Hacking Do not update your Switch and find a 1.0 if you can

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I highly doubt a 1.0 switch will make any difference, If anything is released with smhax it will be available with 3.0.
Yeah, that's what I would figure as well. It's not likely to make much of a difference but if my switch was on 1.0 still, I would leave it right where it is TBH.

The switch is roughly 2-3 times more powerful than a PS3.

Where did you get this figure from? That doesn't sound right to me. I'm not arguing one way or the other. That's a very complicated question (ie. "powerful" is an ambiguous term. It isn't a technical measurement) and in some ways, it's comparing apples to oranges but I have seen several side by side comparisons on games that run on multiple platforms and seeing the ps3 versions beside the Switch versions there didn't seem to be a 2-3x difference in anything to me.

If I were to guess I would say they're likely quite similar in most respects. Some architectures are better suited to certain purposes better than others, and the ps3 architecture is pretty exotic. Developers are still learning to squeeze more juice out of the PS3 and its getting awful close to its EOL (at least in Sony's view, that is). The ARM architecture is ubiquitous now and is probably the main target for most Dev's as it powers so many devices but in my understanding it's better suited to low power applications. To squeeze every possible ounce of math operations/parallel processing I would imagine your probably going to design something more like the PS3 CELL architecture than ARM if you were going to design from the ground up.

(this is just off the cuff guessing from a layman, take it with a grain of salt)

D

Deleted User

Yeah, that's what I would figure as well. It's not likely to make much of a difference but if my switch was on 1.0 still, I would leave it right where it is TBH.

Where did you get this figure from? That doesn't sound right to me. I'm not arguing one way or the other. That's a very complicated question (ie. "powerful" is an ambiguous term. It isn't a technical measurement) and in some ways, it's comparing apples to oranges but I have seen several side by side comparisons on games that run on multiple platforms and seeing the ps3 versions beside the Switch versions there didn't seem to be a 2-3x difference in anything to me.

If I were to guess I would say they're likely quite similar in most respects. Some architectures are better suited to certain purposes better than others, and the ps3 architecture is pretty exotic. Developers are still learning to squeeze more juice out of the PS3 and its getting awful close to its EOL (at least in Sony's view, that is). The ARM architecture is ubiquitous now and is probably the main target for most Dev's as it powers so many devices but in my understanding it's better suited to low power applications. To squeeze every possible ounce of math operations/parallel processing I would imagine your probably going to design something more like the PS3 CELL architecture than ARM if you were going to design from the ground up.

(this is just off the cuff guessing from a layman, take it with a grain of salt)
Yeah you are right. I exaggerated. I rode somewhere form an developer statemant that the Switch is more closer in Terms of Power to an PS3 than the XBOX One or PS4. Of course the Switch has much more advance shaders and architecture.
And it doesn´t suffer from the bottlenecks the PS3 has.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL! Stay with FW 1.0.0 ? Absolutely not. 3.0.0 is the best one for hacking.
That's great, but you know you can always upgrade right. You can't downgrade. There's literally no advantage whatsoever in having 3.0 over a lower fw right now (regarding HB), unless you are actively working on development. This is coming from someone on 3.0, just to be clear.

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insert Star Trek Q joke: Why? Because I can! Wahahaha!

Exactly, I can so I will. Don't knock us because we can.

The Switch is trash anyway, it's easy to keep it on 1.0...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wow youre an idiot, why mention wiiu when im talking about power/portability here
show me a console as powerful as the switch while being portable at the same time

Also the WiiU played mario cart at 720p while the switch plays it at a full 1080p
theres nothing slightly powerful about that

your reply was useless

While you're right that it is the only portable pushing good titles at 1080p, it doesn't make it impressive imo. This little 1080p 30fps box is junk and in the grand scheme of technology, a gaming laptop would be a better investment. If emulation doesn't hit this thing, it'll be just another piece of tech for the trash heap.

Using my shield tablet for streaming is a more entertaining experience.

Last edited by Gootah,
D

Deleted User

I think more... on all the Nintendo consoles. There is really no homebrew "games". Closest I think I seen is the Portal clone for the DS. Else it's more or less Doom or Quake.
Well there are a couple of homebrew games. Especially for gba. Don´t want to argue to much though. It´s your opinion.

Dinzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But who still has a 1.0 Switch?

I have the same question. Why would staying on 1.0 be beneficial when the hack is still available up to 3.0? Most who have not gone past 3.0.0 will likely be at 3.0.0 or close to it. Wouldn't devs target 3.0 for HB for all hacks?

I actually have a 1.0 JP unit I got off ebay in a semi stupid move to procure a backup. I was surprised by that and that it included 1,2 switch when I opened it 20 minutes ago. It was unused and apparently the person sat on it for several months. I also have a Splatoon bundle that is at 3.0 and has been sitting untouched for a month. If I update the 1.0 to play and download splatoon then I will have a 3.0 unit to spare for any future Homebrew/loader or whatnot. If I keep the 1.0 one at 1.0 then I might have to jump through some hoops to get it to 3.0.0 when and if a hack arrives. As of now a hoop to do so is to load 3.0 off of a game that shipped with it and I am not really interested in doing that, nor do I want to spend more money just because of some weird notion that a 1.0 unit is better. I suppose there could be a deeper flaw in that but again why would hacking efforts focus on that when there are so few 1.0s out there.

Argh. Decisions. Decisions. I will need to decide by the SMO launch.

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same question. Why would staying on 1.0 be beneficial when the hack is still available up to 3.0? Most who have not gone past 3.0.0 will likely be at 3.0.0 or close to it. Wouldn't devs target 3.0 for HB for all hacks?

I actually have a 1.0 JP unit I got off ebay in a semi stupid move to procure a backup. I was surprised by that and that it included 1,2 switch when I opened it 20 minutes ago. It was unused and apparently the person sat on it for several months. I also have a Splatoon bundle that is at 3.0 and has been sitting untouched for a month. If I update the 1.0 to play and download splatoon then I will have a 3.0 unit to spare for any future Homebrew/loader or whatnot. If I keep the 1.0 one at 1.0 then I might have to jump through some hoops to get it to 3.0.0 when and if a hack arrives. As of now a hoop to do so is to load 3.0 off of a game that shipped with it and I am not really interested in doing that, nor do I want to spend more money just because of some weird notion that a 1.0 unit is better. I suppose there could be a deeper flaw in that but again why would hacking efforts focus on that when there are so few 1.0s out there.

The general consensus is that 1.0 may carry the most vulnerabilities retrospectively and retroactively. Usually updates include security patches. From 1.0 to 3.0 you could conclude that there were a number of patches. While current development is on 3.0 any vulnerabilities found could possible be expanded on a more vulnerable firmware. Case in point, 3DS. Many of the exploits found on 3DS are used to first downgrade to a lower, more exploitable, fw. From there you're in hack heaven.

It's just theory I guess.

HotShotAzn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I had thought I read that all hacking effort was done on 3.0 and any publicly released hack would be for 3.0. If I were you, I'd update my 1.0. Finding a cartridge to just update to 3.0 seems like a PIA and not worth the money.

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had thought I read that all hacking effort was done on 3.0 and any publicly released hack would be for 3.0. If I were you, I'd update my 1.0. Finding a cartridge to just update to 3.0 seems like a PIA and not worth the money.

It depends on whether or not you can stand not playing your Switch. Peep the scenario:

Scenario 1
Homebrew hits 3.0, so you update. CFW hits 1.0, what do you do now? -You're screwed

Scenario 2
Homebrew hits 1.0, you use it. Super homebrew hits 3.0, what do you do now? -You update

Dinzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The general consensus is that 1.0 may carry the most vulnerabilities retrospectively and retroactively. Usually updates include security patches. From 1.0 to 3.0 you could conclude that there were a number of patches. While current development is on 3.0 any vulnerabilities found could possible be expanded on a more vulnerable firmware. Case in point, 3DS. Many of the exploits found on 3DS are used to first downgrade to a lower, more exploitable, fw. From there you're in hack heaven.

It's just theory I guess.

I don't doubt this at all. There is a chance that 1.0 could have an exploit that allows more goodies than 3.0. To my knowledge though, nobody knows so it is a crap shoot.

I am leaning this way unless someone can point out a specific flaw and/or development effort that is targeting 1.0. My only qualm is that it is irreversible. I was expecting a 2.x version not a 1.0. I don't even know that I want a hacked switch, I just have mental issues when it comes to this crap. I have to have a hacked console if it exists. I have had hacked PS1/2/3, XBo.g./several360s FW and JTAG hacks, a Wii and even a fricking 3ds I never use. My WiiU had me purchase something like 7 games total. I suppose I could have pirated Zelda by the time it came out. That is not much more expensive than buying a second system so what is the point? I just fell like i have to go through the pain in the ass to do it just because I can. I also have this PC hooked up to my TV which serves as a gaming/everything machine. Windows runs almost everything.

What I should be doing is giving my nieces one of these stupid things for Xmas.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I typically avoid question statements in threads like these. I could have easily looked this up on google but this thread kind of went spiral over one question,
Yeah I'm probably just better off leaving comments on this forum :P I can barley know when to reply when I'm not actually tagged or quoted.

In other words, instead of having an actual discussion and seeing tagged posts or replies all I ever see is people talking about two or three topics in one thread. In this case I kind of made one of those topics that manifested into its own if I'm reading this correctly.

So sorry?

Last edited by petethepug, , Reason: idk

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I'll make the decision for you. You can't update to 3.0 anymore without a cartridge, the current version is 3.0.2 if you OTA update you will be past the currently exploitable version.

In other news, I'm not sure whether everybody in this thread missed it or if they just forgot, but as documented here--> https://reswitched.tech/rohan a major flaw was discovered that was introduced in (and only in) FW 3.0 that is due to a security patch and does not affect any other version except 3.0 so that will very likely be the target FW for the foreseeable future. That doesn't necessarily mean that any software targeting 3.0 will not be able to be ported to earlier versions, it may or may not but the fact remains that you can always update, but you can not downgrade.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

HotShotAzn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll make the decision for you. You can't update to 3.0 anymore without a cartridge, the current version is 3.0.2 if you OTA update you will be past the currently exploitable version.

I might be wrong but I thought @Dinzy was thinking of either:

1. Upgrading his 1.0 to 3.0.2 in order to play Splatoon 2 and Oddessy while leaving the 3.0 stock
  2. Leaving his 1.0 stock and upgrading the 3.0 to 3.0.2 with the hopes of HB on the 1.0 at some point or also having the option of cartridge updating to 3.0

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I might be wrong but I thought @Dinzy was thinking of either:

1. Upgrading his 1.0 to 3.0.2 in order to play Splatoon 2 and Oddessy while leaving the 3.0 stock
  2. Leaving his 1.0 stock and upgrading the 3.0 to 3.0.2 with the hopes of HB on the 1.0 at some point or also having the option of cartridge updating to 3.0
I think, version 1 sounds more logical

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright