Gaming Double Pen Sports on 3DS (possible shovelware?

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Screenshots have emerged of Namco Bandai’s original sport title for Nintendo 3DS, Double Pen Sports.

The game appears to feature various sports modes – archery and soccer were shown in the screen shots. The game requires stylus controls and according to the developer (and as the name suggests) two hands will be required. Players will have to play Double Pen Sports with their 3DS resting on a table.

The developer behind the title is none other than Indies Zero – the guys behind Electroplankton.

double_pen_001.jpeg

Click show to see the rest of the screens
double_pen_002.jpeg

double_pen_003.jpeg

double_pen_005.jpeg

double_pen_008.jpeg

double_pen_009.jpeg

Do you think the 3DS will have as much shovelware as the ds?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ryan90 said:
Do you think the 3DS will have as much shovelware as the ds?
It's the 80's/90's all over again. HEY LOOK AT OUR COMPANY WE MADE A "VIDEO GAME"!
FUCK PRODUCTION VALUES THE FACT THAT IT'S A VIDEOGAME MAKES IT COOL!

Companies were concentrating so hard on releasing video games at all (since before then none existed publicly for the home makret) that nobody bothered to make them good.

Now it's all HEY LOOK WE MADE A VIDEOGAME IN ACTUAL "3D"!

Companies will be pushing so hard just to make 3D games at all I doubt many "new faces" to the scene will be worth a damn. :\

D

Deleted-188346

It seems to me that this title was originally developed for DS, and they decided to throw it on the 3DS for the monies. Without improving the visuals.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Veho said:
So what does this double pen thing mean? Does the 3DS have multitouch?

Yeah it does.
I read it somewhere on this site and it was CONFIRMED. The aside from the accelerometer and gyro, we have MULTITOUCH YEAAYYYY :yay3ds:

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:
It seems to me that this title was originally developed for DS, and they decided to throw it on the 3DS for the monies. Without improving the visuals.

Thats Exactly what i was thinking, Unfortunately i think shovelware is gonna be terrible on the 3ds as another poster said they will make 3d games for the sake of making games and not in making a good game.

The same thing happened with the ds where every game was made to use the touchscreen even if the game didn't benefit from it at all.

I just hope we're not going to see a bunch of poorly made 3d games that do nothing but have balls flying into our faces.

D

Deleted-188346

ryan90 said:
Puppy_Washer said:

Thats Exactly what i was thinking, Unfortunately i think shovelware is gonna be terrible on the 3ds as another poster said they will make 3d games for the sake of making games and not in making a good game.

The same thing happened with the ds where every game was made to use the touchscreen even if the game didn't benefit from it at all.

I just hope we're not going to see a bunch of poorly made 3d games that do nothing but have balls flying into our faces.
Yeah, it's unfortunate about the shovelware. For the first 1-2 years we'll see shovelware games that were in mid-development for the DS, ported to the 3DS.
However, the 3DS is less kid-friendly than the DS, given the price point and mature titles, so we'll see a little less Petz and Baby Pals games.

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish Ninty was more strict with their what games they give the seal of approval. They used to be much more strict, making sure the games were good quality. Now anybody with a development license can get their game approved no matter how big a piece of shit it is.
mad.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The seal of quality is programming-wise and content-wise, not whether the game's subject is something you yourself would personally enjoy.

Making sure that the game is of an acceptable programming/usability quality (have any of you played half the NES games out there?) and that it's got the right content level/rating.

If you all think DS "shovelware" is bad, you're newbies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_52
QUOTE said:
The majority of the titles included on the cartridge had major glitches. The games have been known to freeze or crash due to programming flaws, have incomplete and/or endless levels, unresponsive controls, and confusing design.

In the game manual, each title had a one-sentence description. Some titles were described as completely different games and some were incorrectly described or miscategorized.

That's the shit we had to put up with before Nintendo tightened down.
That's an example of a game that's actually bad. That's shovelware.

But no, nowadays "shovelware" is an alias of "this game is for a market or age range other than myself so it immediately sucks".

D

Deleted-188346

Rydian said:
But no, nowadays "shovelware" is an alias of "this game is for a market or age range other than myself so it immediately sucks".
I disagree. I've found that the term shovelware generally applies to games that are shallow and of poor quality. It just so happens that these games are usually aimed at the younger market, but not always.

It's not an age thing, it's a quality thing.

I don't think that the definition has ever changed.
Excluding, however, xBox and Sony fans, who write off everything on the DS and Wii as shovelware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Read the release threads here? There have been quite a few where people cried "shovelware!" in the first replies simply because it wasn't a game from a select few publishers, only to find later it was actually a fun game.

I'm going to bring in the "judging a book by it's cover" phrase here.

D

Deleted-188346

Rydian said:
Read the release threads here? There have been quite a few where people cried "shovelware!" in the first replies simply because it wasn't a game from a select few publishers, only to find later it was actually a fun game.

I'm going to bring in the "judging a book by it's cover" phrase here.
Perhaps they assumed from either the title, cover art, theme, and unknown developer that it was shovelware?
Although I do agree that it's ignorant to disregard a game entirely because of such things.

I just don't think that it's about age. Lots of the shovelware titles share things in common, and so I can understand why some people might write off a game based on seeing the certain elements that are common among shovelware games.

This game appears to be shovelware, given the abysmal visuals for a 3DS title, combined with the sports minigame theme, and gimmicky control scheme. But, of course, we don't really know yet, it might be better than Ocarina Of Time, lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can