Hardware Dolphin Emulator running SLOW.

darkachraf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I'm using Dolphin emulator r7695, but New super mario bros: Wii is running way to slow,
is it because im using a .wbfs? should i make an iso from it?
I actually own the game.
Menu speed is 14 FPS , when i'm playing a level its 10-11 FPS.
I dont think its because of my specs, im using:

Windows 7 enterprise (64 bit)
Intel Core i7 CPU 2.13GHZ (4CPUs)
2048 MB RAM
DirectX11
Graphics card: INTEL HD Graphics (760 mb)

Is there anybody who could help me? I'd appreciate it.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
0_0
Why you got so little ram on an i7 machine?
I reckon you need
at least an extra 2GB ram and a mid range 1GB GPU (ATI/AMD or Nvidia).
With that shoudnt experience any troubles.
Ram probally not necessary though, i just think it will help overall computer
performance, from what ive heard these emus are mainly cpu/gpu intensive (cpu mainly).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
tueidj said:
Get a real graphics card.
or a REAL wii cos this is a WII forum
tongue.gif

darkachraf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be the ram, even if it isnt being used fully?
Its not the GPU that is the problem, The emulator uses mostly CPU.
But whats wrong with my CPU then? Can anybody explain?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From my experience with PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) the CPU is indeed the most important. You have an i7 so that's good. BUT I see each one of those cores only runs at 2,16GHz, and seeing Dolphin (just as PCSX2) only supports 2 cores to the fullest, that may very well be your problem.
It doesn't matter you have 4 cores, the emulator is programmed to only use 2 cores and if those cores don't work fast enough, there will be lag. Ideally you should have a super fast Dual Core for emulators, and not a Quadcore.

From their FAQ:
Q: The game runs very slow
A: Do not expect to get high FPS in all games, Dolphin is still in development and needs a fast CPU to run it (eg: 2-4+ Ghz SSE2 supported processor). Try enabling Dual Core under configure to speed it up.

darkachraf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
From my experience with PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) the CPU is indeed the most important. You have an i7 so that's good. BUT I see each one of those cores only runs at 2,16GHz, and seeing Dolphin (just as PCSX2) only supports 2 cores to the fullest, that may very well be your problem.
It doesn't matter you have 4 cores, the emulator is programmed to only use 2 cores and if those cores don't work fast enough, there will be lag. Ideally you should have a super fast Dual Core for emulators, and not a Quadcore.

From their FAQ:
Q: The game runs very slow
A: Do not expect to get high FPS in all games, Dolphin is still in development and needs a fast CPU to run it (eg: 2-4+ Ghz SSE2 supported processor). Try enabling Dual Core under configure to speed it up.

Thanks alot, this makes it more clear.
Is there any way I could speed up those cores? Any other things hardware/software to speed up the emulator?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Satangel said:
Nope. Dolphin needs both a decent CPU and GPU. Integrated graphics won't cut it. Trust me, I've got an i5 and I know how much the "Intel HD Graphics" sucks compared to even a $20 NVIDIA or ATI card.

darkachraf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Satangel said:
Nope. Dolphin needs both a decent CPU and GPU. Integrated graphics won't cut it. Trust me, I've got an i5 and I know how much the "Intel HD Graphics" sucks compared to even a $20 NVIDIA or ATI card.

The graphics are fine, and satangel was right. it's using more CPU than GPU. When i'm using dolphin 2 cores are being fully used. I can see that on speedfan.
Any way to speed up my processor or is it possible to fuse cores?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
darkachraf said:
tueidj said:
Satangel said:

The graphics are fine, and satangel was right. it's using more CPU than GPU. When i'm using dolphin 2 cores are being fully used. I can see that on speedfan.
Any way to speed up my processor or is it possible to fuse cores?

You need to learn a lot....

Anyway, you computer is just to slow to enjoy the use of Dolphin on full speed.
Get a faster Processor, more ram, and a nice midrange Videocard.
A wireless sensorbar and an Bluetooth dongle for your Wiimote.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
spinal_cord said:
Lower the gfx resolution to as low as you can, try switching between direct3d and openGL, buy some more RAM.

Intel cards have been optimized for Directx API (anything over DX9 engine will make things sloooooww..) . Those cards sucks at OpenGL. And since IGPs (Intel..) only have 8MB of real vram, a low res like spinal said, should help you.
Of course this would have been a bit different if you had a NVIDIA or ATI IGP..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission