Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Pendor said:
Very nice guide and all, I guess.

But in doing so it defeats the purpose of the flashcart's media player.
Yes, the media player is capable of playing unconverted video, but the purpose of this guide to optimise that experience.
This way you can enjoy more video on one memory card, it should look better too.
It's not just capable. It was designed to avoid the hassle of re-encoding media (or at least that was the plan).

You're not exactly optimizing anything. If anything, you're degrading the feature you pretend to enhance.

At least to anyone with half a brain.

Kit_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was an awesome guide. Thank you for showing me how to conserve some space on my Micro SD card. Is there a way to boost the Audio on a video as I've noticed some movies are just too quiet. I know I could just use headphones but I'd like to know a solution if there is one.

I was able to find divx converter by simply going to the bay and searching for "divx converter"

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pendor said:
It's not just capable. It was designed to avoid the hassle of re-encoding media (or at least that was the plan).

You're not exactly optimizing anything. If anything, you're degrading the feature you pretend to enhance.

You're still not getting it.
That 640x480 resolution video isn't going to look as good when played on DStwo player, it'll be downscaled to 256x192 by an uneven ratio, which'll make it look blocky and unsmooth.
On top of that, the filesize would be a lot bigger too.

Think of it this way, I could watch my DVD rip of Pixar's UP, it'd be 900mb, and look slightly blocky since it's a 720x480 video.
Or I could watch the optimised video I made, 360mb and 256x176 resolution, which would look pretty much flawless, and not not suffer any potential slowdown.

Think of it another way, this is like ROM trimming, you're removing excess detail from the videos that wouldn't fit on the screen, so you can save file-space.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Dec 27 2010, 09:54 AM) RupeeClock, give SUPER another run?

In the video section on he right, you can click the little O button for other options, in there you can adjust the audio level.
I should definitely try and figure it out, it probably can out-put something just like the DivX converter, but it's just not so user friendly.
All the more reason to make a guide though, it's free.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This kinda defeats the purpose of the video player supporting all formats if you have to convert anyway.. You may as well convert to dpg and use moonshell.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Pendor said:

You're still not getting it.
That 640x480 resolution video isn't going to look as good when played on DStwo player, it'll be downscaled to 256x192 by an uneven ratio, which'll make it look blocky and unsmooth.
On top of that, the filesize would be a lot bigger too.

Think of it this way, I could watch my DVD rip of Pixar's UP, it'd be 900mb, and look slightly blocky since it's a 720x480 video.
Or I could watch the optimised video I made, 360mb and 256x176 resolution, which would look pretty much flawless, and not not suffer any potential slowdown.

Think of it another way, this is like ROM trimming, you're removing excess detail from the videos that wouldn't fit on the screen, so you can save file-space.

Nope, you're not getting it. But it's okay, I wasn't expecting you to do it anyway.

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pendor the ds is NOT HD or anything like that the ds Full screen resolution is 256 x 196 you say that rupeerclclok is lowering the videos quality and shit but the dstwo is going to do that anyway rupee is just doing it beforehand so that dstwo play the video more smooth

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
The way I do it is as follows -

Download ffmpeg (a command line video converter) and use the following command to convert almost every video format to a good format for the dstwo. the conversion is very quick too.

ffmpeg -i "video name.flv" -f avi -s 256x144 -b 512k -bt 256k -vcodec libxvid -deinterlace -acodec libmp3lame -ar 32000 -ab 96k -ac 2 "output.avi"

the above is for widescreen videos, for 4:3 ratio just change the 256x144 to 256x192

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
zizer said:
I would like to convert it was not necessary

the dstwo will play quite a lot of videos without converting them, but at its fastest, the dstwo is only 396mhz and has no specific hardware for decoding movies. It is far better to convert movies to a smaller format so that less power is used to decode them (the battery may last longer this way) and there is less frame skip or errors during playback.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
zizer said:

the dstwo will play quite a lot of videos without converting them, but at its fastest, the dstwo is only 396mhz and has no specific hardware for decoding movies. It is far better to convert movies to a smaller format so that less power is used to decode them (the battery may last longer this way) and there is less frame skip or errors during playback.
The DSTwo also lacks a way of making the video look smoother when downscaled, so downscaling it before-hand during a conversion will definitely make the video look much nicer, as well as the advantage of saving memory space.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
zizer said:

I agree you are right, just wanted to quickly write and go

smithereens

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super is just a front end to ffmpeg, so it should be capable of the same thing.

I think only DivX converter plus is available these days, so the previous remark about the plus version maybe not converting below a min size that is too large for the DS might be a problem.

Has anyone really tried ffmpeg vs. FormatFactory (using ffmpeg command line as shown in previous post) and compared?

Has anyone tried DivX Converter (not free though) vs. either ffmpeg or FormatFactory?

MST3KPIMP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to transfer a couple of .avi files 30fps from my Canon digital camera to the DSTwo but when I play them in Video Player it just goes to the first frame and stays there. I tried converting the video to divx and xvid and changing resolution but nothing changes. Any speculation what the problem is?

MST3KPIMP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
does it play normally on your computer?

yes they play fine.. i even did a codec check and it uses 'mjpeg' which i'm pretty sure dstwo supports. But like I said it would'nt work even after recompensing using different codecs. I don't know if canon puts some kind of special coding in the .avi to make things hard for me>?

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used your settings for encoding with
Pazera Free FLV to AVI Converter

and it worked flawlessly. Now I can watch any youtube video on the dstwo

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the point of converting isn't that the point of the DStwo video player? If you were going to convert then you could have done it to DPG format and use Moonshell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol