Does anyone know of any good and free screen recorder?

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The ones I tried (Including CamStudio, HyperCam 2, BBFlashBack Screen Recorder) and a few other screen recorder programs did not want to record properly on my computer. I am looking for something which can record games in both full screen and windowed mode. Also, the software i'm looking for should allow me to set default hotkeys for record, pause and stop functions. If you can suggest a good screen recorder, please drop a reply below!

EDIT: The screen recorder i'm talking about must also have a decent selection of codecs to choose from and, it needs to have no errors in encoding a recorded screen. I've looked everywhere, nothing seems to be helping me!

D

Deleted-236924

Hey!
I've got an idea!

Why not use Camtasia Studio like you just said worked fine?

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey!
I've got an idea!

Why not use Camtasia Studio like you just said worked fine?
Because it's not free? Somewhat on topic: The only screen recorder I know is Hypercam, but if that doesn't work for you...

Don't worry, i'll just save up! While this was being answered, i tried a few. None worked too well, so Camtasia may be my last choice!

shoyrumaster11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't worry, i'll just save up! While this was being answered, i tried a few. None worked too well, so Camtasia may be my last choice!
You could always try to pirate. I doubt many people here actually own something like Photoshop.

Got too many viruses from that! Infact, i'm going to remove all my pirated software and buy it all again!

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The ones I tried (Including CamStudio, HyperCam 2, BBFlashBack Screen Recorder) and a few other screen recorder programs did not want to record properly on my computer. I am looking for something which can record games in both full screen and windowed mode. Also, the software i'm looking for should allow me to set default hotkeys for record, pause and stop functions. If you can suggest a good screen recorder, please drop a reply below!

EDIT: The screen recorder i'm talking about must also have a decent selection of codecs to choose from and, it needs to have no errors in encoding a recorded screen. I've looked everywhere, nothing seems to be helping me!
Did you try anyvideoconverter's video capture utility?
It work Great!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could always try to pirate. I doubt many people here actually own something like Photoshop.

Got too many viruses from that! Infact, i'm going to remove all my pirated software and buy it all again!

Then you're doing it wrong.

Hypercam 2 should work just fine. If anything, your computer is the problem and not the program. I have HC2 installed on my computer and I've recorded stuff just fine.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people seem to use either camtasia, dxtory, or Fraps. Usually dxtory or fraps as a main program and camtasia for things fraps and dxtory doesn't record well.

debugznl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For regular screencasts/recordings I usually go with Screencast-o-Matic. Doesn't come free ($15 for one year of support + updates and $29 for 3 years), but gets the job done pretty nicely. Crossplatform too btw.

For gamerecordings: go with Fraps/Bandicam/whatever. I personally don't care about modern day PC-gaming. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://sourceforge.net/projects/taksi/ seems to be getting updates again so I might point it out.

I tend not to screencapture these days other still images and things like emulators that usually have inbuilt capture functions, but the above worked well enough when it was a contest between fraps and it for game recording grade capture software.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
See, the thing about codec selection is that if a screen recorder is recording to highly-compressed video (h.264, xvid, etc.), it's going to be slow and laggy. If, on the other hand, it's recording to video that's not hihgly-compressed (such as how FRAPS/DXtory work), it's going to run about as fast as it can, but you'll need to convert the video files afterwards.

It's a tradeoff you'll need to live with, unless the slowdown from live compression isn't enough to bog down what you're doing (really low-spec game or something).

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
If you want to record games,
DxTory.
If you want to record things like a web browser or a windows explorer box,
Fraps.

DxTory has multiple codecs and is very customisable., Fraps can record DVM. Neither are free, but you won't get good free screen capturing software.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1