Do you play every new game on hardest difficulty?

What difficulty do you start a new game on?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when i used to get new games to play, me and my brother would play it, when i play new game first time i start on whatever difficulty i feel is playable. My brother always play on hardest. I dunno why he does it so i wonder if anyone is like this. Does anyone else play new games on hardest difficulty?

To be clear i mean a brand new game you have not played before, and this only applies to games that have difficulty settings.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I generally try to since games these days are soft. There are some exceptions, though. Bayonetta, for example, kicked my ass on hard. Though I guess Bayonetta doesn't count since it doesn't let you play on Hard until you beat it on normal.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nope, harder difficulty doesn't necessarily make a game more fun. I usually go with normal difficulty as I figure that that gives you a good balance between fun and challenge.

Reactions: Hayleia

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can say yes and no to this. I usually play games on normal never easy on the first play through if it's a series I have never played before, but if it's a game in a series I have already played and I already have a understanding of the game mechanics, I go hard. :ha:

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It really depends. Usually, if I can't change the difficulty setting during the game, I just do some research to know the overall difficulty of the game. And just like SirECK, if it's a game from a series I know, I usually go for the hard way.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I choose the hardest difficulty when it's a series that i've spoiled myself or that i follow. Persona games (3P-Maniac, 4-Hard, 4G-I'll play it the first time on VeryHard surely, 5-Probably hard too once it comes out on PS3, if ever, PersonaQSoTL-Risky), i've finished all Kingdom Hearts games on Critical/Proud when the former isn't avaliable except the 1st one. As my ps2 broke and i've to borrow a PS3 to play it in Master Mode-Proud Mode.

Tried beating the PSP GoW games on hard (1st playthrough) and apparently those games are designed to be played on the harder difficulties only AFTER you've beaten the games at least once. I ragequitted.

Other than that yeah, i guess normal difficulty is fine. At least not too easy that it gets boring.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nope, harder difficulty doesn't necessarily make a game more fun. I usually go with normal difficulty as I figure that that gives you a good balance between fun and challenge.
This. Especially when I play a games I never played before, so I can discover its mechanics without too much hassle, then start over in hard mode once I finished it if I want more challenge.
Though yeah, I tend to avoid easy modes.

D

Deleted User

i usually start playing a bit on easy, just to get the feel of the game. then i start over after a few minutes on normal.

except for DOOM, i just went straight to "hurt me plenty"

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always play a game on the hardest difficulty. I mostly only enjoy skill based games, and it's not fun if I'm not being challenged. If it's too hard, I can always lower the difficulty after a few days of failing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will usually try everything, and then pick whatever one suits my mood and make up little challenges for myself along the way.

I also hate unlocking hard mode and will almost never play it if it is locked. I am fine with unlocking mirror mode, boss rush, crazy custom mode but I think I would rather unlock local multiplayer maps in single (and I hate that as well) than have hard mode gated from the start.

Last edited by FAST6191,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell no I wanna enjoy the game first. My older brother used to do that and then rage at games nonstop. The only time in recent memory was Doom 2016, the game was depressingly easy on hurt me plenty and needed to be played on ultra violence for some challenge.

Of course nightmare and ultra nightmare are only available to those who've beaten the game.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I usually play games on medium on first playthrough and then a harder difficulty on consecutive playthroughs. Some games I prefer playing on a harder difficulty if normal is too easy.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Medium or the default setting. Without sounding cliche: it's how the game is meant to be played. Besides: difficulty curves are mostly a matter of extra enemies, damage modifiers or life changes, and these don't interest me that much.
Horror games terms to be hard, but making them easy would remove the tension. Kirby games are too easy, but are fun just to play through.

I also started rocksmith a couple weeks ago. Playing straight on the hardest setting is just retarded if you've never held a guitar.

Eurasiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always play on medium to hard ish. Never on the hardest if its my first time around or easy (Been playing games too long to even consider playing easy on anything). And not all games are fun on the hardest difficulty imo. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro