DK Rap composer excluded from Super Mario Bros. Movie credits

donkey_kong_super_mario_movie.png

A few days ago, the Super Mario Bros. Movie Twitter account announced that the iconic DK Rap from Donkey Kong 64 would be in the new film, with a short video of Seth Rogen (the movie's voice for DK) watching the game's opening sequence and deeming it "objectively one of the worst rap songs of all time." DK Rap composer Grant Kirkhope was initially excited at its inclusion, but has turned around after it was pointed out by James Burt on Twitter that the song is only credited as being "from Donkey Kong 64."

"I was really looking forward to see my name in the credits for the DK Rap, but alas as expected it's not there ........ fml," tweeted Kirkhope, who also called the situation "depressing."

It appears Kirkhope may not have been the only the composer excluded, however. While Koji Kondo is credited, he also worked with the film's composers to rework some of his own music. Some in-theater screenshots taken from users on Twitter show that the song "Attack! Fury Bowser!" is only credited as "from Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury."

Despite some positive press leading up to its release, reviews for The Super Mario Bros. Movie have been lukewarm so far. Carrying a 54% and 49 from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (albeit with a 98% and 78 from user reviews on those same sites) at the time of writing, the consensus seems to be that it lacks substance but will please fans with its easter eggs.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is in theatres now.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um...wasn't that debunked ages ago?
Which do you mean? Because it's almost painfully blunt that Nintendo very much listens to shigeru's whims and whimsy, to the point of blocking and outright ignoring any franchise he doesn't explicitly like.

We can't even get them to consider a new f-zero because Miyamoto doesn't care for the franchise. And he dragged his heels this long for the prime remake because he somehow believed prime 4 would have been done and released already. And he doesn't care about Metroid, but the board recognizes that Metroid makes money in the west.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This movie already sucks Donkey Kong. :rofl2:
Post automatically merged:

The Wreck It Ralph 2 Rick Roll was a good one
It never gave anybody up.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could also like...not spoil a cool surprise that the movie had to offer and put it on the front page?
It's April 5th, the movie came out today. Keep this to yourself.
OH MY GOD! A song is in this movie! It's ruined! I can't believe someone told me a song from a game donkey kong is in this movie that donkey kong is in! No one should be allowed to discuss deep seated issues in the game development business if that also means mentioning a single song thats in the movie!
Besides, the front page doesn't even "spoil" that the song is in the movie. It just says that grant kirkhope, the person who composed the dk rap, was excluded from the credits. He could have been excluded for any reason. You would have had to open and read the article before you get spoiled. Thats your problem at that point.

Last edited by samcambolt270,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could also like...not spoil a cool surprise that the movie had to offer and put it on the front page?
It's April 5th, the movie came out today. Keep this to yourself.
Like, it doesn't mention anywhere where there's spoilers, I honestly don't get why you're over-reacting thinking that a song counts as spoilers. The only thing it talks about is the composer not getting mentioned in the credits for their DK rap.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-snip-

This best describes you. Like, it doesn't mention anywhere where there's spoilers, I honestly don't get why you're over-reacting thinking that a song counts as spoilers. The only thing it talks about is the composer not getting mentioned in the credits for their DK rap. Get a grip of yourself, kid.
I see where he's coming from. If the Sonic movie 3's soundtrack (which is said to include Crush 40 songs) was spoiled so soon after the movie came out, I'd be annoyed too. Maybe you don't care about the movie enough to consider this a spoiler (in this case I don't, honestly couldn't care less about the movie), but some people do.

Last edited by osaka35,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see where she's coming from. If the Sonic movie 3's soundtrack (which is said to include Crush 40 songs) was spoiled so soon after the movie came out, I'd be annoyed too. Maybe you don't care about the movie enough to consider this a spoiler (in this case I don't, honestly couldn't care less about the movie), but some people do.
That is your opinion at least for you.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
so they need to credit every single people who did every single little contribution to Mario franchise since 1989 (or 1982 or whenever)?

The guy that had the idea of putting karts racing on rainbows is on the credits too?
This is willfully obtuse, and I think you know it. That's literally not what anyone is saying: Just that if musical compositions are directly lifted from games to be included here, then YES, the artist should be credited! It makes no sense to say the name of the game a song is from, but not credit the composer.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
obviously they should have had a header of music from the games (worded better), the name of the game centered, then the name of song and the composer. it's standard stuff, don't know why they're going out of their way to not credit.

i have zero interest in watching this, though. seems like it's 50% cringe and 50% references.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its technically not his song, right. It's Rare's. He made the song for Rare. And they sure not going to credit Rare for shit.
Thats not how it works. The song *belongs* to rare, but the credit still goes to the composer. They would have already had to have gotten rares permission for the use, credit isn't required for them. The composer is the one who gets credit regardless of ownership. They wouldnt have had to credit rare at all, merely grant kirkhope.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Which do you mean? Because it's almost painfully blunt that Nintendo very much listens to shigeru's whims and whimsy, to the point of blocking and outright ignoring any franchise he doesn't explicitly like.

We can't even get them to consider a new f-zero because Miyamoto doesn't care for the franchise. And he dragged his heels this long for the prime remake because he somehow believed prime 4 would have been done and released already. And he doesn't care about Metroid, but the board recognizes that Metroid makes money in the west.
Source plz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1