Homebrew DSi Wifi support anybody?

nocash123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
From what I got told, the later boards have smaller flash chips. If that's true then it's probably for cost-saving reasons, not for security. Not having one of those newer boards myself, I am also a bit sceptical if the flash is really "smaller", and if it's so, if it's really "too small" for installing dslink on it.
Btw. spare DWM-W015 and DWM-W024 wifi boards are sold on aliexpress, I tried to buy one each, but one seems to need a credit card to buy anything there.

For the driver, would it be easier to just dug out the blob from a retail game? just like how nds-bootstrap uses a donor ROM, I know this is risky legal wise.
Would work, too. But it would be clumsy to use in source code, and it would be disappointing from the reverse-engineering view (since one still wouldn't know "how it works" internally). And if it's easier? I am quite sure that the official source code is readily available via internet, and it would require only some small gluework to get it communicating with the DSi hardware via the SDIO ports at 4004A00h-4004B0Fh.

For finding the correct source code version, it would need to match up with command numbers & structures used on the DSi, for example Wifi Statistics function, http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsiatheroswifiwmistatisticsfunction exists with at least three different structure versions (with A9h, D5h, and EDh bytes size).

For the DSi one would need the D5h-byte structure (as found in AR6kSDK.build_sw.18 from 2006). I've only looked at the "firmware" code, but it's quite possible that the AR6kSDK.build_sw.18 package does also contain the corresponding "driver" code.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
OT:
God I remember trying to get my first DS to work with the homes wifi. It was such a pain in the ass. It took me 2 days and 2 different routers to get it to work lol.

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I got told, the later boards have smaller flash chips. If that's true then it's probably for cost-saving reasons, not for security. Not having one of those newer boards myself, I am also a bit sceptical if the flash is really "smaller", and if it's so, if it's really "too small" for installing dslink on it.
Btw. spare DWM-W015 and DWM-W024 wifi boards are sold on aliexpress, I tried to buy one each, but one seems to need a credit card to buy anything there.

Would work, too. But it would be clumsy to use in source code, and it would be disappointing from the reverse-engineering view (since one still wouldn't know "how it works" internally). And if it's easier? I am quite sure that the official source code is readily available via internet, and it would require only some small gluework to get it communicating with the DSi hardware via the SDIO ports at 4004A00h-4004B0Fh.

For finding the correct source code version, it would need to match up with command numbers & structures used on the DSi, for example Wifi Statistics function, http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsiatheroswifiwmistatisticsfunction exists with at least three different structure versions (with A9h, D5h, and EDh bytes size).

For the DSi one would need the D5h-byte structure (as found in AR6kSDK.build_sw.18 from 2006). I've only looked at the "firmware" code, but it's quite possible that the AR6kSDK.build_sw.18 package does also contain the corresponding "driver" code.

http://davejmurphy.com/dsi-homebrew-redux/ said:
This chip appears to contain no writable flash apart from the user settings and storage for wifi access points.
, so it is smaller

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
from my understanding the biggest loser can contain dslink but you need to install it on a correct daughterboard so you can run files through wifi, but later boards had their security amped up so it wasnt possible
If it can contain dslink, then just run it from there.

I just ran the dslink installer from flashcart, tried installing dslink on my board but it didnt work, if it would have worked I would have injected the save file on my biggest loser cart and run it and try running a file through wifi
Install from flashcart, that makes sense, haven't think about that, then I would guess indeed you have a incompatible wifi daughter card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have no driver hacking experience, but I might be able to help you with this, detail in PM.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
FWIW, the dsilink flasher doesn't work on my XL (which I personally know has a 015 since I swapped it with the small console :D)

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it can contain dslink, then just run it from there.

Install from flashcart, that makes sense, haven't think about that, then I would guess indeed you have a incompatible wifi daughter card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have no driver hacking experience, but I might be able to help you with this, detail in PM.
from my understanding the idea is that you install dslink on the wifi chip using a flashcart and then run it using the biggest loser, because you cant fit the installer in 8kb

Reactions: JimmyZ

nocash123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Quoted from http://davejmurphy.com/dsi-homebrew-redux/:
"This chip appears to contain no writable flash apart from the user settings and storage for wifi access points."
so it is smaller
Yeah, but if it's really having 2.75Kbyte writeable memory then it would be a very weird chip design.
I guess it might turn out to be 3K writeable and 1K write-protected. Or who knows, maybe there's even more memory in there.

FWIW, the dsilink flasher doesn't work on my XL (which I personally know has a 015 since I swapped it with the small console :D)
Maybe the board is already using the new/small flash chip. The 015 abd 024 boards are both having solder pads for both flash chip variants - so it would be possible to find "old" boards with "new" flash chips, and vice-versa.

Fortunartely dsiware exploits seem to get more common, allowing to use dslink directly, without needing to installing anything on the wifi board anymore.

ADrowsyUser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange, I got it to work. https : // imgur . com /a/K1PuF (can't post links yet). I launched the flasher with a DSiWare exploit and it seemed to work only with the 015.

Anyways, it seems dslink cannot utilize 024 board (even on the old dsi system). It is stuck on "dslink ... connecting ..." and I know the network is configured correctly. Any bits of advice on what I should do? I don't have a dsi flashcart right now, but I might get one if it is necessary.

Last edited by ADrowsyUser,

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Report: I can't get it to work on a XL with 015 swapped in.

update: I tested 3 015 modules on a 024 XL, the installer worked on one of them. I suppose not all 015 modules are made equal.

but I don't have dsiwarehax to test it :(

Last edited by JimmyZ,

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
It wouldn't be the first time an inadvertent change was proclaimed to be the console manufacturer cracking down security, when it just triggered a bug in the hack.

It's neither cracking down security nor a bug. Possibly it's a simple matter of not knowing how to enable writing on the newer boards but equally it could be that a larger area of these flash chips is write protected.

I don't believe the flash is smaller - a 128K dump looks like you'd expect. So far writing outside the user settings areas eludes me.

Most, if not all, sellers are supplying DWM-W024 boards on the basis that they're compatible with DWM-W015 so there's probably not a lot of point trying to get a W015 board this way. I ordered a few W015s from different suppliers & ended up with W024s.

For what it's worth we do now have dswifi working on the newer boards but still with 2mbit & WEP so far.

http://davejmurphy.com/dslink-2-1-0/

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Most, if not all, sellers are supplying DWM-W024 boards on the basis that they're compatible with DWM-W015 so there's probably not a lot of point trying to get a W015 board this way. I ordered a few W015s from different suppliers & ended up with W024s.

I asked a seller nicely, and they got me 3 W015 boards :D, and there's a 3rd part number J27H020 made by Hon Hai(Foxconn) instead of Mitsumi.

Reactions: realWinterMute

nocash123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
For what it's worth we do now have dswifi working on the newer boards but still with 2mbit & WEP so far.
http://davejmurphy.com/dslink-2-1-0/
Good to know! Did you need to change anything to get the newer W024 boards working?

Anyways, it seems dslink cannot utilize 024 board (even on the old dsi system). It is stuck on "dslink ... connecting ..." and I know the network is configured correctly.
Try the new 2.1.0 version. And for network config: Mind that that's stored on the wifi board (just in case you had swapped the boards during testing).

Reactions: Oleboy555

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
@nocash123 Might there be any way to reflash the DSi WiFi boards in-system? I have a few faulty DSi consoles which need the WiFi boards reflashed. The typical symptoms are:-
-DSi will turn on and show health and safety screen, but the touch screen wont respond, and pressing any button doesn't bring you to the menu but instead displays two white screens.
-DSi will turn on and display the boot code error 0000FEFE, which I posted about here:-
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...ion-etc-multitool.393488/page-15#post-5784253

I did some research into this some years ago with the intention of updating this DSibrew article, but never got round to it :rolleyes:
http://dsibrew.org/w/index.php?title=WiFi_Module&oldid=4305

Anyway, after much googling I found that the two small chips (408F and 5A32) not identified in the DSibrew article should be:-
408F = 8Kbit I2C EEPROM - ST Microelectronics M24C08-F - Used on all WiFi board revisions to store the Atheros config.
5A32 = 32Kbit SPI EEPROM - ST Microelectronics M35B32 - The 5A32 is just an earlier revision of the 5B32, its even mentioned in the 5B32 datasheet errata:-
M35B32 datasheet said:
c. If the M35A32 is executing a Write (pr program) cycle), the RESET pin driven active (low) does not stop an on going Program or Write cycle.

Do you think theres any way we could hot-swap a faulty WiFi board into a working hacked DSi system, and then reflash the corrupted flash/EEPROM chips?

I would just purchase some replacement WiFi boards, but IIRC although the later DSi/DSi XL consoles can use both the DWM-W024 and DWM-W015 modules, the early models only support the DWM-W015 and wont boot with the DWM-W024 :sad:

Last edited by Razor83,

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Pm or email or gbadev.org plz
I tried to PM you but just received an auto reply, so have sent an email. A shame you cant use gbatemp anymore due to your browser :(

I also tried to signup at 4dsdev to reply to your thread there:-
http://4dsdev.kuribo64.net/thread.php?id=170
But "Registrations are currently disabled"

Would I be best making a thread about this on your forums at gbadev.org?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1