• Total voters

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes + the puzzles and difficulty got downgraded a lot. Missing those harder dungeons

I'm not sure which Zelda games had hard puzzles.
I got a bit stumped in some 2D Zelda's but I don't think i've ever even once been puzzled by a dungeon in any 3D Zelda. They generally make the game so kid friendly that no dungeon has any complex puzzles. Most 'puzzles' just required backtracking to the right spots after getting the new dungeon item.

The hardest dungeons I can think of in Zelda would be Majora's Mask if you try collect all fairies, since the dungeons themselves aren't that hard to figure out.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not sure which Zelda games had hard puzzles.
I got a bit stumped in some 2D Zelda's but I don't think i've ever even once been puzzled by a dungeon in any 3D Zelda. They generally make the game so kid friendly that no dungeon has any complex puzzles. Most 'puzzles' just required backtracking to the right spots after getting the new dungeon item.

The hardest dungeons I can think of in Zelda would be Majora's Mask if you try collect all fairies, since the dungeons themselves aren't that hard to figure out.
I didn't say hard. I said harder dungeons. And ocarina of time and majora's mask wasn't that kid friendly. It was more directed at the older generation of Zelda fans

Reactions: ov3rkill

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't say hard. I said harder dungeons. And ocarina of time and majora's mask wasn't that kid friendly. It was more directed at the older generation of Zelda fans

They definitely weren't. As a Nintendo fan at the time I played it in elementary school and beat both without too much trouble.
The combat was incredibly forgiving. Link could take a hell of a beating and only a small number of things did any real damage.

The dungeons still weren't harder. They were just bigger. BOTW cuts out the boring backtracking and pointless rooms and just gives you the meat. A bunch of puzzles one after the other, and then a boss fight.
My only complaint is how less thematic the dungeons are. I loved the look and feel of dungeons in other 3D Zelda games more, but that's about it. They were way less fun to actually play through.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They definitely weren't. As a Nintendo fan at the time I played it in elementary school and beat both without too much trouble.
The combat was incredibly forgiving. Link could take a hell of a beating and only a small number of things did any real damage.

The dungeons still weren't harder. They were just bigger. BOTW cuts out the boring backtracking and pointless rooms and just gives you the meat. A bunch of puzzles one after the other, and then a boss fight.
My only complaint is how less thematic the dungeons are. I loved the look and feel of dungeons in other 3D Zelda games more, but that's about it. They were way less fun to actually play through.
That's your opinion then. My opinion is that these last years Zelda game got downgraded in a lot in difficulty. Not saying previous titles were hard but you had a lot more to do in a dungeon before completing it. Plus the Bosses in Botw are a joke compared to Zelda games 10 years prior. In previous titles you had to do a particular thing before they could even take damage and in Botw you can just spam them with arrows, easily destroying them without putting some basic thought in it. Everything in previous titles were puzzles and in botw everything feels button mashing without any thought put in 2 it. Just spam everything with arrows in botw and you'll easily defeat every single boss and complete the game.

Last edited by kumikochan,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the one boko/moblin camp where you have to stasis that sheet of metal off the ball platform, there's a chest around the ruins of the walls with a good sword. In the swampy muddy bit near the axe, in the mud is a metal chest with a good 2H sword. Both do a ton to hinox.
You don't have to use Stasis on the sheet of rock (were it metal, the magnet would work). I used an Octo Balloon to float it up out of the way.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah I really miss the big challenging dungeons, same feeling with albw, I feel it's a sign of the times with puzzles on par of a candy crush mini game, I feel they could have added some nice sprawling dungeon with it's own unique items, but I guess this is what gamers want now days, no challenge and reward, just all the abilities before you even leave the opening area or it's a crap game

And sure some games can over do it with back tracking stuff, but I always found Zelda dungeons nicely designed and the dengeon specific items added to the sense of mystery and rewards, basically it's like the 100 mario challenge on MARIO maker, you know zero effort was put into difficulty curves or flow of design, it's just feels like SPLAT! 100 standalone levels, enjoy

Some of the shrines feel like a old Zelda developer designed them, other just feel like they were thrown together by an intern because they needed to bulk the numbers up

Last edited by gamesquest1,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and I can not lie
You other 'tempers can't deny
That when a shrine pops up with an itty bitty quest
It's really not ace
Your head gets hung, you want it to be tough
'Cause you notice in games of old they were stuffed
Deep gameplay and no pointless wayfaring
It's a travesty and I can't stop flamebaiting
/cringe

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDk, overall the game is good. I made it to the first dungeon. Havent beat it yet just dont have alot of time to play the game.
Its a bit of a trade off. You get a ton of shrines with mini puzzles and boss vs 5 or 6 big dungeons.
So ehh.
Its something different and i like it. Its pretty cool. The big dungeons is a bit of a miss but at the same time the big world and all that is in it is good.

WE shall see how this takes zelda. The DLC is suppose to add another dungeon and story to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: you can be the host