
  13. VinLark

Member VinLark Take this 5

United States
    It's about time

14. xile6

Member xile6 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Always wanted to go buy damn thats to pricey for me. Then i gotta fly put there and what not. Maybe one day

15. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Way too crowded to ever be fun to go to like that.
    It always looks like a fucking shitshow even with just non-general public attendees.

16. keven3477

Member keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

United States
    Wish I could go, I live nearby so I don't have to worry about travel but I cant justify 250$ just to look at upcoming game news.

17. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

captain obvious here but to me the most interesting part of E3 are the pre-show conferences, and these will certainly not be open to the public (again for obvious reasons) so this isn't really a big deal

that being said, I would still like to be able to go once in my life

Prans likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Member Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Not to mention last year the rumors of dumping Zelda breath of the wild, now people just my be having more complex trouble, with thiefs stealing some products up for display. Then it won't ever happen again, good buy "Another privlaged taken away from innocent people." :ninja:

19. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    I'd rather have it covered for me by the tons of press from the comfort of my own home than fly to LA just to feel like a canned sardine for a few days. Nice for people who can handle that kind of traffic and concentration of humanity, I suppose.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 9, 2017
  20. SonicCloud

Member SonicCloud Hoopa , Chesnaught and Incineroar are best Pokemon

Mexico
    I wish i could go , but not even selling my kidney would be enough to be there :c