Homebrew DS FPS Maker

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
If you want I can split this thread since at your first Portal message to create the Portal thread.
Thanks, that'd be great. I'm not quite ready just yet but I'll let you know when I am !

Smealum, they are absolutely fawning over you in the Neogaf forums. :D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512827

Although some of the things they say make me wretch :ha:

Thanks for keeping DS homebew alive.
Thanks for the heads up ! It's not just neogaf though; there've been articles about my video on kotaku, destructoid, pocketgamer... it's pretty crazy !

Reactions: Cyan

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
"Download : http://smealum.net/FPSM/FPSMAKER_260812.zip"
That one...:(
Its not a real clickable link so I do it with copy/paste and I get 404 NOT FOUND
It's clickable in your post actually; and it works.

unrelated : some editor progress
editor2.png

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
looking good, are you using the cartoon shader?
yeah, using toon shading and an outline effect for the game. it makes for better readability and looks neat imo. :)

also, some more advanced features for the editor : it's now possible to link entities to one another, like for instance having a pressure plate activate a cube dispenser.

target.png
dispenser.png

also I think I'm going to experiment with some new gameplay mechanics present in neither of the original portals. I'm not exactly sure how it's going to work yet but I have a few ideas and if it works out I think it could end up being seriously cool. :D

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just noticed! :wtf:
The new updates in the images, are they in the download now? Or is it not anything significant yet?
All the updates about the project I've been posting since september have actually been about portal DS rather than FPSM. It's safe to assume now that FPSM is dead for good, however I do intend to bring portal to completion. I probably won't release a demo until then though, so sit tight because it's going to be another couple months most likely. :P

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Will you be releasing the source code at some point for the Portal project?

It'd be very interesting to read through and play around with the code.
I can't say for sure right now; it all depends one whether I'm satisfied with how the code looks once I'm done. I'll do my best to keep it in good shape until then though. :P

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
All the updates about the project I've been posting since september have actually been about portal DS rather than FPSM. It's safe to assume now that FPSM is dead for good, however I do intend to bring portal to completion. I probably won't release a demo until then though, so sit tight because it's going to be another couple months most likely. :P
Aawww, thats... just awww...
I can still make/have enemies in FPSM?
Its not a problem if I have to make them myself though since I model in Blender 3D but then I'd have to know how to add them into FPSM somehow...

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Aawww, thats... just awww...
I can still make/have enemies in FPSM?
Its not a problem if I have to make them myself though since I model in Blender 3D but then I'd have to know how to add them into FPSM somehow...
Unfortunately with the current state of things, all you could do is replace the enemy model; not add new ones. If that's enough, then all you have to do is replace the enemy.md2 model in the fpsm directory and the enemy1.pcx texture in fpsm/textures.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Unfortunately with the current state of things, all you could do is replace the enemy model; not add new ones. If that's enough, then all you have to do is replace the enemy.md2 model in the fpsm directory and the enemy1.pcx texture in fpsm/textures.
Hmmm... Blender does not export in .md2 (or at least as far as I know), so I guess I'll just drop it :/
(There is only one enemy possible in the engine?)

This new Portal thing looks a lot cleaner than the FPSM... or at least what I can see from the GUI in the images...

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... Blender does not export in .md2 (or at least as far as I know), so I guess I'll just drop it :/
(There is only one enemy possible in the engine?)

This new Portal thing looks a lot cleaner than the FPSM... or at least what I can see from the GUI in the images...
The engine of course supports more than one type of enemies, but the version I released doesn't allow for the addition of more types without modifying the code unfortunately. :/

The editor for Portal is a lot nicer than the one for FPSM; it's a lot easier to use and actually makes the creation of much more complex geometry possible, so I'm glad I got it done. :)

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
The engine of course supports more than one type of enemies, but the version I released doesn't allow for the addition of more types without modifying the code unfortunately. :/

The editor for Portal is a lot nicer than the one for FPSM; it's a lot easier to use and actually makes the creation of much more complex geometry possible, so I'm glad I got it done. :)
Thats a pity... I was looking forward on making FPS stuff doodle things on a DS :/
Nevermind though, guess Portal DS editor could compensate ^^

I'm also looking into the 2.5 D platformer engine currently in the works here... so its not a complete disaster ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-