Hacking DML is such a pain in the arse

Blimps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep! Another thread of this. XD

Hi everyone, just made an account after lurking for so long. I've been trying to get Gamecube games working on my wii and my friends. Devolution is out of the question for him, since he has Fire Emblem that he already set himself; USB loader GX still loads the cover and everything. I've got DIOS MIOS 2.6, USB Loader 3.0, this is a version 4.3U thats on IOS249, with Wiiflow that I don't really use. Gecko is on here too, but haven't found much of a use for it.
[if this helps any, the credits state: d2x v6 base37]

I've checked the paths:
Main Gamecube path= USB1\Games , the path matches on the USB Drive
SD gamecube path = SD\Games, Path matches on the SD card

it goes to the splash screen before saying "Fatal error apploader size is zero!" I put in my retail tales of symphonia disk in and tried booting Fire Emblem and of course, Tales booted up.

I plugged in my USB drive where I have clean ISO's, but mine don't show up [haven't used DMLToolbox yet on them so they're probably not formatted correctly?]. I have a 200GB drive that's formatted FAT32 with 32bit clusters and it runs my wii games just fine.

His SD card is FAT and has been changed to have 32 bit clusters too, but I'm still getting the error. It's been pissing me off :[ I enabled DML settings to no luck either...

Any idesa? D;

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBloadreGX 3.0 was released before DIOS MIOS (with USB support) was released. So that version of the loader only support DIOS MIOS Lite (SD card only) because it was the only available launching method back then.
It's also compatible only with DIOS MIOS Lite up to v2.1

If you want to launch games using DIOS MIOS (or DIOS MIOS Lite2.2+), you need to use a beta version of USBLoaderGX released after 3.0 (current latest beta is 1204)

It's only available as boot.dol for the homebrew channel or the forwarder channel.
Put the file located in the folder "IOS249/boot.dol" into "SD :/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol"

Blimps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo! Thanks for replying Cyan :)

Does that version DIOS MIOS support USB, since DIOS MIOS Lite doesn't? I tried launching the new version right now and it hasn't worked yet. I get to the DIOS MIOS splash screen with games running on the SD card:[

The game in question on the SD card: Fire emblem: Radiant Dawn [GFEE01]

So far:
Neogamma: Instead of booting from SD, it reads it from the disc when its specifically told [SD].
DML Booter: Get's stuck in the splash screen
USB Loader GX: Stuck at the splash screen

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Go to the USBloaderGX credit and look at the detected version of MIOS (at the top left)
If you see "DIOS MIOS" then you need to put the games on USB
if you see "DIOS MIOS Lite" then you need to put the games on SD

You can only have one MIOS at a time, and switching from one to another require that you use a wad manager (another homebrew, not inside the loader).

about usbloaderGX:
now, current version is 1205 if you want detection for latest dios mios version 2.6
but with 1204 it's working fine too, you just don't see the correct version number.

About neogamma:
It might read it from disc because you are using a version of DIOS MIOS (Lite) newer than the know version by neogamma. new version of DM require new version of the loaders. if the versions are wrong, it launch from disc instead of USB/SD.

About getting stuck on splash screen:
Maybe you don't have the games/HDD in the correct format/partition.

The HDD must have the first partition as FAT32, 32k sluster (you said it's 32k already).
The games must be located on the first partition (usb1 so it's fine in your config file)
I think your FAT32 is not the first partition of your HDD.

DM is mounting the first partition, and not finding the game as it's on another partition.

Blimps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll edit this once I finish installing r1205 (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4lnp59273vz5tq7)?

I've been using MMM (MultiMod Manager to switch in between uninstalling Lite and installing 2.6, then vica versa)
I switched to USB temporarily and moved over the ISO to usb/games/
Exact stats in the credits:
DIOS.MIOS v2.5+
Rev1204 IOS249 (Rev 21006)
D2x v6 base 37
Turns out the isos were in .gcm format, it detected it once I switched it over to .iso, but while fire emblem still stays stuck at the black screen my copy of metroid says "fatal error app_main: dst not in mem1!", Mario Kart Double dash justs asks me if I want to install it to the SD card [no]
Checked, is my drive (http://i.imgur.com/IBd8t.png) configured correctly? Drive 2 is the SD card, Drive 3 is the HDD.

I think you're right on Neogamme! It may be too outdated by now, CFG Loader seems to be handling stuff okay though!

update with USB Loader GX:
Woah... USB worked with 1205 using DIOS MIOS 2.6,
uninstalled, switched to DIOS MIOS Lite with still using 1205 to boot from SD : splash screen

Yet... cfg usb loader gets stuck at the splash screen too with SD with Lite. :\ hm...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't need to uninstall DM/DML, you can install the new one over it, it replace only two files each time. (the MIOS itself and a text file with the current installed version).

USBLoaderGX should detect the .gcm file as iso too, without the need to rename it.
But it's better if you just rename the file, as DM/L will search of "game.iso" if you use multidiscs games.

Your partition for Wii/gameCube is clearly NOT the first partition of the drive.
USBloaderGX list all partitions, but DIOS MIOS mount always the first partition to look for the game.

Your current setup:
Disk3:
Partition1: System Reserved - Logical
Partition2: PSX - Logical
Partition3: Wii - Primary
Partition4: CISN - Logical

It should be like that:
Disk3:
Partition1: Wii - Primary - FAT32
Partition2: Extended
Partition2.1: PSX - Logical
Partition2.2: CISN - Logical​
And no "reserved" partition for your system, which I suppose should also be the first partition on the drive for your computer to use it, so you can't have both that "reserved" and a GameCube compatible HDD.

I don't understand what's this 100MB reserved partition is used for, even less why it's inside an extended partition.
a clean HDD should have up to 4 primary or extended partitions.
Logical partitions should be inside one big extended partitions. (you can make one logical per extended, but it's useless, extended are created to bypass the limit of 4 partitions)
Booting partitions (the one which can have Operating System for computers) need to be a Primary partition. So your "system" partition being a logical one makes no sense for me.

Blimps

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry or the late update! It worked fine but only from CFG loader, usbloader gx worked fine with the newest (1204) version but only with DIOS MIOS 2.6. Didn't have to modify anything with the USB drive >.>

I also used that same hard drive for school work/virtual machines but it didn't make much of a difference as long as the primary partition is active, so the wii looks for it first. The sys reserved partition still works somehow as a logical partition but its necessary for the PC to read the drive, Gamecube games are still compatible with the USB drive as long as they're on the same drive as the wii drives.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You mean that DIOS MIOS is working fine with the primary partition being the third one on the drive?
So it's looking at the first primary partition, not the partitions themselves?
I'm not sure to understand what you said about the Wii drives.

I thought logical partition needed extended partitions. (maybe your program doesn't display extended partition?)
And the PC (at least on Windows) doesn't need a "system reserved" logical partition to find the OS. are you using Win7? All it need is one partition to be set as Active, this is where you install your OS. (are you using multi-boot OS? Windows/Linux/etc?)

I would like to do some tests, are you ok to do it for me? just run a version of USBloaderGX, run a gameCube game from USB and tell me the text you see. very easy.
If you are ok, I'll send you a link to that test build.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc