Hardware Does anyone know if it's even possible to repair a New Nintendo 2DS XL Micro SD Card slot...?

SithLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or replace a faulty slot with a new one?

I just bought a for parts New Nintendo 2DS XL system at a bargain at a retro store and so far, it has only two issues. A faulty battery pack(that causes the system to constantly shut off on its own or not power on properly) and a faulty micro SD card slot. I have no issues with replacing the battery on my own but the problem is the micro SD card slot. Whenever I insert a micro sd card into the slot, it feels like something is preventing the micro SD card from being inserted all the way(as if someone spilled a very tiny drop of glue or something sticky inside the slot and let it dry up inside) and then I turn on the system to verify that it doesn't detect it.

Is it possible to even repair the micro SD card slot on your own or am I just gonna have to suck it up with an irreplaceable faulty part?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Open up the N2DSXL carefully. Pay attention to the volume slider. It is easy to break off the notch of the internal slider (guess why I know this). Separating the case halves can be tedious.

Maybe you can find a small piece of junk inside once the console is open and remove it with tweezers -- that would be the good and easy case. But what I suspect is the spring mechanism inside is bent/defective. No idea how to repair this -- if even possible. Maybe you can arrange an SD inside in a way that is makes reliable contact and lock it into position if the pins inside aren't bent.

Unfortunately the SD-reader is soldered onto the motherboard -- unlike on the N3DS(XL) models were replacing it is a piece of cake. I have no idea if it is a standard part and/or if suitable replacements are readily available. You will need soldering experience with tiny points for attempting this repair. I would try a hot air station for desoldering the old part.

2DSXL_SD_Reader.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: CoolMe and IC_

BelfastGonzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I just bought a for parts New Nintendo 2DS XL system at a bargain at a retro store and so far, it has only two issues. A faulty battery pack(that causes the system to constantly shut off on its own or not power on properly) and a faulty micro SD card slot. I have no issues with replacing the battery on my own but the problem is the micro SD card slot. Whenever I insert a micro sd card into the slot, it feels like something is preventing the micro SD card from being inserted all the way(as if someone spilled a very tiny drop of glue or something sticky inside the slot and let it dry up inside) and then I turn on the system to verify that it doesn't detect it.

Is it possible to even repair the micro SD card slot on your own or am I just gonna have to suck it up with an irreplaceable faulty part?
Did you ever manage to fix this? I need to replace one too.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It’s absolutely possible. But a very difficult repair. Just get a replacement off eBay/Ali and be very careful. Make sure to use heatsink a when soldering

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer