Status
Not open for further replies.

'The Super Mario Bros. Movie' breaks U.S. box office records during its opening weekend

mario movie.JPG

The Super Mario Bros. Movie premiered a few days ago on April 5 and it has broken U.S. box office records over its opening weekend, even if it has received mixed reviews among critics. The animated movie based on the iconic Nintendo franchise has grossed $204.6 million in its first five days of screening across the U.S. and $173 million in international earnings. These numbers broke records for video game adaptations, and make the Mario movie the biggest opening of 2023 and the second biggest three-day domestic animated opening behind Finding Dory.

Have you seen he Super Mario Bros. Movie in theatres? If so, what did you think or it? And if not, will you be seeing it soon?

:arrow: SOURCE

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh and Detective Pikachu was really decent and Pokémon is a Nintendo property. I'm very confident Mario was so bad because they chose Illumination. DreamWorks Animation has been owned by Universal since 2016 so we could've potentially ended up with something as good as Shrek 1 and 2 and the Puss in Boots movies or the Kungfu Panda movies.
Hope they make a dub that removes chris ratt
I hope they make a dub where the characters actually sound like people speaking realistically instead of having over the top cartoony inflections I'd expect from a fan dub. I thought Chris Pratt was one of the better performers in the movie, Seth Rogen's DK was pretty bad IMO, it sounded like in the fight scene he was trying to do some bad California surfer accent. I thought Peach was pretty bad too, when your one sentence lines have enough different inflections it sounds like 3 or 4 very different takes spliced together I have a hard time finding it believable, it's like nails on a chalkboard. Not faulting the actress for that, it's the director's fault.
literally anyone who dislikes this movie is just a miserable person choosing to not like this, I haven't even seen it yet but so excited to take my kid to see it soon

its Mario on the big screen whats not to like?
If you haven't seen it you can't say other people are wrong for not liking it. Most people watch movies for the story or writing (like comedies without much story). They don't watch movies to flap their arms and fangirl screech because a video game character or object they like is on screen.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I went to the cinema on launch day here on April 7th. As a Mario fan since I was 3, this movie was honestly everything I wished for from a Mario movie and I wholeheartedly recommend it to every single Mario fan out there. Just don't listen to the critics, they seem to have never played a Mario game in their life...

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to the cinema on launch day here on April 7th. As a Mario fan since I was 3, this movie was honestly everything I wished for from a Mario movie and I wholeheartedly recommend it to every single Mario fan out there. Just don't listen to the critics, they seem to have never played a Mario game in their life...
And I thought Sonic fans had low standards.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“Stop liking what I don’t like!”
When the majority of praise is "IT'S MARIO ON THE BIG SCREEN WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT" and the criticisms are about the lack of actual story or development, it's pretty safe to assume it's a bad movie. It's not gonna make it on any of the worst movie of all time lists, but it's it's worse than Uwe Boll movies.

Reactions: Draxikor

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When the majority of praise is "IT'S MARIO ON THE BIG SCREEN WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT" and the criticisms are about the lack of actual story or development, it's pretty safe to assume it's a bad movie. It's not gonna make it on any of the worst movie of all time lists, but it's it's worse than Uwe Boll movies.

Dude. We get it. You didn't like it. But worse than Uwe Boll movies? C'mon. Stop being so overly dramatic about it and stfu already.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It’s a Mario movie aimed more at kids. Kids movies usually lack story or development. If you‘re wanting that, there are more “adult” oriented movies. Hell, even Disney has been riding this kids’ formula pretty successfully, since most of their movies follow a cookie cutter story that are always predictable. Still they’re met with blind praise and usually high ratings. It’s weird to aim at the Mario Bros movie with such a high standard when those same critics praise bland movies. I’d bet they weren’t offered a nice sum from Nintendo to give it a fair shake. People enjoyed the movie, so these critics aren’t really worth their weight are they?

If you don’t like it? Fine. If you think you won’t like it and refuse to give it a chance? That’s cool, too. It doesn’t mean those of us who did enjoy it have low standards.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s a Mario movie aimed more at kids. Kids movies usually lack story or development. If you‘re wanting that, there are more “adult” oriented movies. Hell, even Disney has been riding this kids’ formula pretty successfully, since most of their movies follow a cookie cutter story that are always predictable. Still they’re met with blind praise and usually high ratings. It’s weird to aim at the Mario Bros movie with such a high standard when those same critics praise bland movies. I’d bet they weren’t offered a nice sum from Nintendo to give it a fair shake. People enjoyed the movie, so these critics aren’t really worth their weight are they?

If you don’t like it? Fine. If you think you won’t like it and refuse to give it a chance? That’s cool, too. It doesn’t mean those of us who did enjoy it have low standards.
Plenty of kids movies have jokes and story adults can appreciate.

ArgoRV

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
movie is good
oriented for kids, but still adults can enjoy it very much. even more if they are mario fans
graphics are great, soundtrack is great, storyline is good enough for a kid to understand so dont expect any fight club storyline
is just a family movie, good enought to watch it twice if you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel